Q701 impressions thread
Jul 2, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #1,426 of 9,602
Hi,

I just recently got my self a Q701, and found that the ear pads are very hard and uncomfortable.  Do these get softer over time? I find that my lower jaw hurt after only 30 minutes of usage.  I'm afraid I have to return the headphone, but thought I ask and see if I should give it more time.

Thanks.

Jul 2, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #1,427 of 9,602
I will say that the earpads did hurt me to at first, there very firm, the headband hurt on longs sessions, after about a week i couldnt even tell i was wearing them, you experience may vary, but give them some time.

Jul 2, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #1,428 of 9,602
Thanks for the quick response.  Ok give it more use and see how it improve.. on the side note, any one here know how does DT880 ear pad/head band comfort level is?  I'm starting to careless of sound quality between these headphones and just go for the more comfortable one.

As for sound quality I find the sound stage very wide, wider than my dad's hd600.  However I feel that the Q701 a bit "bright" I guess compare to the hd600, hd600 mid range is a bit more pleasant to the ear for me.  Maybe I'm not using good enough amplifier and/or not enough burn in, I'm using the E17 with both hd600 and q701 for comparison now, and only got about 24 hours burn-in time.

Thanks.

Jul 2, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #1,429 of 9,602
Quote:
Hi,

I just recently got my self a Q701, and found that the ear pads are very hard and uncomfortable.  Do these get softer over time? I find that my lower jaw hurt after only 30 minutes of usage.  I'm afraid I have to return the headphone, but thought I ask and see if I should give it more time.

Thanks.

One of those things about the Q701 that makes you think whether anyone in AKG ever tried to put them on before they went into production. I definitely don't see a reason for pads so hard, they're definitely the stiffest of any headphone I ever tried, and the headband is a torture device after 1-2 hours.

Jul 2, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #1,430 of 9,602
I think some people are more sensitive to comfort than others, but your right the headband looks great, but its a very bad design for comfort.  The ear pads are very stiff, i found them to hurt my ears the first week a little, but then i guess they broke in and there felt great.  They definitly should have put more thought into the comfort.

One another note i did sell my Q701s and got the K550s, been playing with them for a day, now that i have a good listen and time to compare the 2, i would say without a doubt the Q701 is a better overall sounding headphone.  I guess it took me buying and returning to do a good comparison.  I wont be keeping the K550s, i realize my next move is to buy a good amp, then im going to try the HD 650s and if i dont like those i may end up with the Q701s again, i dont think i gave them a full chance, i never amped them.

Jul 2, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #1,431 of 9,602
KMSV,

The DT880 is like having two pillows strapped (lightly!) to your head (at least the 2005 version I have is - I cannot believe they'll have changed them too much!) - The only headphone I've had that was more comfortable was the Sony MDR-F1...

Very little pressure when compared to the AKGs (but, their tonal balance shifts to a more V shaped sound than the linear-ish sounding AKGs)...

I hope this helps!

Jul 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #1,432 of 9,602
Quote:
KMSV,

The DT880 is like having two pillows strapped (lightly!) to your head (at least the 2005 version I have is - I cannot believe they'll have changed them too much!) - The only headphone I've had that was more comfortable was the Sony MDR-F1...

Very little pressure when compared to the AKGs (but, their tonal balance shifts to a more V shaped sound than the linear-ish sounding AKGs)...

I hope this helps!

I agree, DT880s are VERY comfortable.

In the interests of full disclosure, I should point out that I find that the Q701s are almost as comfortable, for whatever reasons they don't bother me.   Yes, I have a full head of hair, if that makes difference??
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #1,433 of 9,602
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.

I found this too and it worried me for a while, as I experienced a bit pain below my ear next to my jaw, but after about a week they start to mold to the shape of your head and before you know it they'll be very comfortable.
I now think they are very good, long lasting pads. Softer pads don't last as long and need replacing more often (hd650 for instance and quite expensive!)

Jul 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #1,434 of 9,602
Quote:
One another note i did sell my Q701s and got the K550s, been playing with them for a day, now that i have a good listen and time to compare the 2, i would say without a doubt the Q701 is a better overall sounding headphone.  I guess it took me buying and returning to do a good comparison.  I wont be keeping the K550s, i realize my next move is to buy a good amp, then im going to try the HD 650s and if i dont like those i may end up with the Q701s again, i dont think i gave them a full chance, i never amped them.

Instead of an amp and the HD-650, you should see if you can demo the HD-598 somewhere. I pretty much use an amp with every headphone I have, but the 598 is perfectly fine straight out of even my Sansa Clip+. Always best with an amp of course.
The HD-598 IMO has more treble than the HD-600/650, but I could never imagine anyone every being bothered by it.

K601 also has less treble than the Q701, but it's hard to find now for under $200. Requires a desktop amp though and is even harder to drive than the Q701.

Jul 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #1,435 of 9,602
I'd like to know where this magical heap of returned Q701s is.... wouldn't mind an extra pair for free 
wink_face.gif

Jul 2, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #1,436 of 9,602
lol hsubox...

With this new amp of mine, I'd happily pay full retail for another six pairs - an amazing addition, certainly smokes the Fiio E9...

,..that may be stating the obvious, and isn't belittling of the E9, but it does show that when you think you've got a good little setup, there will always something to trump it lol...

Jul 2, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #1,437 of 9,602
Quote:
I'd like to know where this magical heap of returned Q701s is.... wouldn't mind an extra pair for free 
wink_face.gif

Probably all end up on Ebay. Good thing there's no "new open box" option for headphones on Ebay. Only new sealed or used.

Though many "used" Q701 actually have the picture directly from AKG's website, instead of an actual picture of the item. It's something to watch out for.

Jul 2, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #1,439 of 9,602
That headband doesn't bother me in the least. Sure, it takes like a week of taking used to, but then it's an absolute non-issue.

Jul 2, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #1,440 of 9,602
Quote:

Any headphone with a headband like the Q701 deserves NO chance in the first place...
tongue.gif

Anyone who doesn't give a  ~$250 headphone a chance because they don't feel like adding padding to the headband, doesn't deserve them anyways 
tongue_smile.gif

(*pst....AKG, add some more padding...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back