Q701 impressions thread
Mar 21, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #781 of 9,602
25 hours of burn in with music and pink noise, bass starts to come out and electric guitar sounds more alive. I wonder if break in is real or it's just my ears getting used to the sound. I'm liking it :)

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #782 of 9,602
25 hours of burn in with music and pink noise, bass starts to come out and electric guitar sounds more alive. I wonder if break in is real or it's just my ears getting used to the sound. I'm liking it :)

Both. :wink:

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #783 of 9,602

Quote:

I have broken in 2 Q701's.  The brand new black one improved with break-in.  The open box green one did not.  I doubt that color had much to do it.  However, the amount of use, if any, the open box version had before I got it is unknown.

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #784 of 9,602

Quote:
I have broken in 2 Q701's.  The brand new black one improved with break-in.  The open box green one did not.  I doubt that color had much to do it.  However, the amount of use, if any, the open box version had before I got it is unknown.

Is one warmer than the other, perhaps with a lot more bass? Could be there are two flavors of the Q701 floating around. No way to verify this.
Glad I don't have the one that's a clone of the K702. My ears wouldn't tolerate that. Not that I didn't like it..

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #785 of 9,602

Quote:

Most likely ear pads forming to your head, making a better seal and bringing drivers closer. Burn in won't affect them. I had mine burning in for 100 hours at very loud levels playing bass heavy music, didn't notice absolutely any difference.

Mar 21, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #786 of 9,602
I did some fun experiments last night when I was bored and just wanted to relax. Got out my entire headphone collect and tried a variety of portable amps, sources and cables.
My HD-600 sounded the worst from my portable amps somehow. Seems kind of too dark and congested from portable amps. The Airhead has more than enough power to drive it, but still not good enough.

One thing I noticed is that 3 of my neutral headphones sounded almost identical with SOME music. Very strange huh? This was with my Airhead using a LOD cable from an Ipod Classic 3G (Wolfson DAC) using ALAC.
It seems that when I don't use a computer DAC or my regular desktop amp it's as if the detail goes out the window with any amp. Soundstage usually is severely reduced too.

I think with some songs all 3 were just very, very accurate. Obviously the HD-600 was slightly warmer and more muffled from a portable amp.

Tried the K601 and it was the only headphone in the group that gave me the blink of death from my Airhead. That thing is very powerful and if I cranked the volume too high it would flash the over-voltage light. It required specific music with a large soundstage.
On the Q701 I almost never got the blinking red light. I don't think i've EVER gotten it with the Q701 from my Airhead. Good sign I guess.

So if you want a decent Portable amp for the Q701, the Airhead does it. Even with a LOD cable. I believe it has a 10 ohm output, but doesn't effect the Q701 in any way.

For my own amusement I tried the Q701 with a LOD cable to the Fiio E5. It actually sounded quite good! Of course I was only listening to ambient music. I like Helios and Boards of Canada on the Q701.

I was comparing female vocals on each headphone from portable amps and the only one that impressed me was the KRK KNS-8400 and the HD-598. Basically the 8400 was so impressive with the E5 and LOD Ipod that I didn't want to take it off.
I did confirm that straight out of my ipod it seems to be a little more harsh. It was the only one that is absolutely 100% NOT forgiving for bad music. If something drives your ears bonkers it's not the headphone..

All this wasn't a fair fight though. I remember one guy telling me on Amazon that he used the E5 with a K702 for years and I kind of laughed to myself about that. After having tried it, it's actually not that bad. Don't ask me how...better than ampless at least.

I'm still impressed with how well the 598 does with portable devices. Gets super loud and sounds good from almost anything. IMO with portable amps and sources the HD-600 can't really compete with the 598, but that should be obvious.

What I think I might do is get the E11 and see if it does OK with the Q701. I think it's a darker amp, so I hope that's not a problem.

I kept thinking to myself which headphone I'd take between the 8400 and Q701 if I had to pick one. It's too hard. 8400 is slightly clearer than the Q701, but not as musical. Q701 is actually warmer and fuller sounding(!). The soundstage on my 8400 for being closed is very impressive. Not talking about size. It's very accurate. 8400 feels like a closed Q701 at times.

