Q701 impressions thread
Jan 31, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #5,416 of 9,602
  I was actually considering these especially at that price point, but this review makes me nervous as he listens to some music that I listen to as well:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R8CU9KUGXDY2V/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00FSA8VQ2&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

Do you think the bass is unrefined because bass quality is a important to me.

Link seems to be broken.  This seems to work:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R8CU9KUGXDY2V

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #5,418 of 9,602
Hi, just got a pair of Q701 a couple of months ago for my first pair of true audiophile headphones and am loving them! The only thing is that I am running them with no amp and using my on board computers DAC which does ok I guess but really doesn't do the Q701s any justice. My question is what amp would you all recommend? I've been looking at a few and am liking the Schiit Lyr but it is a little on the pricey side for a college student. I do know that I like the sound of tube amps, so I'm looking in that area but am not opposed to solid state amps.

Thanks ahead of time! :)

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #5,419 of 9,602
Hi, just got a pair of Q701 a couple of months ago for my first pair of true audiophile headphones and am loving them! The only thing is that I am running them with no amp and using my on board computers DAC which does ok I guess but really doesn't do the Q701s any justice. My question is what amp would you all recommend? I've been looking at a few and am liking the Schiit Lyr but it is a little on the pricey side for a college student. I do know that I like the sound of tube amps, so I'm looking in that area but am not opposed to solid state amps.

Thanks ahead of time!
smily_headphones1.gif

Check out
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685162/new-vali-schiit-amp

and get a USB DAC
(you can get HiFiMeDIY Sabre DAC  for  <$50, or spend more, of course, if budget allows). 

My current "do it all" budget favourite is FiiO X3.

And try the Q701 bass mod if you haven't already.

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #5,420 of 9,602

Thanks ahead of time!
smily_headphones1.gif

Try Audio Bravo Ocean or if you like tube rolling LD 1+ and get a 6HM5 Yugoslavia tubes $5 per tube(ebay)shipping included.

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #5,421 of 9,602
The Audio Bravo Ocean matches up very well with the Q701 just watch that you don't pair it with a warm DAC as it might be to warm then. From my AudioEngine D1 the Ocean becomes to warm, from my LittleDot DAC1 it is a great combination.

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #5,422 of 9,602
Check out
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685162/new-vali-schiit-amp

and get a USB DAC
(you can get HiFiMeDIY Sabre DAC  for  <$50, or spend more, of course, if budget allows). 

My current "do it all" budget favourite is FiiO X3.

And try the Q701 bass mod if you haven't already.

+1 on the HiFimeDIY DAC.  I love my Sabre U2.  If you can swing the $30 USB isolator, get that, too, or add it later.

I also love my JDS Labs C5 amp.  They now have the C5D, which is the C5 amp + a DAC.  Thread is here.

Schiit has a good budget-conscious line, too.  And now they have a budget tube amp.  Don't know much about it, but I'm sure there's a thread somewhere in Head-Fi 
wink.gif

Bottom line: you can make the Qs shine without spending a lot.  You'll notice the difference immediately.

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #5,423 of 9,602
  The Audio Bravo Ocean matches up very well with the Q701 just watch that you don't pair it with a warm DAC as it might be to warm then. From my AudioEngine D1 the Ocean becomes to warm, from my LittleDot DAC1 it is a great combination.

I do have both the Bravo and D1 to my ear it's not that bad, anyway i'am still shopping for DAC my budget is $200-$300  what do you Suggest?i will be using the DAC with BRAVO,Little dot 1+ and Little dot MK III. THANKS!

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #5,424 of 9,602
If you enjoy the combination then just use what you have as it always boils down to preference. I actually only own the two DAC's I mentioned. The Littledot DAC1 is a colder sound than the Audio engine which seemed to work better for me.

Should mention I have modded my Q701, unmodded the audioengine bravo combination might be very nice.

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #5,425 of 9,602
If you enjoy the combination then just use what you as it always boils down to preference. I actually only own the two DAC's I mentioned. The Littledot DAC1 is a colder sound than the Audio engine which seemed to work better for me.

Should mention I have modded my Q701, unmodded the audioengine bravo combination might be very nice.

mine is modded the bass with D1 is nice.LD DAC1 is a bit much for me thanks though.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #5,426 of 9,602

Thanks ahead of time!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aune T1!!! It sounds great and is sexy as well!

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #5,427 of 9,602

Thanks ahead of time!
smily_headphones1.gif

Using my Q701 with the Matrix Mini-I DAC/amp. Has a nice sound after the bass mod. Personally, thought it was cold and gutless prior to the bass port mod though.

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #5,428 of 9,602
  Sorry, darrenyeats, you're quite right, of course. However, for me, the change made the Q701s improve dramatically, and, although any complication is unwelcome, that is relevant to the thread, I think... The bad news is that I am now looking at the other systems, wondering if the cost of putting excellent mains cables everywhere is worth it! Oy.

Please see latest post here for some comments on mains quality: http://www.head-fi.org/t/685401/benchmark-dac1-hdr-set-up

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #5,429 of 9,602
I listen to my Q701's through my Nuforce UDH 100 Dac/Amp, fed by my iMac .I am really pleased now I have done the bass mod they sound fantastic with all types of music.
Just sold my Sennheiser HD 650's as the Q701's beat them on all fronts.

Nick

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #5,430 of 9,602

Thanks ahead of time!
smily_headphones1.gif

Be sure to get an amp with a low output impedance.  They sound a lot better hooked up to my objective2 amp than they do out of my marantz receiver.  WIth that said, i recommend the o2 amp.  Plenty of power and no distortion for cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back