Q701 impressions thread
Feb 13, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #9,541 of 9,602
When my friend listened with me the q 701 with the first Magni 6 years ago the total non synergy was apparent, and it was the worst amplifier I ever listen to (dry 2-d sound)....We switch immediately for a cheap Ocean Bravo tube amplifier(with high gain) which i owns at this time and there was absolutely no comparison and a so beautiful synergy that my friend bought a Bravo amp on the spot,sells the magni and owns these 2 to this day...The 701 is miraculously in love with the Bravo...

Is an E17k (Alpen 2) sufficient? Ive had my eye on the Magni 3 or an 02 for awhile, but haven't bit the bullet. I'm just wary of the few posters who say that the magni and the 02 sound 'thin' with the Qs. Does the Magni 3 do these cans justice?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #9,542 of 9,602
Guys I found a 2nd hand Q701 and I'm about to take that offer.Because it was OK in price(About 130$=530TL in Turkey).So I need a DAC/AMP for it and I don't have budget more than 150$.So I found Audioengine D1 Dac/Amp for less than that.Here's my question.Should I take them both or geth something else instead of Audioengine D1?

Also is there anything I need to check before buying Q701s.I'll be with my HTC10.I don't have any DAP,portable dac/amps.

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #9,543 of 9,602
Guys I found a 2nd hand Q701 and I'm about to take that offer.Because it was OK in price(About 130$=530TL in Turkey).So I need a DAC/AMP for it and I don't have budget more than 150$.So I found Audioengine D1 Dac/Amp for less than that.Here's my question.Should I take them both or geth something else instead of Audioengine D1?

Also is there anything I need to check before buying Q701s.I'll be with my HTC10.I don't have any DAP,portable dac/amps.
Fiio q1 mk2 is only $100

Mar 23, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #9,545 of 9,602
Well, i went with the Magni 3 while willing to return it if i didn't like the synergy. the upgrade from the Fiio E17k is very apparent to me. it sounds quite nice. I might get the Bravo later on down the line, but i am happy with my new piece of kit. ( I have also performed the Bass-port Mod (before I got the amp)). I do find that the output from my Sony DVP-NC875 (SACD, DVD, CD player) sounds better than the e17k in the line out DAC configuration.

May 8, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #9,548 of 9,602
Probably would work. If you want the official part, you can contact AKG directly. Service parts or somthing. They can send you a .PDF (googling may help as well) that has a parts list with #numbers.

Sep 28, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #9,549 of 9,602
I will counter your opinion with my own; You are wrong. As someone who has done numerous bass mods on various headphones from Grado, beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, and AKG including my currently owned Q701, I can tell you first hand that if I had my micro iCAN SE at the time of owning them, I would have spent more time enjoying the music and zero time pissing around with foam, felt, sticky tack and the likes. I am fortunate that I picked up my Q701 after obtaining the micro iCAN SE. Truth be told, after hearing the K701 if it weren't for the iCAN SE and it's magical XBass I would not have considered purchasing the Q701 at all; Glad I did, phenomenal headphones, and I only paid $150 CND! Using the lowest XBass setting has far better control, impact, and sub bass weight than the mod which in comparison sounds muddy, boomy, and alters the rest of the sound presentation to the point that (IMO) they aren't the Q701 any more. Sorry, but losing some depth and midrange is unacceptable! On a side note, using the highest XBass setting, the Q701 takes it like a boss with excellent control vs other headphones in my inventory (such as the HD 600). I will say this, digital bass boost and tone controls are less than stellar. My 2 cents.

Speaking of iFi, while the pairing of the micro iCAN SE and the Q701 is fantastic, adding the micro iTube2 into the chain is nothing short of magical! I am not going to spoil too much because I want to save the good stuff for it's review, but I will say that the iTube2 in conjunction with the lowest XBass setting is extremely satisfying adding both impact and weight as well as texture! The added warmth and air both tamed and opened up the treble, taking down the edge a notch yet expanding the spectrum! And mids... wow... simply put, gorgeous! Not to mention the expanded depth. My iFi stack and the Q701 is a match made in heaven!