BTW my Koss A/250 is extremely fatiguing from portable devices. Can't believe how much treble that thing has! Sounds amazing with my Micro Amp and HRT though. I think it may even be clearer and more detailed than both the Q701 and KNS-8400. That's a headphone that requires a lot of work to perfect it's sound.

Mar 21, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #787 of 9,602

Quote:
Most likely ear pads forming to your head, making a better seal and bringing drivers closer. Burn in won't affect them. I had mine burning in for 100 hours at very loud levels playing bass heavy music, didn't notice absolutely any difference.

Again, just because YOU can't hear a difference doesn't mean there wasn't.

You believe in pad burn-in but not driver burn in? Do you have any measurements? I think pad burn in really doesn't exist!
biggrin.gif

I also never heard any difference in my Q701 after 100-200 hours. It'd be more noticeable if I listened to them at 0 hours and not the 2nd time until 300 hours. You'd have to test multiple pairs too.

At around 200 hours I felt they had started to sound better, but no way of proving anything.

My opinion is that if any headphones sound good out of the box, don't force yourself to burn them in...

I do believe in burn in, but only for specific headphones such as the DJ100 etc. Probably 1% of my headphones.

Mar 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #788 of 9,602

Quote:
Is one warmer than the other, perhaps with a lot more bass? Could be there are two flavors of the Q701 floating around. No way to verify this.
Glad I don't have the one that's a clone of the K702. My ears wouldn't tolerate that. Not that I didn't like it..

They were both bought this year and very close in time.  I have the black one on the short provided cable and the green one on the longer one.  The green one seems to have a tad more bass.  I'll have to do some A-B tests when I have a chance.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #789 of 9,602
Has anyone actually tried a portable amp for these that drives them very well? Don't even think it's possible.
I'm not looking for a computer DAC, but something that I can use without a PC. Under $120 or so.

Has anyone tried them with the E11? Hated the E11 with the M50 and DJ100, but it might be a nice match for the Q701.
It seems that when I use them with my Airhead, the sound is perfectly fine, but the soundstage is a bit small.

For cheap cables for the Q701, I also like these:
http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BMI&Product_Code=MIC32-XX&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1

Starts at $25 and they ship within 3 days.Their generic wire is actually really good!

If you get one from Zombie_X, you should ask if he can use Canare. That should be a nice match for the Q701. It's good and cheap.

I occasionally use my iBasso D12 to power my Q701.
This combo works just fine.
Just don't expect ear drum splitting volume!

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #790 of 9,602
My review of the AKG Q701 complete with a minute scoring sheet. Feel free to discuss, agree, and disagree on my findings.

AKG’s Q701 series of open back, dynamic headphones have been around for quite some time, and while they certainly haven’t been around a for as long as the likes of the original K701 and K702, they are becoming quite old. With that being said however, people have been arguing for well over a year about wether or not the Q701 has a different sound signature than its younger brothers. So, without any further ado, let’s investigate a little further, because I have a lot to discuss when it comes to these competent little cans.

While the AKG Q701 isn’t exactly the most favorable headphone in the world as of the moment, it was one of the most popular headphones several years ago, and one of the three flagships among the Sennhesier HD650 and the Beyerdynamic DT880. Now, Sennhesier with the HD800, Beyerdynamic with the T1, and AKG with the K1000 (old however) have all produced higher end, better sounding flagships, leaving previous models in the dust. With that being said, do these old flagships really sound all that bad? The simple answer to that is no, and the Q701 can actually produce a lot of aural heaven if amped properly.

The Design
Ah, the old AKG styling, so retro, yet so futuristic. Some call it weird, yet I love the design. While most headphones have a rather basic deign with a single cable, ear cups, and a basic headband, they Q701 looks a bit different. Up top we have a headband that looks very different from any other headphone. It’s made of leather, and features indents which, while quite annoying and bothersome to some, are actually decent when it comes to comfort. You may have noticed two bars running along the top, and those are for connecting one ear cup to the other, mainly due to the fact that only one ear cup has a mini XLR opening. The ear cups themselves are made out of plastic (as is the whole body) and are absolutely massive, but very futuristic looking, almost similar to something you’d see out of a Star Trek episode.

