Q701 impressions thread
Mar 2, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #5,821 of 9,602

BTW I bought a Bravo V2 hybrid tube amp to play around with. It will either be pretty decent or just some cheap toy to play around with. I got it for under $60 with next day delivery. Not bad!

You're gonna need to change that tube 

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #5,823 of 9,602
^ Did you reverse the mod? If so, did you use the original tape? I might try that someday just for fun.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #5,824 of 9,602
I'll go out on a limb and say that I've never experienced the tonality or detail issues elwappo90 is speaking of, that, in some ways, are similar to the K 701. In fact, modded, the Q 701 that I am using does not, to my ears, have the midrange and treble grain that I clearly heard in a K 702 demo unit in a store about two weeks ago. Between the Q and K iteration, AKG has done something to the driver, housing or pad design which makes the driver performance less grainy--and, in turn, minimized the midrange inconsistencies and tonality issues--no matter if modded or not.

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #5,825 of 9,602
  BTW I bought a Bravo V2 hybrid tube amp to play around with. It will either be pretty decent or just some cheap toy to play around with. I got it for under $60 with next day delivery. Not bad!

Please update us on this. I was thinking of getting that or a magni. 

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #5,826 of 9,602
  Please update us on this. I was thinking of getting that or a magni. 

I have a Bravo V2 with upgraded tubes and the Q701 sounds pretty awesome when listening to flac or streamed music files on my computer.

It's a very powerful little amp and the ability to easily swap tubes is great.  It's so powerful that I don't have to put much volume into the amp in order to get it to listening level.  I've got probably 85-90% of the volume knob left with Q701s.

At $60, or whatever, it's very, very hard to go wrong.   I use mine in combination with an ELE D01 dac(I think thats the number) and the combo together costs ~$75.  That's less than the cost of a Magni or Vali for a dac and amp.

If you are the DIY type, you can upgrade it like crazy, but I haven't tried any of that out.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #5,828 of 9,602

Also did something like this, totally replacing the headband. Far better than any extra padding things I tried. Luckily, I had a spare K701 headband that I could scrap the parts of, without committing to damage the Q701 stock headband. 

Thought about just buying a K701 or K712 headband but didn't feel like shelling out 30 dollars then waiting for it to arrive in the mail so I opted for a more local option lol.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #5,830 of 9,602
It seems that the only victims of headband pain are the owners of the Austrian-made model. AKG might have taken advantage of the opportunity to fix that problem when they moved production to China.

Nah, my Made In China white version needed bump surgery with a bandana bandage (bandandage?).  Fixed it right up.  BUT, I've got no hair up there, so YMMV.

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #5,831 of 9,602
It seems that the only victims of headband pain are the owners of the Austrian-made model. AKG might have taken advantage of the opportunity to fix that problem when they moved production to China.

Chinese version here, experiencing pain after an hour of usage. Would occasionally relocate the pressure to further back of the head or take it off, ruffle hair, put it back on

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #5,834 of 9,602
  I just reversed the mod and after few minutes of listening i took off the tape again i don't like my Q with that tape anymore.

I know. This mod may only raise the lower and mid bass by a hair, but once you experience the difference, there is no going back. Now, if we can only get Tyll to graph it so we can visually confirm what I have been hearing in some frequency sweeps and other tests. To me, it sounds like a 3 to 4 dB gradual boost centered around 45-50 Hz, but I'm not 100 percent positive.

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #5,835 of 9,602
  ^ Did you reverse the mod? If so, did you use the original tape? I might try that someday just for fun.

Yea, it's easy to reverse. I'd suspect most people will enjoy the mod. Try taking only one side off at a time. Do a side by side comparison. If you listen to bass heavy music you'll probably really enjoy it. If you're into more acoustic sounds, you might feel it's a little off. If you really like the mod you should look into the K702 anniversary or K712. Adds a bit more bass, but in a more consistent manner. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back