And while I have ya all reading, I may as well mention the mods I have done. The first one is a simple one; Doubling up the foam ring. This helps take the edge off the upper mids and lower treble, the area I am sensitive too. The second was upgrading the cable to a better quality and more manageable length. I got a nice silver 1.5m 5N OCC copper cable which definitely sounds a touch better than the horrible unusable length stock cables. But the biggest change was this:

So what I did was cut out the stupid raised bumps with a surgical scalpel and carefully cleaned up the area. I then took 1/8" craft felt with an adhesive backing and traced out the shape of the headband. After I took that shape and traced it out onto the genuine high quality leather I picked up at a craft store. I had black but it wasn't as rugged as the dark green (which looked like it was recycled from a couch factory). Anyway, I used brush on rubber cement and put a thin layer on the top of the felt and underside of the leather and joined the two. While the glue was still wet I pulled off the backing of the felt and placed it on the headband, and let it dry overnight. The result is like over 9000% increase in comfort! I figured using a layer of padding in between the headband and the leather would add to the comfort and I believe I made the right choice. Plus, at any time I want to upgrade the pad or swap out after wear I can easily do so because the adhesive on the felt is strong enough to indefinitely hold the pad on with normal use, yet it's bond is weak enough I can easily peel off and would probably have no damage to the headband's leather. Booya! Screw you Quincy Jone and AKG for your stupid decision to add bumps! I showed you!

:beerchug:

I will agree with you about the bass mod. I've had mine bass modded, (the sticker removed from the back of the driver) for quite a while. I just got a new DAC/amp, the Topping NX4 DSD, which has a bass boost switch. I listened to them on this amp with the bass mod for one night and got curious as to how it would sound with the bass boost from the amp instead of the "mod" so I un-did the bass mod and am now using the amps bass boost and I think it sounds better this way.

On another note, I cut the center few bumps off my headband and covered the uglyness with a piece of adhesive backed felt quite a few years ago. They can be worn for endless hours now.

Sep 30, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #9,550 of 9,602
Topping NX4 DSD, which has a bass boost switch. I listened to them on this amp with the bass mod for one night and got curious as to how it would sound with the bass boost from the amp instead of the "mod" so I un-did the bass mod and am now using the amps bass boost and I think it sounds better this way.
after hearing the K701 if it weren't for the iCAN SE and it's magical XBass I would not have considered purchasing the Q701 at all; Glad I did, phenomenal headphones, [...] On a side note, using the highest XBass setting, the Q701 takes it like a boss with excellent control vs other headphones in my inventory (such as the HD 600). I will say this, digital bass boost and tone controls are less than stellar. My 2 cents.
Why would analog bass boost be any better than digital bass boost? Unless it does something else? How is it better? I've tried to find measurements for the xbass setting; to see what it does to the FR (if you don't know exactly what it does to the FR, you can't really compare it to a different FR setting, be it digital or not...), but couldn't find measurements. Any more detail on what it does and why it's better than digital boost?

FWIW, I'm not entirely sure I prefer the Q701 with boosted bass; I've tried to digitally EQ for flat bass to ~30Hz, and yeah you do get more bass, but at the same time, it seems to take a bit away from from what I'd describe as 'tightness'. It just seems to become a bit less dynamic and you seem to lose quite a bit of the contrast between the sounds and bits between sounds. The answer might be a less aggressive boost; maybe 2dB boost ~30Hz instead of 4dB.

Code:
Good example of song with fast transients to perceive the bass boost difference;  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Od7R6eAtY

But anyway, bass boost on Q701 makes them less like 400i for instance, which are much 'faster' and have much better detail in the low end. I guess it has to do with distortion. Boosting low end response of Q701 makes the lower end which has almost 10% THD more obvious (as well as potentially impacting other frequencies), while even a flat boosted bass 400i has less than 1% THD in the low bass... Maybe a case of less/no boost of distorted bass is better than boosted?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #9,551 of 9,602
Why would analog bass boost be any better than digital bass boost? Unless it does something else? How is it better? I've tried to find measurements for the xbass setting; to see what it does to the FR (if you don't know exactly what it does to the FR, you can't really compare it to a different FR setting, be it digital or not...), but couldn't find measurements. Any more detail on what it does and why it's better than digital boost?

FWIW, I'm not entirely sure I prefer the Q701 with boosted bass; I've tried to digitally EQ for flat bass to ~30Hz, and yeah you do get more bass, but at the same time, it seems to take a bit away from from what I'd describe as 'tightness'. It just seems to become a bit less dynamic and you seem to lose quite a bit of the contrast between the sounds and bits between sounds. The answer might be a less aggressive boost; maybe 2dB boost ~30Hz instead of 4dB.

