Feb 2, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #5,446 of 9,602
Hi guys,
I use my q701 with e12+bass boost. I want to upgrade my system. My options,
Schiit modi+e12(bass boost) combo
Ifi ican
Ifi idac
idac+e12(bass boost)

Note-i prefer bass boost with q's.
What's the most effective upgrade in your opinion?

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #5,447 of 9,602
Hi guys,
I use my q701 with e12+bass boost. I want to upgrade my system. My options,
Schiit modi+e12(bass boost) combo
Ifi ican
Ifi idac
idac+e12(bass boost)

Note-i prefer bass boost with q's.
What's the most effective upgrade in your opinion?

Have you tried doing the bass port mod? It may make it so that you no longer feel the need to EQ them. Then your amp options get bigger, since not all amps have a bass boost option. Of course if you are using a computer you can always EQ with your music software instead. 

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #5,448 of 9,602
Quick question, which one of these would you recommend most for the Q701s? The Objective2, E09K or Magni. Also, if you have any other recommendations for around the same price (or less!) let me know.

Thanks!

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #5,449 of 9,602
  Quick question, which one of these would you recommend most for the Q701s? The Objective2, E09K or Magni. Also, if you have any other recommendations for around the same price (or less!) let me know.

Thanks!

All 3 are good in that price range. I haven't heard any of them myself so I can't say. 

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #5,450 of 9,602

Thanks!
O2 will sound thinner or colder.e9 sounds more fuller. Don't know about magni.
But Edd of noble hifi recommended magni/modi combo with q701 over any other combos he had tried.
I'm also in the same boat as you.

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #5,452 of 9,602
But Edd of noble hifi recommended magni/modi combo with q701 over any other combos he had tried.

Ah right, Thanks. I'll have a look around to decide between the E09K and Magni. If i go for the Magni ill end up getting the Modi later on as im on abit of a budget at the moment.

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #5,453 of 9,602
Input impedence: 300ohm vs 62ohm.

The tricky part is getting the right current to match that impedance. Not more voltage.

My Q701 (62) requires more voltage than my HD700 (150) to match volumes. The Q701 are noticeably more difficult to drive as well surprisingly. That's what I think they were trying to say comparing the Q701 with the HD650.

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #5,454 of 9,602

I think that's fair to say. 02/magni are a little thin sounding. You wouldn't know it if it's the only/first amp you had. The magni was my first amp with the Q's and i have a hard time recommending it because i know there are better pairings. My vote would go to the e9. 

Feb 2, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #5,455 of 9,602

Thanks!

As for budget amps i've tried for the Q701 ONLY I'd rank them as follows:

Headroom Micro Amp (+ Astryodyne PS unit)
iFi iCAN
Fiio E9 (E09K)
O2
Magni

Vali is also great for the Q701, but it's not suggested if you plan on getting lots of other headphones in the future.
Magni is less of a good all-rounder than the O2, but not too bad.

I never had a headphone sound bad from the Fiio E9 honestly..it's not perfect though. It has a touch of warmth to my ears.

Micro Amp is not sold anymore, but at $229 it was a steal. I've had mine for 3 years and love it. It's similar to the ifi ican, but a little less warm and has a larger soundstage.

iFi iCAN is the closest i've come to the Micro Amp sound (which is basically transparent but not cold/thin).

I bet you that the Matrix M-Stage and Micro are even closer in sound than the iFi iCAN, but maybe not.

I also used the original Asgard 1 with my old K702. Not a good match at all..

Feb 2, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #5,456 of 9,602

As for budget amps i've tried for the Q701 ONLY I'd rank them as follows:

Headroom Micro Amp (+ Astryodyne PS unit)
iFi iCAN
Fiio E9 (E09K)
O2
Magni

Vali is also great for the Q701, but it's not suggested if you plan on getting lots of other headphones in the future.
Magni is less of a good all-rounder than the O2, but not too bad.

I never had a headphone sound bad from the Fiio E9 honestly..it's not perfect though. It has a touch of warmth to my ears.

Micro Amp is not sold anymore, but at $229 it was a steal. I've had mine for 3 years and love it. It's similar to the ifi ican, but a little less warm and has a larger soundstage.

iFi iCAN is the closest i've come to the Micro Amp sound (which is basically transparent but not cold/thin).

I bet you that the Matrix M-Stage and Micro are even closer in sound than the iFi iCAN, but maybe not.

I also used the original Asgard 1 with my old K702. Not a good match at all..

Interesting... I do like a warm sounding headphone so the E9 seems the right choice for me. Thanks for the input!

Feb 2, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #5,457 of 9,602
  Input impedence: 300ohm vs 62ohm.

The tricky part is getting the right current to match that impedance. Not more voltage.

Needs BOTH, approx 1.6x Voltage, 8x current, (therefore approx 13x power) as in post.

Don't know why people assume 701 are easy to drive just because they are not high impedance.

Edit: @Ahade Sorry, I missed your post.

Feb 2, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #5,458 of 9,602
My Q701 is sad and jealous. Sorry Q701.

Feb 3, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #5,459 of 9,602

Needs BOTH, approx 1.6x Voltage, 8x current, (therefore approx 13x power) as in post.

Don't know why people assume 701 are easy to drive just because they are not high impedance.

Edit: @Ahade Sorry, I missed your post.

No problem. I definitely have the same experience you have with these headphones.

Feb 3, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #5,460 of 9,602

No problem. I definitely have the same experience you have with these headphones.

Does this mean I'm STILL running the Q701's underamped with the O2? I mean, I already love the sound of the upgrade from an E12 to an ODAC/O2... but I'm just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back