Q701 impressions thread
Oct 15, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #7,906 of 9,603
  I got the black mostly decided to get them for gaming.  I haven't picked up my HD-650s since I got the Q701s....That's what I hate about owning so many headphones, some just don't get all the attention they deserve.  I'll probably use them more when I'm practicing bass guitar.

I thought they'd be a lot better for gaming, don't get me wrong they are good but not a huge jump from the headphones I've tried before.  But I do like the balanced neutral sound signature.  Now I just need to buy a shorter cable, don't know what AKG thought when they included "Super Jumbo" and "...we bought way too much of this green cable.....just just give em a 20ft cable.....why not."

Didn't you also get a shorter cable? I received two cables with mine. Other than the fact that these cables were green, I really appreciated this inclusion.

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #7,907 of 9,603
I got the black mostly decided to get them for gaming.  I haven't picked up my HD-650s since I got the Q701s....That's what I hate about owning so many headphones, some just don't get all the attention they deserve.  I'll probably use them more when I'm practicing bass guitar.

I thought they'd be a lot better for gaming, don't get me wrong they are good but not a huge jump from the headphones I've tried before.  But I do like the balanced neutral sound signature.  Now I just need to buy a shorter cable, don't know what AKG thought when they included "Super Jumbo" and "...we bought way too much of this green cable.....just just give em a 20ft cable.....why not."

I own pair of Q701s in classic black as well as HD650s, and they are different. Although I try to resist my desire to go on a buying spree, with all of the great headphones out there, but my focus will be on acquiring models with enough differences to add variety. If your Q701s are enjoyable for your primary uses, that's great...

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #7,908 of 9,603
Liu Junyuan.. nice to see you back. You commented about stepping away from the thread some time back, because of negative comments about Q701s? I was away for a bit, myself. Anyway, nice to see your posts again :D

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #7,909 of 9,603
Well, seems I'm really a Q701 kinda guy after all.  My short-lived adventure with the K712s has come to an end.  Put them up for sale (good deal, for anyone interested).  In the end I don't need two open AKG cans, as good as the K712s are.  And I'm really curious about the new Fidelio X2s.  I'd love to have a killer pair of dynamics, but they can wait.  Mid-fi cans are a fun diversion from the HE-560s, which are worth a test listen at the very least, for those who haven't heard them.

Seems my Halloween-themed cable will become a black-and-white braid.
beerchug.gif

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #7,912 of 9,603
  Well, seems I'm really a Q701 kinda guy after all.  My short-lived adventure with the K712s has come to an end.  Put them up for sale (good deal, for anyone interested).  In the end I don't need two open AKG cans, as good as the K712s are.  And I'm really curious about the new Fidelio X2s.  I'd love to have a killer pair of dynamics, but they can wait.  Mid-fi cans are a fun diversion from the HE-560s, which are worth a test listen at the very least, for those who haven't heard them.

Seems my Halloween-themed cable will become a black-and-white braid.
beerchug.gif

Wow. I really thought you would have preferred the K712s, given your initial impressions. Thank you for returning with your final conclusion. I suppose it was useful to have a listen yourself, to hear right from the horses mouth as it were. Also interesting is that you omitted comment on the build quality and comfort of the K712, which seems to be their major selling point for many people over the earlier AKGs (I personally have not had problems with the bumps, especially with my new wool headband, but I can commiserate with those who have). 

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #7,913 of 9,603
Yeah 10 feet and 20 feet are far from ideal. They say it's meant to listen to home theater... Impedance I would think would be a little low to be ideal. Surprising they sound fine out of my Mackie mixer which has an impedance around the same as the headphones. Honestly double blind I'm not sure I could hear the difference though. I pick up a bit of white noise with my Onkyo TX-NR626 with these cans, haven't tried my Yamaha receiver yet.

Oct 15, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #7,914 of 9,603
Yeah 10 feet and 20 feet are far from ideal. They say it's meant to listen to home theater... Impedance I would think would be a little low to be ideal. Surprising they sound fine out of my Mackie mixer which has an impedance around the same as the headphones. Honestly double blind I'm not sure I could hear the difference though. I pick up a bit of white noise with my Onkyo TX-NR626 with these cans, haven't tried my Yamaha receiver yet.

