Q701 impressions thread
Oct 25, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #7,936 of 9,603
Yeah. And they are a really great value at their current selling price. Now the question is which color will you get?

Oct 26, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #7,938 of 9,603
Having owned the Q701s for a while, I now know what I really like about these headphones: They are currently paired with the Audio GD NFB-15, which seems to be a great pairing because the clarity and high end that I hear is exceptional. Also, the Audio GD NFB seems to deal with the shrillness in the high end that some say they experience when listening the the Q701s; despite this, I have never experienced it myself.

However, I have come to the realisation that I am not happy with the Q701's lack of low end bass presence. I listen primarily to Classical music, and the low end is very necessary to give this music a sense of depth and fullness.

What made me realise the lack of low end in the Q701 was when switching from listening out loud, via my loud speakers – which I have been doing a lot recently – back to listening through the Q701s.

Compared to listening to the music on the loud speakers, the low end on the Q701s seem almost as if it is missing. Is it unfair for me to make a comparison between the low end that my Q701s produce, to that which is produced by my loud speakers?

Unfortunately, I don't have another pair of open-back headphones to compare my Q701s to, in order to see if the lack of low that I am hearing is a Q701 thing or simply an open-back headphone vs loud speaker thing.

K712s vs [Q701 + iFI iCAN]
If the problem is the Q701s then I am considering the K712s, since they are said to be similar but with an increase in the low end by 3db. However, there is another solution to deal with the lack of low end on the Q701s that I am interested in, which is to pair them with the iFI iCAN headphone amp. This option offers a 3db and 6db bass boost switch, and I have read in many reviews that this pairing really deals with lack of bass on the Q701s, giving them a really good bass boost without affecting the overall sound.

Both solutions are offering a better low end, therefore could anyone advise regarding the pros and cons of each solution: An upgrade to the K712s vs Pairing the iFI iCANs (with bass boost on) with the Q701s.

I am interested primarily regarding how the low end would compare, but also in the overall sound. Any comments would be welcome.

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #7,939 of 9,603
Perhaps it's the shrillness in the highs that makes you think the low end is lacking?

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #7,941 of 9,603
You need to unleash the bass in the drivers with the bass port mod. It takes 10 minutes, is completely reversible, and makes a very noticeable difference in the low end without sacrificing any of the clarity or air for which the Q701s are routinely praised.

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #7,942 of 9,603
That should be good. I used them with a Modi and my O2, which actually sounded superior to the Lyr.

Many people on this forum have praised the Q's synergy with the Matrix M-stage amp/dac combo as well.

Yeah, the Q sounds very good with the Matrix M Stage amp.
I've never tried the matching DAC.
The force is strong in the Matrix M Stage headphone amp.

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #7,943 of 9,603
Oct 26, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #7,944 of 9,603
Originally Posted by Boogirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

K712s vs [Q701 + iFI iCAN]
If the problem is the Q701s then I am considering the K712s, since they are said to be similar but with an increase in the low end by 3db. However, there is another solution to deal with the lack of low end on the Q701s that I am interested in, which is to pair them with the iFI iCAN headphone amp. This option offers a 3db and 6db bass boost switch, and I have read in many reviews that this pairing really deals with lack of bass on the Q701s, giving them a really good bass boost without affecting the overall sound.

Both solutions are offering a better low end, therefore could anyone advise regarding the pros and cons of each solution: An upgrade to the K712s vs Pairing the iFI iCANs (with bass boost on) with the Q701s.

I am interested primarily regarding how the low end would compare, but also in the overall sound. Any comments would be welcome.

Another option is to try EQing them, assuming you're listening from a PC.  There's a 30+ band Graphic EQ component for foobar2000.  It's all free, so may as well try it.

And as was mentioned, the bass port mod is worth a try.  It's not difficult, and can be tweaked if fully open proves too bassy.

Shameless plug: see my signature for a pair of K712s.

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #7,945 of 9,603
Here's another vote for the bass port mod. Plenty of bass for movies and gaming too.

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #7,946 of 9,603
Here's another vote for the bass port mod. Plenty of bass for movies and gaming too.

You need to unleash the bass in the drivers with the bass port mod. It takes 10 minutes, is completely reversible, and makes a very noticeable difference in the low end without sacrificing any of the clarity or air for which the Q701s are routinely praised.

I am well aware of this mod, but from what I have read and seen, it is debatable as to whether or not the bass mod effects the overall sound of the Q701s. Because of this, I am not willing to chance doing the mod and run the risk of losing the sound quality. I'm looking for an alternative solution, which is why I'm specifically debating the choice between the K712s and the iFI iCAN.

Another option is to try EQing them, assuming you're listening from a PC.  There's a 30+ band Graphic EQ component for foobar2000.  It's all free, so may as well try it.

