Q701 impressions thread
Jul 9, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #1,456 of 9,603
Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/594927/akg-q701-vs-akg-k702-comparison-review

It's an endless story ... , one K702 and one Q701 it's not enough , one or many head fiers shouldl gather 3 K701 , 3 K702 , 3 Q 701 , each with distanced batch in time , here we could get some real conclusion .

Process manufacturing can  have slight difference etc etc . 

Thank you for volunteering!  
k701smile.gif

You are volunteering, aren't you?

OK, I kid, I kid!

Jul 9, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #1,458 of 9,603
Quote:

Thank you for volunteering!  
k701smile.gif

You are volunteering, aren't you?

OK, I kid, I kid!

Maybe Inner Fidelity should do an article on it, and get multiple pairs of K701 and Q701 and compare....
popcorn.gif

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #1,459 of 9,603
I'm just about really to order the AKG Q701 Black, but I want to buy from an authorised reseller to make sure I'm covered for warranty and the AKG site is acting funny.
So does anyone know which major internet sellers are authorised resellers, like Amazon? or J&R?

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #1,460 of 9,603
I have the black one.. and wife has the white one. We really love the sound on these - but definitely needs to be 'tweaked' and amped to get it right for different kinds of music and movies. The one complaint though is comfort. We both experience tightness and pressure in the area in from of the ears/jaw. Anyone have suggestions on how to get these 'broken' in faster?  (not our faces.. the headphones :)

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #1,461 of 9,603
Quote:
I'm just about really to order the AKG Q701 Black, but I want to buy from an authorised reseller to make sure I'm covered for warranty and the AKG site is acting funny.
So does anyone know which major internet sellers are authorised resellers, like Amazon? or J&R?

There are some Authorized sellers on Amazon, you just have to look through merchant list and see which ones are.

There is always Headroom too.

Quote:
The one complaint though is comfort. We both experience tightness and pressure in the area in from of the ears/jaw. Anyone have suggestions on how to get these 'broken' in faster?  (not our faces.. the headphones :)

That will get better over time, but you can always stretch them over a box in the meantime. 

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #1,464 of 9,603
Quote:
There are some Authorized sellers on Amazon, you just have to look through merchant list and see which ones are.

There is always Headroom too.

It might not matter, think I'm going to go for the Beyer DT880 instead.

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #1,468 of 9,603
Quote:
Although I haven't gotten a chance to try a lot of the high end gear mentioned on here, the Q701/Schiit Lyr is definitely my favorite combo at the moment.

That's quite amusing after I read about how someone posted a video of a K701's drivers being expanded by the excessively high voltage that the Lyr inputs. I heard the newer Lyr models fixed this but iono. This was in the same topic in which Nwavguy got banned. 

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #1,469 of 9,603
That's quite amusing after I read about how someone posted a video of a K701's drivers being expanded by the excessively high voltage that the Lyr inputs. I heard the newer Lyr models fixed this but iono. This was in the same topic in which Nwavguy got banned. 

I thought it was the Asgard that did that? (and yeah, it was fixed)

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #1,470 of 9,603
Quote:
I thought it was the Asgard that did that? (and yeah, it was fixed)

The video was Asgard, but it applied to all of them (and any other "negative feedback" design amp that doesn't utilize a relay safety, which is a good percentage of the pricy stuff it seems, if you plug your phones in before powering it up.)  That video was of improper usage, not a design issue, but it caused an uproar that lead to the relays being added so they can say "see we fixed it" rather than saying "RTFM."
wink.gif
  I believe they also offered to retrofit the old relay-less ones as a warranty item.

The irony is the individual you referred to, Turtle, designed his amplifier without the relay, even after that big stink.  Granted, his isn't a "negative feedback" design so it's not as big an issue.  But it's just kind of funny that the big stink was about the lack of a relay, then he goes and builds an amp without that relay either and lists "maybe I'll do it in the desktop version later." Can't please everyone...
rolleyes.gif
  I also have his O2 amp, and as a result of the lack of relay I use it exactly as I use my Lyr: Turn on, THEN plug in.  (With the relay it's actually not needed on the Lyr, but is more or less a needed safeguard on the relay-less O2.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back