Q701 impressions thread
Jan 25, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #5,356 of 9,602
Modded mine earlier, and yeah i heard a difference in the bass straight away
basshead.gif
, i cant prove there's a difference because my test was an epic failure,complete with a wet camera and water everywhere haha. but the test does work, without the mod you cant see any ripples afterwards there's very slight ones.

I'm used to my speaker's vibrating everything, so i was picturing a Jurassic Park effect with headphones on a bottle lol.

Thank's to whoever found this Mod, going to do some listening to see if i want to keep it like this.

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #5,357 of 9,602
I have had a pair of Q701s for some time, and have found that they suffer from a treble glare which was off-putting when put under pressure - i.e. when they tried to deal with the louder passages in orchestral music. Sometimes the precision of the cans seemed to fall apart in those circumstances and I never felt that they were particularly good at rendering timbre. Recently, I upgraded the mains cable to my Oppo 103 (http://bit.ly/1dZsKSL) and the biggest beneficiary was, undoubtedly, the Q701s. They don't 'lose it' at times any more, and their musicality is released although they obviously remain 'bright' in character. This may be a UK-specific experience, or not? I don't know. Anyway, it was my experience, FWIW. I am grateful, as the Q701s have qualities that I haven't found elsewhere (although a pair of HD800s is coming).

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #5,358 of 9,602
  I have had a pair of Q701s for some time, and have found that they suffer from a treble glare which was off-putting when put under pressure - i.e. when they tried to deal with the louder passages in orchestral music. Sometimes the precision of the cans seemed to fall apart in those circumstances and I never felt that they were particularly good at rendering timbre. Recently, I upgraded the mains cable to my Oppo 103 (http://bit.ly/1dZsKSL) and the biggest beneficiary was, undoubtedly, the Q701s. They don't 'lose it' at times any more, and their musicality is released although they obviously remain 'bright' in character. This may be a UK-specific experience, or not? I don't know. Anyway, it was my experience, FWIW. I am grateful, as the Q701s have qualities that I haven't found elsewhere (although a pair of HD800s is coming).

HD800 are the shiz, to me they sound like a roid-raged Q that can also do ballet lol.

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #5,359 of 9,602

Paying attention to a clean power supply in general can make a big difference for sound quality, depending on the particular equipment being used, be it headphone or main system. It's a big topic in itself though.

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #5,360 of 9,602
  Paying attention to a clean power supply in general can make a big difference for sound quality, depending on the particular equipment being used, be it headphone or main system. It's a big topic in itself though.

Sorry, darrenyeats, you're quite right, of course. However, for me, the change made the Q701s improve dramatically, and, although any complication is unwelcome, that is relevant to the thread, I think... The bad news is that I am now looking at the other systems, wondering if the cost of putting excellent mains cables everywhere is worth it! Oy.

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #5,361 of 9,602
The Mod is staying
wink_face.gif

I couldn't figure out why they wouldn't of just made them like this, i have found them picking up my cell phones static sometimes though, didn't hear them do that before. Maybe that's the reason for the tape?

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #5,363 of 9,602
Which DAC you guys think would pair nicely with LD 1+/LD MK III and Q701(modded) my budget is $250.Thanks!

I get great results from an iBasso D12.
It's a definite step upwards from the FiiO DACs, for example.
You can actually use the D12 to drive Q701 (it has a headphone jack on it).
It has Toslink, RCA and USB digital inputs.

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #5,364 of 9,602
I get great results from an iBasso D12.
It's a definite step upwards from the FiiO DACs, for example.
You can actually use the D12 to drive Q701 (it has a headphone jack on it).
It has Toslink, RCA and USB digital inputs.

I prefered stand alone DAC not a AMP/DAC Combo i should have include this thoughts  in my first post.THANKS! Oh yeah no FIIO no offence.

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #5,365 of 9,602
I prefered stand alone DAC not a AMP/DAC Combo i should have include this thoughts  in my first post.THANKS! Oh yeah no FIIO no offence.

first thing that came into my mind is schiit products

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #5,367 of 9,602
  The Mod is staying
wink_face.gif

I couldn't figure out why they wouldn't of just made them like this, i have found them picking up my cell phones static sometimes though, didn't hear them do that before. Maybe that's the reason for the tape?

The tape shrinks the soundstaging and mids no?

I removed the tape three times (before I upgraded from an E12 to ODAC combo) so I really don't want to try it again that will presumably test the lifespan of this tape.

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #5,368 of 9,602
  The tape shrinks the soundstaging and mids no?

I removed the tape three times (before I upgraded from an E12 to ODAC combo) so I really don't want to try it again that will presumably test the lifespan of this tape.

Not for me, i can't hear any cons with the Mod, on my setup atleast.
Someone mentioned that you can use other tape, so i wouldn't worry about keeping the stock tape. How did you manage to keep the stock tape intact? lol mine ripped up easily.

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #5,369 of 9,602
  Not for me, i can't hear any cons with the Mod, on my setup atleast.
Someone mentioned that you can use other tape, so i wouldn't worry about keeping the stock tape. How did you manage to keep the stock tape intact? lol mine ripped up easily.

Blue Painter's Tape FTW (yeah, I keep 
deadhorse.gif
 about that :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back