Q701 impressions thread
Nov 5, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #8,101 of 9,602
Using a Galaxy S3 to drive my Q701, there is a significant lack of bass quantity. But I do get plenty of volume if I turn it up halfway.
Adding my Fiio E6 to the mix actually gives me more bass! And it allows the Q701 to sound "fine." Bass is okay, soundstage is..there.

However, it's totally different with my Sansa Fuze. Whether or not I use my E6 with it, it sounds strident and unfocused.
Finally, powered by my receiver, it's a different case. I only have to turn the volume up to about 9:00, and everything's great.
This shows that the Q701 can be a little bit picky. It just needs enough current(among other things,) then it's happy.

Say, nice Massive Attack reference in your siggy there, Evshrug! What do you think of how Massive Attack sounds with the Q701? I need to listen to 'em with mine!

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #8,102 of 9,602
Thank you for the comment, I can't quite respond I'm on a work break. (Edit: Massive Attack... Not as heart-chest pounding as with a big and overamped subwoofer in a car (it's on your ears anyway), but it's very tight, and the bass on the Q701 reaches low enough that you can hear different levels of sub-bass as the come in on "Angel," but more than that the texture and detail in all the notes is great and raw. Bass and treble improve with a nice desktop solid-state amp, though I use a S.E.T. tube amp which provides that too. I can actually understand the lyrics in all the songs!).

I do want to make a quick note though: I was playing destiny last night and the fax for teleporting in. When the storm clouds appeared for the teleportation, the queue 701 bass was... real. I just sounded amazing and realistic to me and varies very strong with my tube amp! I think with any good if you should have a really great experience at the bass, in my particular case the headphones have burned in with a couple years and the pads have also probably changed so the bass is quite strong… Stronger than my k 712 to be honest!

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #8,103 of 9,602
Dirty little secret (don't tell the others here)... I plugged them directly into  my ipod, with no amp.  They sounded GREAT!!!!  I could be happy as is, but I'd have to turn over all my audiophile headphones to the head-fi.org Board of Directors for this heresy.  The only problem was that while they reached moderate volume (my normal listening level) with the iPod volume on full, they did not become loud.

However, MY Q701s are Green.  Wonder if THAT makes a difference?!

LOL!
:D
I often plug my Q701 into my iPod or my iPad!
They sound great to me!
Especially thru the iPad, it's an iPad Air, if that makes any difference.
But I do prefer the Qs via my X5.

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #8,105 of 9,602
For me, any music source > Q701 > ears = too bright!

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #8,108 of 9,602
Nov 7, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #8,109 of 9,602
With my setup (Audio-gd NFB-1 & Schiit Lyr 2) I don't find it that bright. I read that the Yulong D200 tames the brightness a little bit.

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #8,111 of 9,602
I am currently pairing the Q701 and Audio GD NFB 15. 

I have recently purchased the AKG K712 pro, and was wondering whether it would be better to pair these with the Audio GD NFB 15 or  Audio GB NFB 11? I don't currently own the NFB 11 and still waiting for the K712s to arrive, and was looking for some advice regarding which of these amps would be best, and whether the NFB 11 was worth buying?

The Q701 with the NFB 15 – in comparison to the NFB 11 – is said to be a good combination, because the NFB 15 deals with the Q701 "shrillness" some claim to experience and dislike in the top end. Compared to the colder more analytical NFB 11, the warmness of the NFB 15 is said to balance out the somewhat dry, analytical Q701 sound; hence the NFB 15 is said to offer body to the Q701s, which also benefits their bass lightness. 

However, for the K712 pros, I was wondering if the NFB 11 might actually be the better of the two DAC/AMPS to pair it with? The K712s have a warmer and darker sound than the Q701s, therefore the more analytical NFB 11 (with no filtering its upper frequencies) presumably would be better for them?

Since the K712s are known to have a more intimate sound stage than the Q701s, I also presume that the more analytical NFB 11 sound is going to help with sound separation?

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #8,113 of 9,602
so whats the go to for an amp and dac with these on a budget? I finally have some money that i can spend, already have the q701s

i checked massdrop, but i take it this isnt very good https://www.massdrop.com/buy/xduoo-ta-01-dac-amp

(xDuoo TA-01 DAC/Amp if you cannot access it)

Also theres a aune t1 on craigslist but i dont remember how they pair together.

for desktop use entirely unless the amp happens to be portable, then maybe occasional mobile use.

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #8,114 of 9,602
  so whats the go to for an amp and dac with these on a budget? I finally have some money that i can spend, already have the q701s

i checked massdrop, but i take it this isnt very good https://www.massdrop.com/buy/xduoo-ta-01-dac-amp

for desktop use entirely unless the amp happens to be portable, then maybe occasional mobile use.

As far as a budget amp goes, many people recommend the Schiit Vali.
As for DAC, explain what you're going to use the headphones for  (gaming, music listening, music production, etc.)

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #8,115 of 9,602

There is a dedicated thread, where you may find additional suggestions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/598004/amping-for-akg-q701/450#post_11020701.  By the way, I am listening to Inti Illimani using the Q701 and an Audioquest Dragonfly, as I type this.  It sounds good, but many have commented that the Dragonfly are not really a very good option for the Q701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back