Q701 impressions thread
Oct 16, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #7,921 of 9,602
How frustrating! For what its worth, i think your next pair will be just fine. It seems like you just got a rare dud. White? Common, the black is so serious and slick.

I'll give AKG the benefit of the doubt and agree it's probably just one bad pair.  I like Harman products like AKG and Infinity Speakers in my room.
I know but so Kawaii~
It'll match better haha.
I was thinking about getting the white anyway but this is like a sign from Satan that I need to get the white.
And this is my offline picture on twitch.tv  I know she has the K701s but whatevers, same drivers.

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #7,922 of 9,602
  Wow after only a few days the right driver stopped working at least I can return it now at no charge and just replace it.  I think I'll go with the White instead.  Tried both cables different devices.  It was working great earlier then just mid song it cut out how weird is that.

And since it's within return period I'm not even going to bother with trying to fix them myself.

Bummer about the failure, but yeah, take advantage of the opportunity to get the proper color 
wink.gif
   j/k. Sometimes I wished I'd bought the black version.

Oct 16, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #7,923 of 9,602
Yeah bittersweet moment. Im ordering a new pair before I even return the old ones. I'll ship it in their box to make things simpler. Hopefully they don't ship it with Ontrac. Last delivery went through them and they opened up the box of something I ordered (PC case and the Q701s) I guess they saw it wasn't a full PC so they decided wasn't worth the risk. Thats pure speculatuon maybe they had a good reason to open the box.

Oct 16, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #7,924 of 9,602
I have white Q701s although I didn't really have much say in the matter as I bought them off someone else. Since my CALs and DT770s are black, the white is a nice change. Black just makes them look like any other cans in my opinion. 

Oct 16, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #7,925 of 9,602
I have white Q701s although I didn't really have much say in the matter as I bought them off someone else. Since my CALs and DT770s are black, the white is a nice change. Black just makes them look like any other cans in my opinion. 

White one does look the most classy especially with blue cable but the white is glossy whereas the black is not so the white feels a bit cheaper and can creak when the hinges make contact on the joint on the earcups.

Oct 18, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #7,927 of 9,602

I considered white Q701s, but they were out of them, so I ordered black instead. They may look similar to other cans, but they still look classy. Guess I could have ordered green.. would have been just the ticket, when I listen to Jimmy Buffet or Caribbean music...

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #7,928 of 9,602
I have the black side by side with the white and the white definitely looks nicer.  Now to send the broken black version amazon for my refund.  Green is just way too off for me to like, too much of a gamer headset color.

Does AKG sell K702 original cables that are more neutral in color.  I would prefer a black, grey, blue or white cable.

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #7,929 of 9,602
Interesting comparison. So did it fix the issue for you? I think the white looks nice, but it seems the black has a less glossy, and more matte-like finish, which I quite like. I could be wrong about that though, as you are in a better position to compare. I know that you can buy cables from private sellers from AKG. I really do not like that green cable either. I just bought a pair of cables from this guy for my HD-650s, which came as a recommendation from Madwolfa. Pretty good deal and they look pretty decently constructed. 

The HD-650 cable was like twice more expensive, so this looks like a nice deal for the AKGs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-AKG-Headphone-Cable-Q701-K702-Mini-XLR-Canare-3-5mm-Or-1-4-iPod-iPhone-/171289465652?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item27e1a5d334

Oct 22, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #7,930 of 9,602
  Interesting comparison. So did it fix the issue for you? I think the white looks nice, but it seems the black has a less glossy, and more matte-like finish, which I quite like. I could be wrong about that though, as you are in a better position to compare. I know that you can buy cables from private sellers from AKG. I really do not like that green cable either. I just bought a pair of cables from this guy for my HD-650s, which came as a recommendation from Madwolfa. Pretty good deal and they look pretty decently constructed. 

The HD-650 cable was like twice more expensive, so this looks like a nice deal for the AKGs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-AKG-Headphone-Cable-Q701-K702-Mini-XLR-Canare-3-5mm-Or-1-4-iPod-iPhone-/171289465652?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item27e1a5d334

Actually I just saw some page for a K240 replacement cable for like $30 that looks pretty official and think I may get that when a paycheck arrives.  Or maybe I'll spend a bit of time at guitar center grabbing a mini xlr and combining it with my coiled beyerdynamic cable that I removed from my DT990s.

Oct 22, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #7,931 of 9,602
The AKG cables are swapped left and right from what's normal, so a standard mini-XLR won't work IIRC.

Oct 22, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #7,932 of 9,602
If they are swapped left and right then Id just rewire it, not care, switch the rcas on my amps and my mixer or wear my headphones backward. Id be hardpressed to think AKG would go against using a standard cable and not sell replacements.

Oct 25, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #7,933 of 9,602
Hey, I'm getting the Q701's, and I'd like to know if there are any better options for amps/DACs
I'm planning on buying the Schiit Vali/ Modi combo that's been suggested countless times again.
Please, and thank you!

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #7,934 of 9,602
That should be good. I used them with a Modi and my O2, which actually sounded superior to the Lyr.

Many people on this forum have praised the Q's synergy with the Matrix M-stage amp/dac combo as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back