Q701 impressions thread
Feb 10, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #9,512 of 9,602
Apr 15, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #9,515 of 9,602
The bass mod could be possible obsolete (or comes to compareable results) if using the IFI Ican Micro with x-Bass setting in the lowest mode wich gives around +1-3db in the lowest region.

Are there some experiences around with the IFI and the K701/702?

I ordered a K702 as a step up from a K401 witch works really fantastic with the Ifi Ican micro, even in the direct mode. The 401 is heard to have little more weight in bassline

Apr 15, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #9,516 of 9,602
The bass mod could be possible obsolete (or comes to compareable results) if using the IFI Ican Micro with x-Bass setting in the lowest mode wich gives around +1-3db in the lowest region.

Are there some experiences around with the IFI and the K701/702?

I ordered a K702 as a step up from a K401 witch works really fantastic with the Ifi Ican micro, even in the direct mode. The 401 is heard to have little more weight in bassline
i would have to disagree with this statement on the grounds that you are adding extra bass to the actual sound coming from the music. The mid simply allows the headphone to breathe properly and no longer restrict itself. You only get the bass that is present in the music, not an inflated particular frequency.

Apr 15, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #9,517 of 9,602
i would have to disagree with this statement on the grounds that you are adding extra bass to the actual sound coming from the music. The mid simply allows the headphone to breathe properly and no longer restrict itself. You only get the bass that is present in the music, not an inflated particular frequency.

Not a statement just my suspicion that this leads eventually to compareable results. The x-Bass on the ifi ican micro in the first setting around 2 db+ with the K702 will be auditioned next week. Will post little review (even the can is in the first hours :wink: will see the impression 

The mod will be an issue after a nice burn in .. nice to have anyway this tuneup possibilities

Happy easter time and greetings from vienna/austria

Apr 15, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #9,518 of 9,602
  Not a statement just my suspicion that this leads eventually to compareable results. The x-Bass on the ifi ican micro in the first setting around 2 db+ with the K702 will be auditioned next week. Will post little review (even the can is in the first hours :wink: will see the impression 

The mod will be an issue after a nice burn in .. nice to have anyway this tuneup possibilities

Happy easter time and greetings from vienna/austria

In my opinion the bass mod cannot be reproduced using bass boost or any other tricks on amplifier.

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #9,519 of 9,602
First impressions of my new K702: simply wonderful

Out of the box after 6 hours: what should sound better after burn in? No idea .. will see what happens :wink:

I will do no bassmod here, no there is no need imho!

Maybe this are brand new series but I dont miss no bass. I heard now for longer time 90 % in direkt mode, sometims I give a smooth bassboost when it fits ocasionally but as I said there is no no need for me in my combo.
I hear all styles of music - not a classic freak, jazz, dub, rock too

Or maybe its the marvellous pairing with the IFI ICAN Micro ...I dont know. Everything ist just perfekt - open, crispy and punch if its really there. if I want to FEEL it helps X-Bass in the lowest setting - but most of the time I enjoy listening in the flat and direct position.

Fantastic Can and it seems an outstanding good amp pairing (its not the SE version!) Power, crisp, openness and wonderful bass with the K702 in direct mode.

I read in German/Austrian forums about some who felt the bassmod too enormous and went back to stockmod. Some told 50% of the outcome would be enough to be not nasty. In my case and in this combo I will leave the can how it is: pretty fantastic!

I was playing around with EARMAX Tubeamps, AKG K240, AKG K410, Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdynamic DT880, IFI Ican Micro
At the end I liked the K401 with the IFI most. The new K702 now gives a bigger soundstage and more details now even it lacks burn in .. will see:wink:

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #9,520 of 9,602
^^

Definitely give them a lot of burn-in time. I have K702s, and the bass got deeper and stronger after about 100 hours or burn-in. I put a CD with a lot of different types of music on replay for a few days to get the burn-in done.

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #9,521 of 9,602
The K702 said to have a slightly different tuning than the Q701. The Q701 was originally created for more bass compared to the K701, and the Massdrop version said to have even more bass based on the Anniversary version of 702 I believe. Anyway my Q701 has a bass mod and I would never go back, having said that it's still not good enough for rock [metal,progressive] IMO however for acoustic bass on Jazz and classical is spot on. I also have the Ican micro non SE and yes it is probably one of the best match for this headphones in that price range.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #9,523 of 9,602
Yes. Q701 is excellent for their price. They were my entry into hifi sound and they are a wonderful entry at that. 

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #9,525 of 9,602
what does 'too colored for music production' mean? they reproduced classical music great for the year plus that I used them as my primary cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back