Comfort & Isolation
Since these are open back headphones, they aren’t going to give you any seal whatsoever, which actually helps the Q701’s when it comes to soundstage, but we’ll discuss that later on in the review. As for comfort, these may be some of the most comfortable headphones that I have ever worn. Only triumphed by the heaven-like ear cups of the HD800, the Q701’s ear pads are extremely soft, and feel like you have pillows on your ears, with very little clamping force, which can be both a good and a bad attribute. On one hand, the very small clamping force makes you sometimes experience the Q701’s as if they aren’t even on your head, while on the other hand, they can roll around on your head and sometimes fall off, all depending on the size of your head.

Sonic Impressions
The Q701’s sound signature has confused me since the day I got it. It has so many things going for it, but it’s confusing to see where the Q701 is focused. The upper, middle, or bottom portion of the sound spectrum? I cannot seem to find, even throughout the countless months I have auditioned this fabulous piece of headwear, what the Q701 is trying to do with its drivers. Nevertheless, we mustn’t fret, as the Q701 delivers a whole lot to the table, especially at such a cheap and popular price point. The Q701 literally needs over 3 days of straight burn in to sound good, and some people even mention several hundred hours, which I tend to think is quite ridiculous. Prior to burn in, the Q701’s will sound metallic, cold, and lifeless. However, pump some music through these bad boys for a few days, and you’ll notice a worlds difference when sonics are concerned. 

Starting off down low, the Q701’s aren’t exactly the most bass heavy headphone in the world. The bass is definitely there, and while it surges when amped properly, it lacks deep extension, punch, and coherency. It’s definitely more influential and colorful than the K701 or K702, but it’s not as powerful or massive as something like the Sennhesier HD650, which trumps in the bass slam department once amped properly. Moving up the spectrum a bit, we come to the midrange, which sounds slightly metallic and sterile to me. Acoustical awareness on the Q701 is lacking, as it tends to be a bit laid back, with very little pronunciation, and a tad bit sterile. With that being said however, you can lush up the midrange with a good tube amp like the WA6 or the WA3, which tends to synergies amazingly well with the Q701.

As we climb up into the higher octaves, I started to notice that the Q701’s really need a good amp to get them to shine, otherwise it’s harsh and extremely fatiguing up top. With a good speedy (but warm) amplifier I tend to find the Q701’s top end to be very well extended, with plenty of sparkle, a lot of bloom, and maybe a bit bright to one’s ears. I’ve noticed that the high frequency noises and cymbals tend to come forward quite a bit, which can be mistaken for being sibilant, when in reality it all depends on the recording. The Q701’s seem to be very revealing, and if you have a bad, mushy, or sibilant recording, it’s going to be garbage in garbage out for the Q701’s.

Lastly, I have to stress how unique the soundstage is on the Q701’s. While it isn’t exactly the most lifelike soundstage in the world, it sure is massive. Width is exceptionally well handed and sometimes feels like you’re listening to a pair of speakers. Now, while the Q701’s soundstage is definitely big, it lacks when it comes to the minute details. I don’t feel as if though the imaging is very realistic at all, and the layering is almost none. Even though it’s very wide, all the instruments tend to lay on this straight line, instead of being curved outwards and downwards. Also, the Q702’s soundstage lacks a lot when it comes to depth. It’s wide, but everything feels so in front if you, and adds to the slightly less than adequate layering experience.

Vs. K701 & K702
I’d like to take a minute discuss the minute differences between the Q701 and the previous versions of the KXXX series. While I think both the K701 and the K702 sound identical to each other (as I’ve heard both extensively), I don’t necessarily think the same for the Q701. Unlike the K701 & K702, the Q701’s bass is a lot bigger and has more surge and power than the rather bass light younger brothers. Sure, it’s not a massive difference, but sonically noticeable. Also, I find the soundstage on the Q701’s to be slightly less wide and more realistic (still not very realistic, however) than the previous versions. Lastly, the Q701’s appear to have an overall warmer tonality than the younger brothers, which tend to come off as bright and sterile, even after a long burn in session. This is just in a nutshell, as I’d rather not get into the fine details, as the review would be much longer than this.

