Q701 impressions thread
Jul 19, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #7,246 of 9,602
ou know those times you come up with a REALLY good idea only that idea is an alternative to another idea you had before and had already prepped for that earlier idea?
Well I'd cut away the dimples on the headband already in prep for the faux leather padded DIY job I have planned and just realised that with the headband fully extended out they fit nicely without any tightness or pressure on the head (simply hold the 2 bits at the end of each band together to get a feel for it on your head).
I decided to get a better feel for that and put 4 cable ties essentially locking the headband extension in place and well let's just say I probably would have had no reason at all to cut away the dimples now because the headband is perfect...

The design of the ear cups and the pressure from the curved rail on the headband means even when fully extended they don't move about or drop down but instead sit nicely in the middle of my ears. Others should try this super quick and completely reversible mod to see if headband comfort improves for them. For me there's less clamping pressure on the top of my head doing this so the dimples should sit softly on the head now as opposed to hard due to the elastic pulling them down.
Here's a pic of what bits to cable tie:

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #7,247 of 9,602
Dear Sirs,

I am looking to upgrade and basically want a better version of the Q701 with bass mod, with more soundstage and depth.
I am currently very satisfied with the treble and bass response of my Q701s but feel like the mid-range could use with more work and everything starts to sound very fuzzy on songs with alot of instruments.
My budget is $1200 incl. of a new DAC and amp. Prefer to buy everything 2nd-hand to maximize my dollar (Current using a custom O2 amp and an X-fi Titanium HD as source).
What do you think is a good step up? Looking at Audeze LCD-2 v2 as one of my options.

Jul 20, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #7,248 of 9,602
Dear Sirs,

I am looking to upgrade and basically want a better version of the Q701 with bass mod, with more soundstage and depth.
I am currently very satisfied with the treble and bass response of my Q701s but feel like the mid-range could use with more work and everything starts to sound very fuzzy on songs with alot of instruments.
My budget is $1200 incl. of a new DAC and amp. Prefer to buy everything 2nd-hand to maximize my dollar (Current using a custom O2 amp and an X-fi Titanium HD as source).
What do you think is a good step up? Looking at Audeze LCD-2 v2 as one of my options.

I've read that lcd2 doesn't have a large soundstage. It's also known as a dark sounding HP. The HE560 had better low end than the Q701 and pretty much everything else except soundstage width. An O2 should be sufficient for it.

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #7,249 of 9,602
  Dear Sirs,

I'd say there are only 2 option, really, that fits your criteria. HD800 or K812. Audez'es, albeit having intoxicating mids, they also come with condensed soundstage and IMO rolled-off treble.

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #7,250 of 9,602
  Dear Sirs,

Unfortunately, if you look at higher end headphones, you'll end up compromising in some way. 

Yoiu could get the LCD-2, which will really have incredible bass, and sound fantastic. But the LCD-2 sounds pretty closed in.

You could get the HD800 which has a great soundstage and detail, but it has hotter treble than the Q701, and much less bass.

Jul 20, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #7,251 of 9,602
IMO the HD800 have more bass (and also flatter) than the Q701. The treble is hotter, but also smoother with no sign of harshness or sibilance at all. A perfect upgrade from the Q701.

Jul 20, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #7,252 of 9,602
  IMO the HD800 have more bass (and also flatter) than the Q701. The treble is hotter, but also smoother with no sign of harshness or sibilance at all. A perfect upgrade from the Q701.

By this time next week I should have both the Q701 nand the HD 800 (right now I have neither, but both are on order).  Then I can give a report!  Also will have the HDVD 800 amp to use for the comparison ,

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #7,254 of 9,602

By this time next week I should have both the Q701 nand the HD 800 (right now I have neither, but both are on order).  Then I can give a report!  Also will have the HDVD 800 amp to use for the comparison ,

haha, exactly the same situation!

Looking forward to both your impressions so that I can make a good decision too.

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #7,255 of 9,602
IMHO the latest Fazor revision of LCD-2's is as open as Q's, with better imaging, and extended but recessed treble. The X would be a perfect upgrade, but is out of your range. Is check into some Hifiman offerings, the old HE-4 even would probably be a great upgrade. Also of note would be an offering from Beyerdynamic like the T5p perhaps... One guy's thoughts.

Jul 21, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #7,257 of 9,602
Dear Sirs,

Try the Stax SRS-2170 system.
For $800-900 you get headphones and an amp.
The Stax sounds like an improved Q701, smoother highs, a more natural midrange, you loose the treble grain and the slightly mechanical sound that dynamic headphones are plagued with.
Bass is flatter, all in all it is a more transparent, cleaner headphone.

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #7,258 of 9,602
Alright, so I received my magni today and I can't tell a difference with or without it. There MIGHT be a slight difference but I'm not confident I'd be able to identify with or without in a blind test.

The AD700's just seem much clearer and open and larger sound stage?, while the q701 feels compressed, contained, and muffled in games.

I found an audio track that I feel is really appropriate for testing: m83 - skin of the night. Mp3 v0.

So I'll probably just return the magni and sell the q701.

9d62fd4fa48c4072_25.gif

Just kidding. Give them a second try. Maybe it's the DAC, or no, or you just prefer the other ones. For tastes, the colors. XD

PD: the gif it's awesome.

EDIT:

haha, exactly the same situation!

HD800. Period. Pffff... Can't wait to stop wasting money in stupid things like quadcopters, 3d printing, tuitions and cars (used crappy ones) to save for one of these... but man, they are a bunch of bucks...

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #7,259 of 9,602
9d62fd4fa48c4072_25.gif

Just kidding. Give them a second try. Maybe it's the DAC, or no, or you just prefer the other ones. For tastes, the colors. XD

PD: the gif it's awesome.

The ad700 is one of the ugliest headphones I've ever seen. The q701 is one of, if not the most sexy headphone I've ever seen. That's why I was so stoked to try it since it got a 9.5 rating for gaming in mad lust's thread.

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #7,260 of 9,602

The ad700 is one of the ugliest headphones I've ever seen. The q701 is one of, if not the most sexy headphone I've ever seen. That's why I was so stoked to try it since it got a 9.5 rating for gaming in mad lust's thread.

Meh. Too plastic-tastic. Doesn't look as good IRL (black one does, but not white/green). Also uncomfortable as **** because of that stupid headband. Sounds fantastic, though. I think I might try out the AKG K712s sometime. They look promising. Any thoughts, guys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back