Q701 impressions thread
Jan 18, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #5,311 of 9,602
Jan 18, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #5,313 of 9,602
  Yeah, I might go ahead and try that.

So I just tried these with my Schiit Valhalla and Bifrost combo. Holy crap, what a difference from my Sennheiser HD 650. It's like there was a veil lifted.

Now that is quite surprising, I was under the impression that Q701 hated OTL amps. I tried plugging them to my WA3. Didn't like it.

Jan 19, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #5,314 of 9,602
Now that is quite surprising, I was under the impression that Q701 hated OTL amps. I tried plugging them to my WA3. Didn't like it.

I've used my Qs with an OTL amp, the La Figaro 336C, it doesn't sound too bad al all.
I could easily live with it.
It's fine for more acoustic based music.
But, overall, I really don't prefer it over a Matrix M Stage amp.

(BTW, I bought the 336C for my 600 Ohm Beyers)

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #5,315 of 9,602
Anybody own a HD558/598 and Q701 and can compare the two? 

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #5,316 of 9,602
Modded Q701 + jazz = awesomeness! 

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #5,317 of 9,602
  Modded Q701 + jazz = awesomeness! 

I would simplify the statement:

Modded Q701 = awesomeness! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #5,318 of 9,602
Yea, of course, but these are amazing with a good jazz recording.

Quote:

I would simplify the statement:

Modded Q701 = awesomeness! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #5,319 of 9,602
Yea, of course, but these are amazing with a good jazz recording.

I don't listen to Jazz much but sometimes I do when I want to relax. Could you give me some advice on good Jazz recordings? I use Spotify mainly to explore and then I go ahead and get on flac what I think is worth it.

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #5,320 of 9,602

I don't listen to Jazz much but sometimes I do when I want to relax. Could you give me some advice on good Jazz recordings? I use Spotify mainly to explore and then I go ahead and get on flac what I think is worth it.

What type of Jazz are you thinking about?
A lot of the classic stuff was recorded between 1950 and 1969.
Instrumental Jazz?
Jazz Vocalists?
Small combos?
Big bands?

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #5,321 of 9,602
I'm kind of new to jazz myself. There is an endless amount of great jazz out there. I've been buying up used jazz CD's at an alarming rate. 

Anyway, right now I am listening to this one:

It is pretty damn good in terms of the music itself, the playing, and the recording quality is great as well. Dave Brubeck is not exactly the most relaxing, it has some odd time signatures, but it's not overly complicated either. It's a good mix of exciting and relaxing.  

I started this thread about a month and a half ago being a total jazz newb and have come a long way already. I'm still a newb though. There has been lots of good suggestions in this thread, so maybe start there if you really want to try to get into it. Spotify is a great way to try before you buy, I use MOG to do the same.

Quote:

Jan 19, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #5,322 of 9,602
I'm kind of new to jazz myself. There is an endless amount of great jazz out there. I've been buying up used jazz CD's at an alarming rate. 

Anyway, right now I am listening to this one:

It is pretty damn good in terms of the music itself, the playing, and the recording quality is great as well. Dave Brubeck is not exactly the most relaxing, it has some odd time signatures, but it's not overly complicated either. It's a good mix of exciting and relaxing. 

Nice, I'll try it, thank you!

What type of Jazz are you thinking about?
A lot of the classic stuff was recorded between 1950 and 1969.
Instrumental Jazz?
Jazz Vocalists?
Small combos?
Big bands?

I listen to ANY thing. I just like to be surprised. That's why I use to listen to radios a lot and stuff that I don't know. That's why I like spotify, I am constantly surprised with stuff I don't know, but the Jazz station is ridiculously bad.

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #5,323 of 9,602
Patricia Barber offers some amazing female vocal Jazz, someone introduced me to her and started my Jazz journey a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back