Final Thoughts
The Q701 continues to stand as one of the most confusing and unexplored headphone to date. While the Q701 will turn off most audio enthusiasts with it’s weird and slightly obnoxious (yes, I’m describing the Q701’s signature as if it’s annoying) sonics performance, it has a lot going under those futuristic drivers. When it comes to resolution, detail, and soundstage width, the Q701 simply can’t be beat, although, I’d take a look at some other mid tiers before the Q701, specifically the HD650 or the DT880/990.

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #791 of 9,602

I noticed too that the soundstage of the Q701 seems to be a little less wide, which is a huge plus for me. I think you're the only one to point this out since nobody else has felt it's different.
Q701 to my ears just feels much warmer and fuller sounding than my old K702. Closer to the K601. There was this weird peak somewhere that drove my ears crazy on the k702, but it's not there on the Q701. Could be I'm just sensitive to this particular frequency and it won't bother anyone else.

It'd also be nice to figure out if two versions of the Q701 exist. Maybe a few that are identical to the K702/K701. I bet the only way to know for sure is to buy 20 pairs and test all them out
normal_smile%20.gif

My pair never sounded "metallic, cold, and lifeless" out of the box. I guess I was lucky. The differences between the K702 and Q701 were noticed immediately.

I've had the Q701 since later October and since then I haven't had a single complaint.

Fixed every single problem I had with the K702. I would say they're fun and musical to me, but not VERY much. Sometimes I do prefer the HD-598. It's a little warmer, but with less treble.
The only thing I have that's clearer sounding than the Q701 is the KRK KNS-8400 and Koss A/250. I'll admit i'm addicted to headphones with amazing clarity+detail.

BTW is the the ALO SXC cable? I liked that cable for the first week, but then I found out it removes some of the warmth of the stock cable and makes the soundstage even larger, which annoys me. Sound is a little more clear with it though. I would say the difference in clarity is like removing an ultra thin piece of cloth (like Kleenex) from the Q701 driver.

Somehow the treble was smoother with the SXC cable, which is very strange. It all comes down to preferences. Those in a studio would no doubt prefer the SXC (silver plated copper).

Even my pre-made $25 copper cable for the Q701 sounds less warm than stock. Wonder why? The stock cable almost sounds like Canare wire.

Quote:

Vs. K701 & K702
I’d like to take a minute discuss the minute differences between the Q701 and the previous versions of the KXXX series. While I think both the K701 and the K702 sound identical to each other (as I’ve heard both extensively), I don’t necessarily think the same for the Q701. Unlike the K701 & K702, the Q701’s bass is a lot bigger and has more surge and power than the rather bass light younger brothers. Sure, it’s not a massive difference, but sonically noticeable. Also, I find the soundstage on the Q701’s to be slightly less wide and more realistic (still not very realistic, however) than the previous versions. Lastly, the Q701’s appear to have an overall warmer tonality than the younger brothers, which tend to come off as bright and sterile, even after a long burn in session. This is just in a nutshell, as I’d rather not get into the fine details, as the review would be much longer than this.

Final Thoughts
The Q701 continues to stand as one of the most confusing and unexplored headphone to date. While the Q701 will turn off most audio enthusiasts with it’s weird and slightly obnoxious (yes, I’m describing the Q701’s signature as if it’s annoying) sonics performance, it has a lot going under those futuristic drivers. When it comes to resolution, detail, and soundstage width, the Q701 simply can’t be beat, although, I’d take a look at some other mid tiers before the Q701, specifically the HD650 or the DT880/990.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #792 of 9,602

Quote:
I noticed too that the soundstage of the Q701 seems to be a little less wide, which is a huge plus for me. I think you're the only one to point this out since nobody else has felt it's different.
Q701 to my ears just feels much warmer and fuller sounding than my old K702. Closer to the K601. There was this weird peak somewhere that drove my ears crazy on the k702, but it's not there on the Q701. Could be I'm just sensitive to this particular frequency and it won't bother anyone else.

It'd also be nice to figure out if two versions of the Q701 exist. Maybe a few that are identical to the K702/K701. I bet the only way to know for sure is to buy 20 pairs and test all them out
normal_smile%20.gif

My pair never sounded "metallic, cold, and lifeless" out of the box. I guess I was lucky. The differences between the K702 and Q701 were noticed immediately.

