Q701 impressions thread
Aug 31, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #7,636 of 9,602
  Pictures and instructions PLEASE! Since i'am having a balanced amp i'am interested in doing what you did.THANK YOU!

I haven't taken any photos while doing it, but have pretty much followed this tutorial. There's also another one often quoted here.
My comments are as follows:

1. It is much easier soldering in the new wires to tle left transducer if you detach the headband. There's one black screw in the middle holding it - you can't miss it. Then the plastic shell can be pulled out. When soldering keep in mind that you need to thread the cables through this shell!

2. I used dremel to remove the 3-pin connector. First drilled through the plastic core and then cut the metal housing on one side. Then it was easy to take it out with pliers.

Aug 31, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #7,637 of 9,602

Pictures and instructions PLEASE! Since i'am having a balanced amp i'am interested in doing what you did.THANK YOU!

I haven't taken any photos while doing it, but have pretty much followed this tutorial. There's also another one often quoted here.
My comments are as follows:

1. It is much easier soldering in the new wires to tle left transducer if you detach the headband. There's one black screw in the middle holding it - you can't miss it. Then the plastic shell can be pulled out. When soldering keep in mind that you need to thread the cables through this shell!

2. I used dremel to remove the 3-pin connector. First drilled through the plastic core and then cut the metal housing on one side. Then it was easy to take it out with pliers.

THANK YOU!

Aug 31, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #7,638 of 9,602
These were posted about on another forum, essentially tea cosy style headband covers.. I know I have modded my headband with faux leather in place of the bumps but these things look rather neat and if anything will protect the headband over the years anyway and can be washed easier if needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Woven-Pure-Wool-Headband-Cushion-For-AKG-K701-K702-Q701-Headphones-/261445245520

For the price I've bought a black one. Rock on :p

Aug 31, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #7,639 of 9,602
Hi all, I'm new here! I've been a lurker for years, but never got around to joining up. I've learned so much from you guys, so thanks for all the informative posts. I've read most of this thread and I finally purchased the AKG Q701 with the Fiio E17. I've got to say that I'm in musical bliss right now! I've owned the K271, DT 880, and Sony V6, but this is by far my best headphone experience.

I did have a question about amping, do you recommend that I have the volume maxed out on Foobar and my sound mixer, and then control the rest with the gain and volume settings on the amp? I'm not sure what's best for the headphones and the drivers, I don't want to cause them any damage. Thanks in advance :)

Aug 31, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #7,640 of 9,602
  Hi all, I'm new here! I've been a lurker for years, but never got around to joining up. I've learned so much from you guys, so thanks for all the informative posts. I've read most of this thread and I finally purchased the AKG Q701 with the Fiio E17. I've got to say that I'm in musical bliss right now! I've owned the K271, DT 880, and Sony V6, but this is by far my best headphone experience.

I did have a question about amping, do you recommend that I have the volume maxed out on Foobar and my sound mixer, and then control the rest with the gain and volume settings on the amp? I'm not sure what's best for the headphones and the drivers, I don't want to cause them any damage. Thanks in advance :)

Volume maxed out foobar (it's software so no biggie here)

To be honest I would play around a little with your settings.
However, I control my windows volume via my media keys on the keyboard for convenience (controls the DAC). I leave my amp at 75%.
The problem with controlling via windows volume is that if I go above 90%, and my amp at 20%, the DAC introduces distortion.

You won't cause any damage, if anything it'll be your ears that'll go first.

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #7,641 of 9,602
Thanks!

I haven't heard any distortion yet, but I do feel like I get greater clarity when the foobar and Windows volume is all the way up, regardless of how I set the amp volume. I thought distortion was bad for the drivers, which is why I was asking, but so far, I haven't heard any, so I think I'm OK.

Sep 1, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #7,642 of 9,602
Are the Q701 for $191 a good buy? I will pair with a FiiO E10 Olympus btw.
HD598 is selling for 181 @amazon, but I think the Q's will give me more room for upgrade (amp/dac), is that right? :3
and sorry for my english too. 

Sep 1, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #7,643 of 9,602
Some oversampling DACs lack DSP headroom and therefore with highly compressed music (a lot of modern music) there is a technical benefit to using less than 100% digital volume somewhere in the chain e.g. at the computer end or, if the DAC has a digital VC, in the DAC.

Sep 1, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #7,644 of 9,602
Hmm - thanks. I'm using the E17 with the volume all the way up on my PC, but the volume only set to somewhere in the 40-50 range on the device itself (max is 60). I'm not sure which is controlling the amp or the DAC. The volume on the PC seems to be controlling the DAC, at least. 

Sep 1, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #7,646 of 9,602
HD598 is selling for 181 @amazon, but I think the Q's will give me more room for upgrade (amp/dac), is that right? :3

Q701 scales up more with powerful amps and smooth, clean DAC's. That's not to say it's better for you, read my review that contains the two:: http://www.head-fi.org/t/726848/headphone-palooza-shoot-out-8-cans-reviewed-here

Sep 1, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #7,647 of 9,602

It's up to personal preference. I like the HD598 more, Q701s don't really fit the sound I like. So take the sound you want into consideration.

Sep 1, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #7,649 of 9,602
  Have you done the bass mod on Q701 yet? I like your review

Thanks so much! I haven't done it yet (I kinda like the slightly lean balance compared to my LCD-2's), but someone else just asked about it on my review page too... so now I feel an obligation, haha. If I find time this week, I'll be sure to update you! I really should, I suppose!

Sep 1, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #7,650 of 9,602
  Thanks so much! I haven't done it yet (I kinda like the slightly lean balance compared to my LCD-2's), but someone else just asked about it on my review page too... so now I feel an obligation, haha. If I find time this week, I'll be sure to update you! I really should, I suppose!

Totally reversible, so why not give it a go and a week or so to make its impression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back