In your earlier post you conflated both cables to the 20 foot mark and did not mention the 10 foot cable at all. Although a 10 foot cable is "less than ideal" for a desktop user (I agree with you), I've had success with using a velcro strap or even a twisty tie (you can find them on loaves of bread) to gather together the excess and avoid dangling off the desk. I do not think the length of the cable impacts the sound; only the connections from amp to DAC would seem to impact SQ here (at least according to Schiit). 

Also, that's awesome you have the Black Q701s. They look slick. 

Oct 15, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #7,915 of 9,603
More noise was picked up with the 20 footer, more emissions to be transferred I suppose. I sent that magni in hopefully that Schiit is sorted out.

Just tried them with my Yamaha receiver nice no static or anything. I think something is wrong with my 626 I'll probably try it out on one inside a store.

Haha actually I sort of regret not getting the white. Seems like the white is better now. I probably wouldn't of gotten it had been for me having another white headphone. And watching an anime where they had white K701 only further made me want to change my mind XD Although I bet black looks better on me.

Auto correct on my galaxy is annoying lol it does not want to write headphone names.

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #7,916 of 9,603
  Wow. I really thought you would have preferred the K712s, given your initial impressions. Thank you for returning with your final conclusion. I suppose it was useful to have a listen yourself, to hear right from the horses mouth as it were. Also interesting is that you omitted comment on the build quality and comfort of the K712, which seems to be their major selling point for many people over the earlier AKGs (I personally have not had problems with the bumps, especially with my new wool headband, but I can commiserate with those who have). 

Oh, good point about comfort and build.  Yep, they're great :)  The K712s do seem sturdier than my Q701s, but I can't really recall my first impressions of the Qs.  I wish the memory foam pads were a cm or so deeper, but I'm picky like that.  I was really focused on the sound, as I'm used to the AKG form.  I expected the K712s to be at least as good as the Qs in terms of build, and they are.  I cut those bumps off within the first month.  I'm still using my white bandana with black musical notes on my white Qs.  So again, just didn't cross my mind.  Of course, I wasn't trying to write a comprehensive comparative review, just share a few thoughts.

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #7,917 of 9,603
Oh, good point about comfort and build.  Yep, they're great :)  The K712s do seem sturdier than my Q701s, but I can't really recall my first impressions of the Qs.  I wish the memory foam pads were a cm or so deeper, but I'm picky like that.  I was really focused on the sound, as I'm used to the AKG form.  I expected the K712s to be at least as good as the Qs in terms of build, and they are.  I cut those bumps off within the first month.  I'm still using my white bandana with black musical notes on my white Qs.  So again, just didn't cross my mind.  Of course, I wasn't trying to write a comprehensive comparative review, just share a few thoughts.

I found the K712 sturdier and better made than the Q701 myself, comfort is quite a bit better to me. The bumps bothered me on the Q701 even when adjusted to where it doesn't cause pain, there is a certain hardness on the headband that bothered me. I can understand why people may not like the K712 as much as the Q701. I find while the Q701 is a little less refined to my ears than the K712 it's also more laid-back and relaxed. The K712s aggressive dynamics(which gives it the impression its brighter than the Q701 at times when it actually isn't) will bother some people and honestly seems to be why opinions are mixed on the K712.

Oct 15, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #7,918 of 9,603
  Now I just need to buy a shorter cable, don't know what AKG thought when they included "Super Jumbo" and "...we bought way too much of this green cable.....just just give em a 20ft cable.....why not."

I find the 20ft cable very useful for TV viewing.

Oct 16, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #7,919 of 9,603
Wow after only a few days the right driver stopped working at least I can return it now at no charge and just replace it.  I think I'll go with the White instead.  Tried both cables different devices.  It was working great earlier then just mid song it cut out how weird is that.

And since it's within return period I'm not even going to bother with trying to fix them myself.

Oct 16, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #7,920 of 9,603
How frustrating! For what its worth, i think your next pair will be just fine. It seems like you just got a rare dud. White? Common, the black is so serious and slick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back