I've had the Q701 since later October and since then I haven't had a single complaint.

Fixed every single problem I had with the K702. I would say they're fun and musical to me, but not VERY much. Sometimes I do prefer the HD-598. It's a little warmer, but with less treble.
The only thing I have that's clearer sounding than the Q701 is the KRK KNS-8400 and Koss A/250. I'll admit i'm addicted to headphones with amazing clarity+detail.

BTW is the the ALO SXC cable? I liked that cable for the first week, but then I found out it removes some of the warmth of the stock cable and makes the soundstage even larger, which annoys me. Sound is a little more clear with it though. I would say the difference in clarity is like removing an ultra thin piece of cloth (like Kleenex) from the Q701 driver.

Somehow the treble was smoother with the SXC cable, which is very strange. It all comes down to preferences. Those in a studio would no doubt prefer the SXC (silver plated copper).

Even my pre-made $25 copper cable for the Q701 sounds less warm than stock. Wonder why? The stock cable almost sounds like Canare wire.

I reviewed it with both the ALO SXC cable and the stock cable, and yes, I agree with you completely on those statements on the cable. Cool that you seem to agree with me on a lot of statements, but I have a feeling these will be leaving sometime and might be replaced by a Sennhesier HD700.

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #793 of 9,602
Hey guys,

I have a simple question.
I've owned the Q701 for the past few days and burned them in.
I find myself hearing the Q701 too bright for my ears.
I do not have proper amping, I am using a digital hdmi output from my computer to the VSX-821k receiver headphone out.
The receiver can easily amp the Q701 to kill my ears but is very likely not driving them properly to the full extent.

I was planning to buy the HRT Music Streamer -> Matrix M stage or the DacMagic -> O2
I've read the threads, it seems like these will certainly drive them properly.

I know it will reduce the brightness but will it reduce the brightness by a lot? (Besides doing the mod or EQ)
If not, I may end up returning these (still have a few days left before the limit) for something warmer.

(Nonetheless, I do love the amazing detail from these.)

Thanks!

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #794 of 9,602

Quote:
Hey guys,

I have a simple question.
I've owned the Q701 for the past few days and burned them in.
I find myself hearing the Q701 too bright for my ears.
I do not have proper amping, I am using a digital hdmi output from my computer to the VSX-821k receiver headphone out.
The receiver can easily amp the Q701 to kill my ears but is very likely not driving them properly to the full extent.

I was planning to buy the HRT Music Streamer -> Matrix M stage or the DacMagic -> O2
I've read the threads, it seems like these will certainly drive them properly.

I know it will reduce the brightness but will it reduce the brightness by a lot? (Besides doing the mod or EQ)
If not, I may end up returning these (still have a few days left before the limit) for something warmer.

(Nonetheless, I do love the amazing detail from these.)

Thanks!

Not too sure what you mean by the receiver is not driving them to the full extent? 
confused_face_2.gif

You say you can get an insane amount of volume out of the receiver so whats missing for you?
Most receiver HP jacks have more than enough power to drive almost any HP including the Q701, but they normally have an insanely high output impedance.

The Matrix M sounds a bit dark, but whatever amp you use, they will still sound like Q701s.  A good amp will only refine that sound a bit.

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #795 of 9,602
Quote:
Not too sure what you mean by the receiver is not driving them to the full extent? 
confused_face_2.gif

You say you can get an insane amount of volume out of the receiver so whats missing for you?
Most receiver HP jacks have more than enough power to drive almost any HP including the Q701, but they normally have an insanely high output impedance.

The Matrix M sounds a bit dark, but whatever amp you use, they will still sound like Q701s.  A good amp will only refine that sound a bit.

:OOO
I see, I thought just like how some people say "xx headphone and xy (portable) amp, can sound decent but you'd be missing some aa and bb would be more harsh, and ab would be less tight" etc
Right now, I'm hearing a LOT of sibilance and bright treble. Sibilance from any time I hear "s" and bright treble on high notes on violin solos.
I was hoping to hear much reduction from a proper amp but it seems like this may not be the case?
I'll keep them until Friday and make a decision for final listening tests and more feedback from everyone. Such a beauty too =/
Thanks Chris J for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back