Yes, I am listening through my laptop (a Macbook). This is the reason I am interested in pairing my Q701s with the iFI iCAN, due to it's very good 3db boost switch. However, unlike other forms of EQing – which is known to sacrifice overall sound, and in particular with the Q701s – the iFI iCAN 3db bass boost is said to offer a very high quality type bass boost without sacrificing the overall sound of the Q701s. The Q701s are said to pair exceptionally well with the iCAN amp particularly because of the way the low end issue is dealt with, and this is why I am considering this option above EQing add ons or apps.

On the other hand, if the K712s offer the same quality bass as the Q701s+iCAN, then I would certainly prefer to just get the K712s.

Oct 26, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #7,947 of 9,603
If you do go the K712 route, will that make your Q701 obsolete or do you plan on having both for different types of music? The bass port mod is reversible and a much cheaper option than either the iFi or the K712 if the bass increase is what to your liking. I can understand you not wanting to modify your Q701 if you're planning to sell it, but if you're gonna keep it you've got nothing to lose.

Oct 26, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #7,948 of 9,603
Right, the bass mod is simple to do and undo, not a permanent change.

Re: Q701 vs K712
Both were flagship models of their time, the Q701 isn't even that old. Audiophiles bought them as the least expensive flagship model (while being flagship level they also offered their own distinct character and best-of strengths, HD800 was the first headphone to outdo them for sheer soundstage) and then completed their setups with amps and DACs costing as much or more as the headphones. They're both extremely good. If you have both side-by-side, the (first world) problem is the K712 is just a bit smoother, fuller-bodied while being just as clear, possibly slightly more detailed/effortless, and more comfortable in the headband, but you also want the Q701 because with headband wraps and a synergistic system both headphones are on the same technical capability level and the Q701 is significantly less expensive.

I'm stuck in limbo, owning both, hahaha.

Oct 26, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #7,949 of 9,603
Right, the bass mod is simple to do and undo, not a permanent change.

Re: Q701 vs K712
Both were flagship models of their time, the Q701 isn't even that old. Audiophiles bought them as the least expensive flagship model (while being flagship level they also offered their own distinct character and best-of strengths, HD800 was the first headphone to outdo them for sheer soundstage) and then completed their setups with amps and DACs costing as much or more as the headphones. They're both extremely good. If you have both side-by-side, the (first world) problem is the K712 is just a bit smoother, fuller-bodied while being just as clear, possibly slightly more detailed/effortless, and more comfortable in the headband, but you also want the Q701 because with headband wraps and a synergistic system both headphones are on the same technical capability level and the Q701 is significantly less expensive.

I'm stuck in limbo, owning both, hahaha.

Thanks for this. I have just compared the sound on my Q701s when driven by my Cambridge Stereo Integrated Amp to how they sound when driven by my Audio GD, and I am surprised to say that I am now having second thoughts regarding what I wrote about Q701 having a lack of low end. On the Cambridge, I am finding the low end to be very pleasing, not too unlike how – in an earlier post – I described I heard it through my loud speakers. Interestingly enough, my loud speakers are also being driven by the Cambridge, so the dots are joining together for me, so to speak.

Is it possible that all this time I have been unjustly blaming the Q701s for lack of low end, when in actual fact the problem is stemming from the Audio GD NFB-15 and not the Q701s?

Is the low end issue on the Q701s, in actual fact synergistic problem like you say? I think you may quite possibly be right with this... Maybe I should be looking at other headphone amps and not just the iFi iCANs.

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #7,950 of 9,603
  Thanks for this. I have just compared the sound on my Q701s when driven by my Cambridge Stereo Integrated Amp to how they sound when driven by my Audio GD, and I am surprised to say that I am now having second thoughts regarding what I wrote about Q701 having a lack of low end. On the Cambridge, I am finding the low end to be very pleasing, not too unlike how – in an earlier post – I described I heard it through my loud speakers. Interestingly enough, my loud speakers are also being driven by the Cambridge, so the dots are joining together for me, so to speak.

Is it possible that all this time I have been unjustly blaming the Q701s for lack of low end, when in actual fact the problem is stemming from the Audio GD NFB-15 and not the Q701s?

Is the low end issue on the Q701s, in actual fact synergistic problem like you say? I think you may quite possibly be right with this... Maybe I should be looking at other headphone amps and not just the iFi iCANs.

You'll find that some amps might list impedance values vs. wattage outputs that don't necessarily calculate the way you'd expect.  One factor affecting this is a low impedance headphone simply causing the amp to run out of current.  Also, variations in the impedance across frequencies can cause power matching drops to occur, where you might not have enough drive in one area or too much in another.  After running into the various gear I have not driving the low end correctly (except for my FiiO E18, which is perfectly fine) I might get a different audio interface for my DAW/PC that can drive a wider array of monitor headphones.  I'm also thinking of getting a set of closed Beyerdynamics (DT770) at either 80 or 32 Ohms impedance, and want to make sure I can drive them correctly when tracking and mixing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back