Q701 impressions thread
Feb 25, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #5,732 of 9,602
I sold my pair, I did love them though. They were just so clear, nothing I've heard but the HD800 so far has matched them (but I haven't heard a lot of headphones). I'm hoping that the MatinLogan Mikros 90 will sound just as good, if not better.

Feb 25, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #5,733 of 9,602
  Can anyone do a comparison between the Q701 and the Fidelio X1 / DT880 / DT990 / MA900 / HD598? Will be used with a Soundblaster Z and, maybe if needed, a Schiit Magni. Rock and hard rock are my musical preferences and I do play competitive FPS.

Yes just do a comparison between ALL the mid range headphones from every major audio company for a couple of very specific genres of music as well as games.
To be honest, what you ask is a tall order. I mean all these headhones are mid-fi, but together cost a lot of money. I don't think that many people on here own ALL that at the moment for direct comparison as well as the other hardware listed there. 
Just look up comparisons between 2 or 3 at a time, and see which one you like the most.  

Feb 25, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #5,735 of 9,602
  Yes just do a comparison between ALL the mid range headphones from every major audio company for a couple of very specific genres of music as well as games.
To be honest, what you ask is a tall order. I mean all these headhones are mid-fi, but together cost a lot of money. I don't think that many people on here own ALL that at the moment for direct comparison as well as the other hardware listed there. 
Just look up comparisons between 2 or 3 at a time, and see which one you like the most.  

I'm not asking someone compare ALL them together, of course lol. 

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #5,737 of 9,602
Feb 25, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #5,738 of 9,602
Joining the club here. Got the lime green, most pics online doesn't capture the color right but this is close.

Before that my first akg were a used set of k280s3

I always thought the lime green looked horrible, but your photo makes it look very appealing.

I don't usually like all black electronics because I think it's a bit played out (like grey electronics in the 90s) but I think the Q701 looks really nice in all black with the green cable.

Kind of wishing I had lime green ones now though!

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #5,739 of 9,602
Thanks everybody for your contributions to this thread. I got my Q701's about a month ago, and soon after an M Stage. For portable, listening to a Fiio X3.

My thoughts:

1. Best headphones I've ever had, huge bang for the buck.
  2. Most comfortable I've ever had, too. The bumps on the headband don't bother me, a bit of air flow on my lid in hot weather might be a good thing.
  3. Bass port mod: I really don't understand why AKG put those stickers there. I would never ever reverse it now that I've tried it.

I will be enjoying these for quite some time, the urge to upgrade has gone away (for now).

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #5,740 of 9,602
So, I got bored last night and ordered an Asgard 2 on Amazon ($200 because it was, "B-Stock" - sweet deal!).

I've heard the Lyr is incredible with the Q701, but that was more than twice the price so the Asgard 2 will have to hold me over.

What is the consensus for the Q701/Asgard 2?  I flipped through the thread and it seemed like it was unanimously good, but not as good as the Lyr (which one day I'll own, but just not today), so I'm pretty excited to hear it for myself.

I haven't owned a solid state amp in probably 5-6 years, so I'm really excited to change things up a little bit.  Mostly listening to records, but might hook it up to my PC to see what' s up.

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #5,741 of 9,602
Frank from AKG mailed me a new driver for my broken one two weeks ago and it came in today.

Got it all soldered in now, it's good to have my Qs back (Oh mids, how I've missed you
gs1000.gif
). But, I didn't get a matched pair, only one driver, so now I get to burn in only the left driver for like 100 hours to catch it up. Can't really complain though, they sent the driver free of charge with no shipping cost. I even told them I messed it up modifying the headphones (but still under warranty. Will be doing business with AKG again.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #5,743 of 9,602
  As much as I still love my Q701s, they are very uncomfortable sometimes.

DT880 Premium is the way if you prioritize comfortability. SQ wise though, I prefer the Q701 (and I don't have much trouble with its comfort as well).

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #5,745 of 9,602
Hello. Bought a pair of these in white. Mine are made in China, but I seem to notice no issues with these at all (I have nothing to compare them to anyways). Great build quality, fantastic sound... About those bumps though. I don't seem to notice them most of the time. Occasionally I can feel them, but when I do I just shift the headphone to a new position. Really happy with these overall. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back