Q701 impressions thread
Jan 22, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #5,341 of 9,602
I'm looking at an O2 for a set of Q701, which two of the three possible gain levels (1x, 2.5x, and 6.5x) is most recommended?  Is 6.5x gain needed or sound better with the O2 and Q701?  My source will be plugged in, not portable (probably around 1.6V max).

Thanks!

2.5x should be enough.

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #5,342 of 9,602
if your O2 is paired with an ODAC (2.0 Vms output line), i highly recommend 1.0x gain level in order to avoid the unbalanced zone of the O2's volume knob.
the 2.5x to 1.0x mod takes 10 minutes max.

2.5x is for for high impedance with low sensitivity HPs that need both current and tension.
6.5x is almost useless, and comes with higher distortion

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #5,344 of 9,602
Thank you, I'll be using the O2 as a desktop amp on AC power - not batteries.  My source will be desktop as well, not battery powered.  I'll opt for the 1x and 2.5x gain option on the O2 paired with the Q701.  I don't see where 6.5x gain on the O2 comes in handy very often, seems like the 1x would be more useful.

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #5,346 of 9,602
Just wanted to throw this out there for anyone looking to tweak the sound of their Q701s.  I've been messing about with alternatives for the foam rings that sit on the driver housing, behind the fabric screen on the pads.  My goal was to attenuate the sometimes harsh highs (esp. in rock) without giving up too much soundstage or details.  I tried different foam, thicker foam, cheapo synthetic felt from Walmart, and combinations thereof.  At this point the one that's working is the felt with holes poked in it.  Basically I went around the outside of the ring, then in the middle, and finally close to the hole.  Spacing is tighter on the outer circle of holes.  They're not wide open, as the felt tends to close up, but if you hold the ring up to a light, you can see them.

The effects are a slightly less airy soundstage, but no real sacrifice of imaging.  I listened hard for details between stock stock and felt, and heard everything fine with the felt.  Bass impact might be improved a bit, which might be the result of the slightly reduced soundstage.

It's so easy to swap those rings that it makes it a fun and easy mod with which to experiment.

Jan 24, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #5,347 of 9,602
I'm going to Mod my Q's on Monday.

I've listened to them a ton the last week, is a week and a bit of break-in enough to get the most out of them? I'm pretty sure the sounstage got a bit larger, but it could all be in my head.

About the Mod, all i have to do is remove the cover with the Q on it and pull off the circle stickers,correct? I'm hesitant doing it as i love the way they sound already, as i mentioned i tried a lot of headphones and amp's recently and these are damn near perfect for what i want (the HD800's ruined the perfect part
angry_face.gif
). But the Mod is completely reversible right? assuming i keep the stickers intact. 

Thank's guy's.

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #5,348 of 9,602

I've listened to them a ton the last week, is a week and a bit of break-in enough to get the most out of them? I'm pretty sure the sounstage got a bit larger, but it could all be in my head.

About the Mod, all i have to do is remove the cover with the Q on it and pull off the circle stickers,correct? I'm hesitant doing it as i love the way they sound already, as i mentioned i tried a lot of headphones and amp's recently and these are damn near perfect for what i want (the HD800's ruined the perfect part
angry_face.gif
). But the Mod is completely reversible right? assuming i keep the stickers intact. 

Thank's guy's.

I'm looking forward to this. Just got mine too last week (China lime green).

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #5,349 of 9,602

angry_face.gif

Thank's guy's.

Yeah, if you can see and access the sticker after removing the grill, then go for it.  I unscrewed the plastic pieces under the grills, which gives a little better access.  Care should be taken on the LEFT side when doing this, as that piece has wires soldered to the cups.  It would be a PITA if you accidentally disconnected them.  That said, I felt pretty confident removing said piece.

You can use plain old tape to replace the stickers, if they get a bit beat up while removing them.

Good luck.

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #5,350 of 9,602

I'm looking forward to this. Just got mine too last week (China lime green).

Yeah, if you can see and access the sticker after removing the grill, then go for it.  I unscrewed the plastic pieces under the grills, which gives a little better access.  Care should be taken on the LEFT side when doing this, as that piece has wires soldered to the cups.  It would be a PITA if you accidentally disconnected them.  That said, I felt pretty confident removing said piece.

You can use plain old tape to replace the stickers, if they get a bit beat up while removing them.

Good luck.

I'll post back soon, might even do it tomorrow if i have time.

Before i Mod them I'm gong to put the Headphones on a coke bottle with water and film the ripples and then i'll do the same after the Mod, sounds stupid but it might show a differance we can see lol 
basshead.gif

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #5,351 of 9,602

Before i Mod them I'm gong to put the Headphones on a coke bottle with water and film the ripples and then i'll do the same after the Mod, sounds stupid but it might show a differance we can see lol 
basshead.gif

That sounds fun.  I look forward to your video.

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #5,353 of 9,602
  What's the cheapest amp that could drive these, preferably sold on Amazon? I'm considering upgrading from my AD700's, but my budget is tight.

I'd say Magni or Vali (never tried the Vali, but numerous people said it's a pretty good pairing with almost anything). The Magni is a pretty good amp as well for the Q701.

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #5,354 of 9,602

basshead.gif

Why not leave the coke in, then you can count the bubbles too
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back