Q701 impressions thread
Aug 21, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #7,591 of 9,602
As a new guy in headfi, just got my AKG Q701 yesterday.

Initial impression of the phone on my HDVD800 is not good. Actually, pretty bad compare to HD800 balanced on that amp.

Then I bring it to my office, and uses my cheap Chinese made Musiland US02 dragon USB amp, it actually sounds amazing!!!!
Not sure what got into sennheiser by making such horrible single ended output on their amp (This is actually the first time I tired the single ended output since all my other headphone are balanced).

Now, I do want to take advantage of my fully balanced setup. Hence, I want to make a balanced cable for my new AKG. When I checked the connectors, I found out that the phone actually uses  3 pin mini xlr socket instead if 4 pin ones. This means I have to open up the phone and replaced the socket.

Any one have a step by step guide about open up this headphones? Possible parts that can fit in the phone?
I really wish they uses 4 pin-xlr which will make my live much easier.

Thanks

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #7,592 of 9,602
  As a new guy in headfi, just got my AKG Q701 yesterday.

Initial impression of the phone on my HDVD800 is not good. Actually, pretty bad compare to HD800 balanced on that amp.

Then I bring it to my office, and uses my cheap Chinese made Musiland US02 dragon USB amp, it actually sounds amazing!!!!
Not sure what got into sennheiser by making such horrible single ended output on their amp (This is actually the first time I tired the single ended output since all my other headphone are balanced).

Now, I do want to take advantage of my fully balanced setup. Hence, I want to make a balanced cable for my new AKG. When I checked the connectors, I found out that the phone actually uses  3 pin mini xlr socket instead if 4 pin ones. This means I have to open up the phone and replaced the socket.

Any one have a step by step guide about open up this headphones? Possible parts that can fit in the phone?

Thanks

I've seen this mod described somewhere, maybe even in this thread. Intending to perform this surgery on my pair soon. Apparently it can be done by replacing the connector's 3-pin core with a 4-pin one, which you can get from a standard 4-pin plug.

Regarding opening the headphones, the procedure is described in the first post in this thread where the bass port mod is explained (you may want to do that too).

Having said that: I'm afraid your experience with the HDVD800 may go from bad to worse when you use Q701s as balanced. This amp is perfect for the HD800 which are high impedance (300 Ohm), while the Qs are 62 Ohm.

The HDVD800 has 16 Ohm impedance in single ended mode, but 43 Ohm in balanced - by the book it's way too much for the Qs (the ratio should be at least 8:1). I couldn't find any output impedance of your Musiland amp, but I'm guessing it's output impedance is in the range 1 to 2 Ohm and that's what makes the difference.

But of course don't take my word for that and proceed with the mod. Just make sure to report back with the results - I'm curious!

Cheers

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #7,593 of 9,602
Thanks for the reply.
I do think you make a very good point here.
I think I need to go to my friend's house to try it on my rpx-35 to see whether I needed the balance mod.

I am thinking of getting the GSX or Liquid Gold for the AKG, but that is not gonna happen anytime soon. However, getting a new universal amp for both of my HE6 and T1 is my next move, hence I might just mod the AKG for fun~~~

P.S.
I already have the 4pin xlr mini connectors. I also have some 4 pin xlr leftover from my last HD800 balance cable project. I will let you know how well it goes.

Aug 21, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #7,594 of 9,602

Thanks

You could look at http://robrobinette.com/HeadphoneMods.htm , also has cable suggestions

if Musiland US02 dragon USB amp makes Q701 sound amazing maybe I should get one 
normal_smile .gif

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #7,595 of 9,602
Any one have a step by step guide about open up this headphones?
Thanks

Welcome to Head-Fi and congrats on the Q701. My sig has link to disassembly vid but only the right cup. However it should be same process for left cup, just gotta be more careful due to the plug connections.

Cheers,
Tim

EDIT: Noticed you've actually been a member much longer than I have but was responding to this "As a new guy in headfi, just got my AKG Q701 yesterday."

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #7,596 of 9,602
Since I an not planning to go for "True Balance" with dual equal length cable, I think the only real research I need to do is to find the mini 4 pin xlr socket that can actually fit inside the can. (Really do not think drill holes on a brand new head phone is a good idea, at least it hurt my heart~~~)

Hope the diameter is universal for most of the socket connectors.

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #7,597 of 9,602
Your post will be edited or deleted, as mentioning that site on Head-Fi is no go territory.  You can edit, or the mods will.  Just thought you should know.

Yes, the cartel-protecting nature of this site, and others, is very clear.

The fact is that you and I are the product, and our eye-balls and page views are the commodity sold to the real customers of this site - the advertisers.

So when you get in the way of that, you are gone.

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #7,599 of 9,602
Can anyone recommend a place to get replacement cables from? My 3M cable is going bad and I don't want to use the 6M for daily use. Not really into fancy snake-oil stuff, just a decent Mini XLR -> 3.5mm or 1/4 inch. 

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #7,600 of 9,602
  Can anyone recommend a place to get replacement cables from? My 3M cable is going bad and I don't want to use the 6M for daily use. Not really into fancy snake-oil stuff, just a decent Mini XLR -> 3.5mm or 1/4 inch. 

There seem to be a lot of those on Amazon, just type Q701 cable and you'd get a plethora of choices.

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #7,602 of 9,602
I've got the ones from eBay seller low20101020 and got no complaints. I've actually using a few of those cables with other headphones as well, great build and good length.

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #7,603 of 9,602
I also purchased my cable from the same eBay seller (dark brown colour). It actually fits better on my Q701 compared to the original cables (i.e. easier to plug or remove.)

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #7,604 of 9,602
I've got the ones from eBay seller low20101020 and got no complaints.

I also purchased my cable from the same eBay seller (dark brown colour). It actually fits better on my Q701 compared to the original cables (i.e. easier to plug or remove.)

Me too
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back