Q701 impressions thread
Apr 24, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #8,791 of 9,602
Upgrading cans at that point would be the better investment, or a DAC.

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #8,793 of 9,602
  For some reason that didn't cross my mind lol how much better would you say the Vali is with a DAC?

IMHO, the Modi is what I'd consider a bare minimum DAC.  It's better than what's probably in your computer or iPad, but that's about it.  Any DAC in that price range will give you acceptable performance that's pretty much indistinguishable from the others in that range.

tl;dr - It really depends on how good your current source is.  The Modi isn't great (in the grand scheme of things) so you'd have to have a bad source to notice much difference.

Apr 25, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #8,795 of 9,602
  Hi Guys,

Been a while since I made a post. Last time I was looking for an amp. Glad to report I've just received my Little Dot MK3 to pair with my AKG Q701. I couldn't be more happy! Thanks for all the recommendations back then though.

I just wish there were more hours in a night so that I can listen through my entire library in one go.

It's like I've rediscovered my Q's. Can't get enough of them now. Amp makes such a nice difference. Even the slight discomfort I used to feel with regards to the bumps on the headband... It's now gone. It's so comfortable now. :) or maybe it's just because I want to listen to them more...

I've had the amp on the 3 gain setting, but it is now at a 5 gain setting. I really like it.Haven't tried the other settings yet.

Bass has improved, Detail has come through my songs. Listening on the Asus U7 before, I now hear the difference coming through. Asus did not have enough power. I still use the Asus U7 as my DAC though.

Anyways, this is me just reporting back.

If you need an amp just for the Q701 the Littledot 1+ sound way better than the MK III with the Q701,at least to my ears.

Apr 25, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #8,796 of 9,602
Or if there is another amp that would serve as a better upgrade for Q from C5 other than Vali? Without going as far as Chord Hugo's price point.

Try the Matrix M Stage headphone amp.

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #8,797 of 9,602
Try the Matrix M Stage headphone amp.

+1, that's my favourite with the Q's from those I've tried so far (that includes the original Magni, Cayin C5 and LD I+).

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #8,800 of 9,602
I like my Q701. It's a fantastic tool for mixing or mastering.

Some days ago i exchanged the good stock cable with the
OYAIDE HPC-X62. The question is not why you should change the cable,
it's when you change it.

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #8,801 of 9,602
The Matrix looks really nice! How does it improve the Q compared to C5 and does it need a DAC?

To my ears the Matrix offers a darker background, more weight and an overall "calmer" sound if that makes sense. The C5 is also great (especially considering it's a portable solution) but the Matrix is even better (for me).

Whether you need a DAC or not is really up to you but yes I prefer it paired with a DAC. I'd guess it also depends on your source....

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #8,802 of 9,602
To my ears the Matrix offers a darker background, more weight and an overall "calmer" sound if that makes sense. The C5 is also great (especially considering it's a portable solution) but the Matrix is even better (for me).

Whether you need a DAC or not is really up to you but yes I prefer it paired with a DAC. I'd guess it also depends on your source....
I see what your getting at. My source is an IPod Classic. Would I need a source upgrade to do the Matrix justice?

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #8,803 of 9,602
I see what your getting at. My source is an IPod Classic. Would I need a source upgrade to do the Matrix justice?

Sorry, I've never heard the iPod classic so I can't comment on how good its DAC is. Maybe someone else with experience from it can help?

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #8,805 of 9,602

Users who are viewing this thread

Back