Q701 impressions thread
Dec 15, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #9,136 of 9,603
  Hello,
i am a newbie here, but some experience in audiophilia eheh
I just bought a pair of wonderful Q701.
I've tried a lot of amp combination and actually i think that those sound really good only with amps that have a really low output impedance (Topping nx1 is incredible believe me..).
now i need some suggestion for a desktop amp with this feature.
Can you help me?

Are you asking for an amp that are efficient at powering the AKG Q701's?
There's quite a few amplifiers that have minimum requirements for the AKG Q701. That being 200mW@63Ω.
The Topping NX1 seems to only provide 100mW@32Ω

Dec 15, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #9,137 of 9,603
  Hello,
I've tried a lot of amp combination and actually i think that those sound really good only with amps that have a really low output impedance (Topping nx1 is incredible believe me..).
Can you help me?

Budget?

Dec 15, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #9,139 of 9,603
Hello,
Can you help me?

Probably the most popular pairing for the Q701 is either the JDS Labs 02/odac combo or the schiit magni2/modi2 combo

Dec 15, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #9,140 of 9,603
I've had my Q701's for a while now. I bought them used. For what I paid, hard to beat.
This pair wasn't used very much, but belonged to a smoker, so a teardown
and cleaning was in order. They smell much better now!
I mostly use speakers anymore, but I recently did a head to head with my other
headphones. With an ASL MG-head using a 5751 tube in the middle, just about every heaphone
sounded good. But the Q701 really stood out. I sold my Hd-650's, so I re-terminated my old
Cardas smurf cable for AKG. The combo sounds very good together.
The cable is a 20' so it works well for my setup.
Cardas may be overkill, but I already had it (3rd owner). I'm sure there are a lot of cheaper cables
that could improve on the stock cable. And I really didn't pay much for it when I bought it
a decade ago.

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #9,141 of 9,603
  Hello,
Can you help me?

Check the Matrix M-stage. Pairs really well with the Qs.

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #9,142 of 9,603
Wel..the Topping while sounding very good gives not much headroom ..that's why I am searching for an amp (budget max 200 eur)
I tried the headphones out of my Naka amp..and..the power is there ..but way too harsh..
Do you know guys if this can tolerates the standard 120 ohm output impedance coming from integrated amplifiers ?
I don't think so..

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #9,144 of 9,603
Hi guys, 

I just bought a Q701 on sale at 100€ today. I was wondering if my amplifier HK620 (Harman Kardon) will do the job or not? Do I really need a headphones amp?

Should I check something about the jack output of the amplifier before I plug the headphones or there are no risk of damaging the headphone?

According to my research it's not necessary but I want to make sure, I'm afraid to break the headphones!

PS: I also have an amplifier Pioneer SA620 maybe it would be better ?
PPS: Is the HTC One output powerful enough to drive the Q701?

Thx by advance!

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #9,145 of 9,603
Hi,
According to my recent test's I think it will probably sound better with HTC than the phones out of the integrated , even the lack of gain that you could have. This is because Q701 seem to really to not like high output impedances of the amps..

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #9,148 of 9,603
I had also strange distortion /clipping issues at high volumes with Q701 driven by integrated amps..mah

That's surely amp dependent.
I had no problems using Yamaha A-S500 to drive K702.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #9,150 of 9,603
Oh really? Maybe I should cancel my order then...

I was thinking about using the headphones with HK620 + Raspberry 2 + Hifiberry DAC+...

I should have take the K545 then...

Beyerdynamic DT880 (250 Ohm) works very well with integrated amplifiers and receivers. 
The 600 Ohm version should work too, but it's harder to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back