Q701 impressions thread
Apr 18, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #8,777 of 9,602
  mp4nation say that they'll fit. I'll email the support to check.

They would.  They want to sell them 
wink.gif
  The Q701s and other AKGs use a bayonet style locking mechanism to keep the pads on the cups.  Unless you can replicate that, you'll have to use tape or something to get them to stay in place.

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #8,778 of 9,602
yeah, but it's not like you'd keep them after finding out that they don't fit. You'd return it and mp4nation wouldn't make a sale anyway. But based on your argument, I'd have to agree that in all likelihood they won't fit the Q701. Have you seen the mounting brackets on the HM5? are they indeed different? 

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #8,779 of 9,602
  yeah, but it's not like you'd keep them after finding out that they don't fit. You'd return it and mp4nation wouldn't make a sale anyway. But based on your argument, I'd have to agree that in all likelihood they won't fit the Q701. Have you seen the mounting brackets on the HM5? are they indeed different? 

The HM5 pads have no brackets, just a lip of vinyl designed to stretch and fit over something already on the cups.  For example, they fit my AKG K550s just fine, as the stock pads use a similar method.  They ruined the sound, but it was worth trying, as it was a simple procedure.  The HM5 pads can also be used on most HiFiMAN cans, as they can be stretched over the detachable mounting rings.

Since the mounting rings on the Q701s, et al., are an integral part of the pads, they are not removable or reusable, at least not without destroying the pads.  I've cannibalized an old pair of Q701 pads to make some DIY pads, I have those mounting rings, and I still can't see a way to use them reliably with the HM5 pads.  My suspicion is that those pads would do to the Q701's sound what they did to the K550's sound.  Thus, not really worth the effort.

YMMV, of course.

Apr 23, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #8,780 of 9,602
Greetings everyone.

This is my first post.

I just want you to know Digitec in Switzerland have those babies for CHF 172.00. Here is the link:
https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/akg-q-701-quincy-stereo-over-ear-kopfhoerer-schwarz-over-ear-black-headphones-headsets-373371
Shipping is free on Switzerland as well.
If some neighbor wants help to acquire this, feel free to PM me. I can buy it and send it to you, or you can pick it up here (I live 10km from Baden, 33Km from Zurich), or pick it up with me in Waldshut (Germany), as I go there to shop groceries like twice a month.

I don't know if this is the best place to post this kind of information... If you think this post should be somewhere else, please let me know.

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #8,781 of 9,602
Great info, and welcome to the forum!

Apr 24, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #8,782 of 9,602
Hi Guys,

Been a while since I made a post. Last time I was looking for an amp. Glad to report I've just received my Little Dot MK3 to pair with my AKG Q701. I couldn't be more happy! Thanks for all the recommendations back then though.

I just wish there were more hours in a night so that I can listen through my entire library in one go.

It's like I've rediscovered my Q's. Can't get enough of them now. Amp makes such a nice difference. Even the slight discomfort I used to feel with regards to the bumps on the headband... It's now gone. It's so comfortable now. :) or maybe it's just because I want to listen to them more...

I've had the amp on the 3 gain setting, but it is now at a 5 gain setting. I really like it.Haven't tried the other settings yet.

Bass has improved, Detail has come through my songs. Listening on the Asus U7 before, I now hear the difference coming through. Asus did not have enough power. I still use the Asus U7 as my DAC though.

Anyways, this is me just reporting back.

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #8,784 of 9,602
I think that would be a great combo. You can always add a DAC later.

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #8,785 of 9,602
I agree, the iPod will be good for a Vali and a Q.
iPods really don't sound that bad, despite their reputation.
Biggest problem with iPods is they don't have enough grunt to drive a pair of Q's properly.
You can plug Qs into an iPod or an iPad and get enough volume and decent sound, but Qs really need a good headphone amp to really shine.
It doesn't stop me from plugging my Q's into iPad when I don't want to drag around a headphone amp. :D

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #8,787 of 9,602
I'm also trying to get as much feedback as I can on how Q pairs with Cayin C5 since I already have that amp. From what I've heard it's pretty good but not quite up there with the Vali.. and of course the Ipod Classic will be the source.

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #8,788 of 9,602
The C5 I think has more power, though probably isn't as smooth as a hybrid. Why not try that first, before buying another amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back