Q701 impressions thread
Dec 4, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #9,121 of 9,603
Ill also add that i think the Q701 is a headphone better suited for listening to at a lower volume than some may be used to. At high volumes most people would probably find it to be tiring. It is perfect if you like to listen at 80db or less and want to hear every detail.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #9,122 of 9,603

I plug in my Q701 to my PIONEER SX-3700 Receiver and WOW! The sound is amazing it sounded like a big speakers on my ears the soundstage is huge and the bass is slamming hard.
gs1000.gif

Have a question for you, do you find the 701 sound sometimes harsh on the treble and the sound is too much "in your face" in some songs?   

Yes it can be harsh at times but depends on a amp it's plug in to and  it's not too much for me.With my Pioneer SX-3700 i can turn the volume up and it's not fatiguing at all.

Dec 4, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #9,123 of 9,603
Anybody here have experience with the TH-X00'S or 600's? I recently purchased the X00's hopefully to serve as a foil for my Q's, and am wondering how they compare.

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #9,124 of 9,603
The TH-600s have a colder, wetter, bigger bass. The mids are more metallic, though very open and transparent. Treble is similar, though deeper in the image, and with a higher relative peak (frequency wise).

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #9,125 of 9,603
The TH-600s have a colder, wetter, bigger bass. The mids are more metallic, though very open and transparent. Treble is similar, though deeper in the image, and with a higher relative peak (frequency wise).

Thanks for the insight! I guess I may end up selling my Q's to help fund a higher tier amp to improve the TH-X00'S

Dec 5, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #9,126 of 9,603
^^^
I encourage you to try vintage amps before you dropped your hard earned cash on a expensive Headphone amp.My PIONEER SX-3700 is driving all my Headphones very well that i'am thinking of getting rid off all my tube HP amps.

Dec 5, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #9,127 of 9,603
  Yes it can be harsh at times but depends on a amp it's plug in to and  it's not too much for me.With my Pioneer SX-3700 i can turn the volume up and it's not fatiguing at all.

Nice, i had the kenwood KA405 that made me sold my lovely cube ,then i got the onkyo A925 which gave the 701 more "modern" sound (less tuby, less bass, more balanced sound, but still very musical and detailed) and the Onkyo also fixed my treble problem... 

^^^
I encourage you to try vintage amps before you dropped your hard earned cash on a expensive Headphone amp.My PIONEER SX-3700 is driving all my Headphones very well that i'am thinking of getting rid off all my tube HP amps.

Yup, get a vintage amp, or more "modern" receiver ,its the best way to drive the Q701, wont trade my Onkyo to drive my 701 even for Leben or the audio GD master 9! (which i tried both with my 701)

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #9,128 of 9,603

Nice, i had the kenwood KA405 that made me sold my lovely cube ,then i got the onkyo A925 which gave the 701 more "modern" sound (less tuby, less bass, more balanced sound, but still very musical and detailed) and the Onkyo also fixed my treble problem... 

^^^

Yup, get a vintage amp, or more "modern" receiver ,its the best way to drive the Q701, wont trade my Onkyo to drive my 701 even for Leben or the audio GD master 9! (which i tried both with my 701)

My SX-3700 driving all my Headphones and so far I'am loving it.

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #9,129 of 9,603
I received my Q-701 about a week ago. They're my only working set of "good" headphones at the moment, so I've been listening to them quite a bit. Love them so far. Reminds me of when I first got my Grado 125.

I listen to music directly from my turntable mixer (Pioneer DMJ-707) or recording interface (Digi Design 002 Rack), so I probably haven't heard the best of these. I'll be checking the thread for listening set ups.

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #9,130 of 9,603
hey guys new here and just picked these up off amazon for 180 ish with tax with prime they'll be here tomorrow super excited coming from astros

i also picked up a amp, the Magni 2 i think its called, i also have a astro mixamp so i guess i dont need a dac
is the magni 2 any good

ive done some research on both of these and pretty excited since im new to headphones altogether

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #9,131 of 9,603
Hello my fellow AKG friends. I am looking to buy a pair of stock K702/Q701 angled pads (check my classified). If anyone, here, happens to have a pair they want to sell (assuming you switched to a different set of pads) please contact me. Thanks! 
k701smile.gif

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #9,132 of 9,603
  hey guys new here and just picked these up off amazon for 180 ish with tax with prime they'll be here tomorrow super excited coming from astros

i also picked up a amp, the Magni 2 i think its called, i also have a astro mixamp so i guess i dont need a dac
is the magni 2 any good

ive done some research on both of these and pretty excited since im new to headphones altogether

I have the Magni2/Modi2 stack for use with my Q's, and it sounds fantastic, way better than the standard output from my computer. As for a comparison towards the mixamp, I really can't say, but the Magni does require the inputs to be RCA left and right, as well as having an analog signal, so it may not even be possible to use it with the mixamp.

Let me know how they compare, since I have a gaming buddy who uses A-40s and is looking to get into the high end audio scene.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #9,133 of 9,603

is the magni 2 any good

Get one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882196069&cm_re=3.5mm_to_RCA-_-82-196-069-_-Product

3.5mm goes into your MixAmp, RCA goes into the Magni. Then fiddle with the volume knobs on both until 50% on the Magni is just a little below your comfortable listening level. Tape the MixAmp knob so it doesn't move and do all of your volume adjustments on the Magni. Or you could do it the opposite way and use the MixAmp volume knob, but I'd personally do the volume with the Magni. You'll get much better performance if you upgrade to a DAC or a USB soundcard that does line-out, but this will give your Q701s enough juice to perform well in the meantime.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #9,134 of 9,603
Hi,

I was researching about AKG K712, K7xx, Annies & Q701 differences and I found this thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/752994/my-akg-comparison-k7xx-k712-65th-annies-and-the-rest-to-stop-this-confusion)
Is it true that "Q701 + K712 Pads = 65th Annie = K7XX"?

Thanks in advance

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #9,135 of 9,603
Hello,
i am a newbie here, but some experience in audiophilia eheh
I just bought a pair of wonderful Q701.
I've tried a lot of amp combination and actually i think that those sound really good only with amps that have a really low output impedance (Topping nx1 is incredible believe me..).
now i need some suggestion for a desktop amp with this feature.
Can you help me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back