Q701 impressions thread
Mar 20, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #767 of 9,602
Finally my AKG Q701 arrived yesterday. Today I picked it up from a local post office.

Burned it in for 4 hours at the moment. They sound more distant from my Superlux HD668B and have less bass, but the details it reveals make up for it
redface.gif
. Didn't feel any harsh treble like what people here experience with the K701/2 (or maybe my ears aren't sensitive enough).  Time to start saving again to purchase a better amp.

Should I use low or high gain with my Fiio E10?

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #768 of 9,602
I bought an O2 and a pair of Q701. The Q701s are on sale for somewhere around 230 or so with the code "march2012" at electronics-expo. Can't wait for them to arrive! I have the same question as the guy above, what gain setting should I use on my O2? And should I just turn the Windows 7 digital volume mixer thing all the way up and just use the O2 for volume?

I'm glad I got black though, those things look really nice!

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #769 of 9,602
High gain, set it to 1/2 volume, use windows volume controls to set listening levels.

Just, IMO, but it seems to work well for me with my amps.

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #770 of 9,602

Quote:
High gain, set it to 1/2 volume, use windows volume controls to set listening levels.
Just, IMO, but it seems to work well for me with my amps.

Thanks. I set my E10 to high gain.

I use maximum volume on windows volume control and set the volume from the volume knob in my E10 though.

Still trying to get used to the Q701 as it's more distant sounding than my previous headphone...

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #771 of 9,602
Quote:
I bought an O2 and a pair of Q701. The Q701s are on sale for somewhere around 230 or so with the code "march2012" at electronics-expo. Can't wait for them to arrive! I have the same question as the guy above, what gain setting should I use on my O2? And should I just turn the Windows 7 digital volume mixer thing all the way up and just use the O2 for volume?

What are you using as the source/DAC ? The high gain is generally only needed if the input voltage is too low. Using it unnecessarily may even cause clipping at any setting of the O2 volume control.

Mar 20, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #772 of 9,602

Quote:

Should I use low or high gain with my Fiio E10?

I use low gain with E10.  If you are using low gain and have the E10 volume set > 6.5 then maybe switch to high gain. 

Mar 20, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #773 of 9,602

Quote:
I use low gain with E10.  If you are using low gain and have the E10 volume set > 6.5 then maybe switch to high gain. 

Hmm... When I'm using low gain, 1.5 to 3 is enough for me (depending on songs, some are louder, some are quieter). I guess I don't need high gain then?

I almost shat myself when I found out that my cable are crushed by the chair legs I'm sitting on. Almost flattened my cable! Good thing it is back to its normal shape now -__- It's unfunny if I have flat cables in just a day of owning this cans...

Mar 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #775 of 9,602

Quote:
Wow, just checked Amazon again out of curiosity. Almost $100 difference between the black and green models. The green is all the way up to $350, and they were about $260-270 last week.

I was looking at those a while back and they were at $270. Checked the next day and they jumped to $350. I prefer the all-black version, anyway. Might pick one up quite soon.

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #776 of 9,602

Quote:
What are you using as the source/DAC ? The high gain is generally only needed if the input voltage is too low. Using it unnecessarily may even cause clipping at any setting of the O2 volume control.

It's a soundcard, HT Omega Claro II, so I guess I'll be fine on normal gain. Thanks.

Quote:
I was looking at those a while back and they were at $270. Checked the next day and they jumped to $350. I prefer the all-black version, anyway. Might pick one up quite soon.

Omar, if you are interested in these check out Electronics Expo. I got the black ones for $268 tax+shipping. Use the coupon code march2012. They are out of stock of black right now but have the white on sale for $250. Coupon code doesn't work though. They are also a reseller on Amazon, and they keep lowering the prices on there to around $236 before tax and shipping on these.

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #780 of 9,602
Has anyone actually tried a portable amp for these that drives them very well? Don't even think it's possible.
I'm not looking for a computer DAC, but something that I can use without a PC. Under $120 or so.

Has anyone tried them with the E11? Hated the E11 with the M50 and DJ100, but it might be a nice match for the Q701.
It seems that when I use them with my Airhead, the sound is perfectly fine, but the soundstage is a bit small.

For cheap cables for the Q701, I also like these:
http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BMI&Product_Code=MIC32-XX&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1

Starts at $25 and they ship within 3 days.Their generic wire is actually really good!

If you get one from Zombie_X, you should ask if he can use Canare. That should be a nice match for the Q701. It's good and cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back