Q701 impressions thread
Oct 27, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #7,966 of 9,603
I find that between my Aune T1(Amperex 6DJ8 and 7308 tubes, not the stock EH6922 tube, which is nowhere near as good), FiiO E17, FiiO E9 and Vamp Verza, the Verza makes the Q701 sound best. It's the slight boost in the bass and sub bass along with an overall warm tilt that does it. Sound stage is bigger with Aune + Amperex tubes but music isn't as fun.

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #7,967 of 9,603
Yeah..I just need to get a real amp, I guess. I'm using a Sony home theater receiver from the 90's right now. I like it because it's really warm, but it's most likely hindering the Q701's soundstage and dynamics.

Originally Posted by TsukiNick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. . .have had none of this creaking even with glasses on.  Honestly I'm dumbfounded whether they have fixed the issue or am I just lucky for not getting creaky pairs.

Mine doesn't creak while I'm wearing it, but it sure creaks when I hold it and kind of move the earpieces around. It's not a big deal, really.

Oct 27, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #7,968 of 9,603
I've owned the Q701 for couple of month as well. I just want to give my thoughts on the reversible bass mod.

My experience with the bass mod was really unpleasant. The overall bass and especially the sub bass increased, but it sounded like a fart cannon. The tightness and control of the bass was almost non existent to my ears and the bass felt intrusive to the mids and trebles causing the headphone to sound extremely unnatural. 10/10 would not try again. Just my thoughts and opinion on the bass mod.

On a side note, the build quality is terrible for the price you pay. I hear creaking sound every time I move my jaw. -_-

I by no means wish to contest your own impressions, but my own impressions do not at all concur with yours.

As the early posts appraising these mods have also said (see TDock's in-depth comparison), I find zero bleeding into the other frequencies at all, and I would not say the bass loses texture or control either.

With that said, I do occasionally switch between the mods and back, only if I wish to diminish the bass. It's really nice that the mod is totally reversible.

Importantly, I again wish to state everyone is entitled to their impression, which is why I'm also offering mine and why your own assessments are something I care less to disprove than to which I wish to offer an alternative impression.

Oct 27, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #7,969 of 9,603
I was sort of afraid of doing the bass mod but all it seems to do is extend the sub-bass a bit.  It adds a little punch but it's never going to be a DT990.  That being said, I think it evens out the sound more than stock.  It's still slightly bass anemic compared to the other headphones I own sans ATH-ES700 which is very nicely balanced.  I just wish they'd make an AKG 701 Angled pad mod or something to make the center image better. (I know they are already slightly angled but I mean like more angled)

Oct 27, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #7,970 of 9,603
I was sort of afraid of doing the bass mod but all it seems to do is extend the sub-bass a bit.  It adds a little punch but it's never going to be a DT990.  That being said, I think it evens out the sound more than stock.  It's still slightly bass anemic compared to the other headphones I own sans ATH-ES700 which is very nicely balanced.  I just wish they'd make an AKG 701 Angled pad mod or something to make the center image better.

+1

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #7,971 of 9,603
Originally Posted by TsukiNick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. . .I just wish they'd make an AKG 701 Angled pad mod or something to make the center image better. . .

I say that they should overhaul the earpads entirely. More angle would definitely help, but they should also change the shape of the earpad, making it less donut-shaped behind the ears. Think of the HD800, how the earpad is less circular in the back. It really helps wearers get a better seal.

Oct 27, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #7,972 of 9,603
  I just did the bass mod, bass still feels controlled for me.  Maybe it's the genres you listen to?  If you tested this mod with Trip-Hop or something you might get a feel of muddiness.  I just completed my mod and my bassiest tracks (DVNO - Justice, Brak Talk - Skinny Puppy yeah not a huge bass guy) and didn't have any problems with muddiness.  I would say the drums on Ghosthack from the Ghost In The Shell OST gets a bit of distortion on the bass but I think that was there before the mod.

I've tried many genres and to me some of the more bass emphasized tracks sounds really flabby. Some tracks that I used to test the bass:
https://soundcloud.com/glattly/emancipator-elephant-survival
https://soundcloud.com/locirecords/minor-cause
https://soundcloud.com/artofficial-2/ao-cadence
https://soundcloud.com/sevisregia/re-plus-nighttime

If the people whose done the bass port mod and thought the bass was still as tight and punchy as before, could it be that I have a faulty pair or done the mod wrong?

