Q701 impressions thread
Aug 25, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #7,606 of 9,602
Aug 25, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #7,608 of 9,602
  Hello, I am gonna try out Q701 soon,

I would like to know which equipment will deliver Q701's sound to fullest

What would I be needed to build a decent set up for Q701?

A dedicated DAC and an amp that can provide maybe at least a half Watt of clean power into the 62 ohm impedance of these cans should get ya real far... a Magni/Modi Schiit stack is usually a great place to start for a first DAC/amp combo at $200. You could probably spend less by getting a cheaper DAC and an amp that synergizes well.

Aug 26, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #7,609 of 9,602
  A dedicated DAC and an amp that can provide maybe at least a half Watt of clean power into the 62 ohm impedance of these cans should get ya real far... a Magni/Modi Schiit stack is usually a great place to start for a first DAC/amp combo at $200. You could probably spend less by getting a cheaper DAC and an amp that synergizes well.

Or see if you can find a used Audio-GD DAC/Amp combo for $200-250.  Add shipping to your Schiit Stack and you'll be paying closer to $225 anyways so they're about equivalent price-wise.  But man, the DAC in the NFB-15 is way better than the Modi IMO.  It's super clean and detailed, which pairs really well with the detail of the Q.

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #7,610 of 9,602
Ya the NFB-15 is probably the best value for the Q's, if you can swing it, do it and you'll never look back!

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #7,611 of 9,602
After a week of listening. I still think my HDVD800 system sounds better than the Q701 on the DAC1+RPX35 on anything I have throw on it.

I think I need to upgrade my amp and dac to match the headphone.
Since it is an low impedance, I think balance is not really a good option since the impedance is too high to drive this can (doubled).

Is there any good single ended amp/dac out there that can drive the AKG to the detail level of HD800?
Maybe more mid? Faster dynamic? and more body and texture in the bass?

P.S.
I want to see the full potential of this phone, so money is not a problem here, I just need to save for years, but at least I will have a goal.

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #7,612 of 9,602
  After a week of listening. I still think my HDVD800 system sounds better than the Q701 on the DAC1+RPX35 on anything I have throw on it.

I think I need to upgrade my amp and dac to match the headphone.
Since it is an low impedance, I think balance is not really a good option since the impedance is too high to drive this can (doubled).

Is there any good single ended amp/dac out there that can drive the AKG to the detail level of HD800?
Maybe more mid? Faster dynamic? and more body and texture in the bass?

P.S.
I want to see the full potential of this phone, so money is not a problem here, I just need to save for years, but at least I will have a goal.

You might be barking up the wrong tree trying to get a $200 headphone to sound like a $1200 headphone.  Have you considered upgrading to the K812?

Also, if you want more from your bass, try the bass mod.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #7,614 of 9,602
Straight from AGD for a new one, no U.S. dealers I know of.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #7,615 of 9,602
Straight from AGD for a new one, no U.S. dealers I know of.

This unfortunately.  You can also keep an eye out for used ones on the classifieds here.  There's not much difference between the NFB-15 models (NFB-15, NFB-15.12, NFB-15.32, NFB-15 (2014)) so you might be able to score a used one on the cheap.  Otherwise you just gotta figure the $30-40 shipping into the price and live with it.  If nothing else, I heard DHL delivers really quickly!

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #7,616 of 9,602

You might be barking up the wrong tree trying to get a $200 headphone to sound like a $1200 headphone.  Have you considered upgrading to the K812?

Also, if you want more from your bass, try the bass mod.

The bass quantity is there. It is actually more than I need. However, I was look for more quality. It seem only one part of the spectrum has been boosted, I just want it to be evenly boosted~ As an old flagship, they should have a potential here.

I have heard the K812 in the Toronto headfi meet. Did not quite like it. It was trying too hard to beat the other flagships. While doing it, it lost its AKG identity. It almost sounds wrong to my ear for most of classical I have tried on it. (BTW, it is not as sexy as the Q701 and K702 IMO)

Aug 27, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #7,617 of 9,602
The bass quantity is there. It is actually more than I need. However, I was look for more quality. It seem only one part of the spectrum has been boosted, I just want it to be evenly boosted~ As an old flagship, they should have a potential here.

I have heard the K812 in the Toronto headfi meet. Did not quite like it. It was trying too hard to beat the other flagships. While doing it, it lost its AKG identity. It almost sounds wrong to my ear for most of classical I have tried on it. (BTW, it is not as sexy as the Q701 and K702 IMO)

Did you hear my Q701 at the last T.O. head Fi meet? :D
They had the bass mod,

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #7,619 of 9,602
The only thing I see is HD800s all over the place~~~
I do not think I tried any AKG apart from that K812.

Really wish on the next meet I can try the AKG Q701 on different high end single ended headphone amps.
Most of the amp I saw last time that is ultra high end are all balanced~~~ or tube.

P.S.
yah, summer almost end, we should try to meet again soon~

Aug 28, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #7,620 of 9,602
Hey I just got my new q701 and this is my first "audiophile" grade headphones and im loving them so far! im running them out o a creative omni usb card. I just have a question, I find myself most of the time needing to increase the volume to almost or max in the windows volume control settings, does that mean that I need a bigger amp than what the card provides? will it actually improve the sound at all if I buy another amp? Im thinking of buying the O2 amp for the Q701, is that a good idea? 

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back