Code:
Good example of song with fast transients to perceive the bass boost difference;  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Od7R6eAtY

But anyway, bass boost on Q701 makes them less like 400i for instance, which are much 'faster' and have much better detail in the low end. I guess it has to do with distortion. Boosting low end response of Q701 makes the lower end which has almost 10% THD more obvious (as well as potentially impacting other frequencies), while even a flat boosted bass 400i has less than 1% THD in the low bass... Maybe a case of less/no boost of distorted bass is better than boosted?
This article might shed some light on your question.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-322#post-13748153

Sep 30, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #9,552 of 9,602
Not really... It doesn't even seem to relate as I mentioned 4dB boost at 30Hz plus we're not talking about a physical digital EQ but software EQ, so none of the reasons why a digital EQ could be bad even apply. And also it only paints one half of the picture. For the longest time I've heard audiophiles scoff at EQs & consistently recommend not using any analog EQ, as that would negatively affect a system. So even if you ignored the fact that bass boost aren't anywhere near as flexible or configurable as digital eq, it's not like they appear to be anywhere near perfect either...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/29748-analog-eq-phase-issues.html
Actually, linear phase digital EQ doesn't introduce phase issues which is one of the reasons you have to apply so much to hear it work.

The way an analog equalizer works is that you have filters [fixed or variable] that carve out a little piece of the audio... that little piece of the audio is then added to the original signal in either positive or negative polarity ["boost" being the addition in positive polariy, "cut" being the addition in negative polarity].

Anytime you run any signal through an analog filter you're going to get a phase shift. The phase shift is a timing issue... a couple of examples... when you filter off the bottom you're not only cutting the low frequency information, you're also slowing down the low end component of the signal allowing the treble freqencies to pass first, when you roll off the top too low you slow down the treble frequencies... this is why things like Mackie desks have ****ty bottom and ****ty top but measure well between 20Hz and 20kHz... you're not measuring the timing of the arrival of the signal you're measuring the energy of the signal. That little supercomputer we call a brain does register even the smallest timing alteration within a signal... in other words we hear stuff quite clearly that isn't regularly measured.

What happens in the case of something like this kind of inexpensive desk is that the midrange [specifically upper midrange] comes out first which is why you get that kinda thin, "gank" component to the audio. This is why when you get behind something like an old Neve desk that has a frequency response of like 4-6Hz on the bottom to like 65-80kHz on the top the audio seems larger and smoother.

Now there are other components that fukk with phase... like transformers. The reason we find many transformers to sound "really musical" is because they slow down the upper frequency component of the audio allowing the bass to pass first [there are other things that go on with transformers but phase response is a biggie].

This is what we call "large" or "big" or "rich" or "full". Most of the reason Neve modules are as sought after as they are is because of this componenet of the sound of the transformers [specifically the output transformer which is why it's such a drag that companies like Vintech use an output transformer that exacerbates this phenomenon along with an added low end distortion characteristic... but I digress].

Any EQ that was designed without sufficient headroom and/or was designed so the bottom rolled off too high [the 3db down point should not be in double digits... the 3db down point on the top shouldn't be any lower than like 50kHz, and many of them will pass up to 150-200kHz... which is fondly exagerated with the saying "passes DC to light"].

There are some EQ's that do marvelously with both low and high end material... there are some that do miserably with low and high end material... there are some that spec mediocre and sound amazing, there are some that spec like they came from heaven above and sound like ass.

Much of it will be your sense of aesthetic... some of it will be you point of reference, some of it is definitely superstition.

You can even find here; https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/mixing-techniques/impact-eq-phase-314168/ a youtube video which demonstrates at 55m45s that there is zero negative impact to EQing digitally even with 10dB of boost... So it does appear that it's the opposite; digital EQ should sound superior to analog EQ. Basically digital should be completely transparent. And if analog sounds different/better, then it is likely an artifact that is introduced by the analog EQ rather than some fault in digital EQ...

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #9,553 of 9,602
Yep, digital is the perfect domain for implementing the EQ maths.

Apr 11, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #9,554 of 9,602
I just re-bought a Q701...after selling my old black one maybe half a year ago:beyersmile:
I’ve been kicking myself about it ever since tbh, so when a used one showed up for sale, I just couldn’t help myself. It’s also white which was the colour I was opting for the first time around.
Anyway I paid a little over a hundred dollars for what genuinely feels like a brand new headphone. Katjing!

Maybe it’s because I love the K701, always have, but I would never consider modding the bass on this baby. Why mess with that level of control and detail? The fact that it also is a tad more present than on it’s daddyo adds to the overall feeling of ‘katjing’...well at least for me. Electronic music sounds absolutely brilliant over this can:ksc75smile:
I am keeping it this time around. No sense in going round in circles hah!
...errm

Apr 11, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #9,555 of 9,602
I like my 2 AKG a lot...The K 701 is very good...His soundstage is to my liking...The K 340 is more natural for voice ...But the 2 are my headphones of choice after some trip many years before buying them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back