I run the Q701 off monoprice amp just in case you guys ask.

Oct 27, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #7,973 of 9,603
  I've tried many genres and to me some of the more bass emphasized tracks sounds really flabby. Some tracks that I used to test the bass:
https://soundcloud.com/glattly/emancipator-elephant-survival
https://soundcloud.com/locirecords/minor-cause
https://soundcloud.com/artofficial-2/ao-cadence
https://soundcloud.com/sevisregia/re-plus-nighttime

If the people whose done the bass port mod and thought the bass was still as tight and punchy as before, could it be that I have a faulty pair or done the mod wrong?

I run the Q701 off monoprice amp just in case you guys ask.

You could try placing some porous foam over the port.  Could also try a piece of tape with a pin hole punched where the port is.

Oct 27, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #7,974 of 9,603
EDIT: I think my phone did something wrong and showed post that wasn't in the end of the thread...carry on.

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #7,975 of 9,603
Been a while since I listened to the Q701, but listening to the K812 actually reminds me of the Q701. Prior to the release of the K812, the HD800 is the "go-to" upgrade from the Q701, and it may still is. But to anyone looking to upgrade their headphone, if you wish to upgrade from the Q701 but wish to retain that "holographic vocal presentation", the K812 might be worth considering.

I'll see if I can get my hands on the Q701 to compare it to the HD800 and K812, but so far from memory the K812 is more similar to the Q701, which is only logical, really.

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #7,976 of 9,603
Digging these headphones with old 4AD releases.

What's the easiest way to replace the bass port coverings if I should ever feel the need. With that small space I feel it'd ridiculously difficult to get them back in.

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #7,977 of 9,603
What's the easiest way to replace the bass port coverings if I should ever feel the need. With that small space I feel it'd ridiculously difficult to get them back in.

Yeah...tbh, getting them out is already hard enough and getting them back in and making sure they have proper seal makes me want to buy a k712. That's why I'm putting off on doing the mod for now like ThurstonX suggested.

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #7,978 of 9,603
  Yeah...tbh, getting them out is already hard enough and getting them back in and making sure they have proper seal makes me want to buy a k712. That's why I'm putting off on doing the mod for now like ThurstonX suggested.

Price drop on my K712s 
biggrin.gif

I've managed to get the stickers back on, but it is a PITA.  Tape is much easier, and painter's tape comes off fairly clean, though it still sticks hard.  The only thing I wonder about are the stock round stickies.  The material in the center (most of it, in fact), appears different than the outer, sticky portion.  The center looks like a mesh, albeit very fine.  Makes me think it's semi-permeable.  Tape, of course, would not be, unless you could make a round pattern of very small holes (more trouble than it's worth).

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #7,979 of 9,603

Price drop on my K712s 
biggrin.gif

I've managed to get the stickers back on, but it is a PITA.  Tape is much easier, and painter's tape comes off fairly clean, though it still sticks hard.  The only thing I wonder about are the stock round stickies.  The material in the center (most of it, in fact), appears different than the outer, sticky portion.  The center looks like a mesh, albeit very fine.  Makes me think it's semi-permeable.  Tape, of course, would not be, unless you could make a round pattern of very small holes (more trouble than it's worth).

1. The inside is definitely semi permeable, I have a thick plastic straw the same size as the sticker, put it on one end and blew.  It made a good seal around the edges, but it's definitely a mesh material that's breathable on the inside, so keep your stickies if you want stock round repeatable.

2. I think the outside material is the same as the inside except for adhesive covering it.

3. Someone should ask AKG about it (the material and such or why it's covered like that), and about whether removing it violates warranty etc

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #7,980 of 9,603
  1. The inside is definitely semi permeable, I have a thick plastic straw the same size as the sticker, put it on one end and blew.  It made a good seal around the edges, but it's definitely a mesh material that's breathable on the inside, so keep your stickies if you want stock round repeatable.

2. I think the outside material is the same as the inside except for adhesive covering it.

3. Someone should ask AKG about it (the material and such or why it's covered like that), and about whether removing it violates warranty etc

Thanks for confirming.  It only voids the warranty if you tell them you did it, or they check and spot that you did it 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back