Q701 impressions thread
Feb 19, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #466 of 9,603

Quote:
I couldn't really understand how having more power could make something sound better. Need to look into this more.

Neither can I, neither can I!
confused_face_2.gif

I think the whole "more power" things is either the higher powered amps are also much sounding better amps as well or it is all placebo, i.e. you want to justify spending all that extra dough on that cool looking big amp.
Now, I've never tried it myself so YMMV. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #468 of 9,603
Day 3 Impression. After constantly burning in the headphone for 3 days, I find the bass has opened up more. Let's hope there's still more bass to be had!

And yes, amp is required for the Q701 imo. If you do not have an amp, then forget about the Q701. I made the mistake of trying it with the iPhone the first time and writing it off. Then made another mistake of trying it with a subpar DAC/AMP like the udac2. With proper amp and DAC, this thing really comes alive.

I am already tempted to get some custom cabling. How is the CARDAS one from HeadRoom?

dL

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #469 of 9,603
Well after just one day I have had to do as others have and took a knife to the headband.  I have a large head and it did indeed feel like a torture device like someone mentioned.  After a few hours yesterday the top of my head was really sore and there was a definite bump between where the pads had been pushing down.

After doing this it still was not great, but on the other hand my head was feeling a bit sensitive after the bumps had done their work.  I then dug out an old memory foam mattress topper I had in the loft and cut a piece off the end and have attached the foam to the headband.

It now feels pretty good.  I am a little annoyed that it was not great out of the box, I never had an issue with the AD700, it was great from the get go.  Still, at least it is comfortable now, and the cups themselves are much better than the AD700.  If anything I think I will need to make the foam thinner as I have a large head and it is still causing quite a bit of pressure.  As it stands the band is streched all the way to the top.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #472 of 9,603

Quote:
The AKGs need SOME amping. Its thin without it.

I must agreed with you . I started with DA&T U2 amp with Q701 and doesn't impress on the sound , after I paired with Violectric V200. 
it is a total different experiences.  the sound just transformed too much and on the good direction .

I now listen to Q701 whenever I am at home . 
I also upgrade the stock cable and it opens out the soundstage and treble and bass more . very happy camper now . 
the stock cable sounded a depressed and compressed . everything is dark . strongly recommended to upgrade the cable. 

Cheers

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #474 of 9,603

Quote:
just wanted to know what it sounds like with 18gain setting.

Louder 
tongue.gif
  I don't think it sounds any better than 10dB gain - which is probably what your wondering. 

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #476 of 9,603

Quote:
I must agreed with you . I started with DA&T U2 amp with Q701 and doesn't impress on the sound , after I paired with Violectric V200. 
it is a total different experiences.  the sound just transformed too much and on the good direction .

I now listen to Q701 whenever I am at home . 
I also upgrade the stock cable and it opens out the soundstage and treble and bass more . very happy camper now . 
the stock cable sounded a depressed and compressed . everything is dark . strongly recommended to upgrade the cable. 

Cheers

I didn't like how the two copper cables I tried (one silver plated copper) seemed to make them less warm and a little thinner sounding.
Strangely enough I did feel that the bass was a little better (sub-bass) on the silver plated copper, but it didn't seem to add any bass quantity, which I don't want. Ok MAYBE a tiny bit more sub-bass, but highly unlikely.

The soundstage on the SXC was larger, but somehow I didn't like how it removes everything I love about the Q701. I would say the ALO SXC made the Q701 a bit more clear with more detail.
I'd say maybe 1% more clear. The only slightly difference in detail is most stuff in the background that you'd normally never hear. Don't ask me how, but the treble IMO with the ALO SXC was a little smoother.
You know that annoying sound when you die in Skyrim? It's slightly ear piercing with the Q701 stock on my amp, but not so with the ALO. Strange. Wonder what this means?

This is one of the very few cases where I prefer stock to any other cables. I would use the SXC if I was in a studio or something and wanted to analyze my music.

I loved it at first and it all comes down to preference. The different in sound clarity is very noticeable in Skyrim, but less so in music somehow.

I haven't tried any Cardas cable or $200 cable. No thanks. I totally believe in cables, but I doubt anything could be worth $200 worth of improvement. Most aftermarket cables have 75% of the prices going to labor too I imagine.
Best thing to do is have someone here make one or DIY. Then you'll save a ton. Making a good cable is time consuming. Probably can be done in under a half hour for someone with experience. I think it takes me about 1 1/2 hours
biggrin.gif

I still remember the time I accidentally tried to hold my soldering iron like a pen. Wasn't too fun.

What I want to do is try to get a Canare cable made for the Q701. It might be a good match. Should cost about $10 or less.

I don't know why all the Q701 cable upgrades taken away what I like about the Q701. Maybe 2% of the difference in the sound is due to a higher quality cable on the Q701 over the K702.
Need to do more testing with this. Even if they appear to be the same or are the same thickness, this doesn't mean much.

BTW if anyone wants to do a temporary loaner swap of an ALO SXC Q701 cable and a Cardas (inside the USA), let me know. I also have another that guitar-cable.com made me. Uses some Belden wire and has some similarities to the SXC.
Someday I want to try a fancy pants Cardas cable and hear it with my own ears. Maybe i'll think it's all worth it. You never know..
normal_smile%20.gif

For those that are curious. I think the stock Q701 cable is perfect. Sounds good to me and I don't think you're losing out on anything.

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #477 of 9,603
Q701 is pretty bad without an amp. The only time I'd use it without an amp is when listening to very simple ambient music.
The Q701 is not exactly easy to drive at all despite the OHM rating. On my amp it requires the same volume setting as my 300 ohm HD-580.
Yet, the Q701 sounds much worse without an amp. I listened to my HD-580 without an amp and straight from a Clip today and it sounded great!
No joke
normal_smile%20.gif

Back in the day it was practically unheard of to use the K701/K702 without an amp. I remember once asking what a good portable amp was for the K701 and people here just laughed at me!
It feels weird hearing about all these portable amps that can drive the Q701 so well.

Even sounds good out of my Airhead. Don't know how! It's soundstage is very small though with a portable amp and about as small as that of an HD-600.

Oh yeah..IMO the Q701 is MUCH more fatiguing without an amp. Not sure why, but this seems to be the case with my under-amped DJ100 too.
Definitely much thinner sounding as MLE pointed out. All depends on the source though. It might sound OK with a Zune HD or Ipod Touch. Not sure..

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #478 of 9,603

Quote:
has any1 here tried the 18 gain option on m Stage with the q701s?

I don't like the sound of the Matrix M Stage at 18 dB.
Oddly enough, it sounds a bit thinner.
I have settled on 10 dB with an LM4562

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #479 of 9,603
Post #701  The Q's are here to stay.. Everything else has been sold off or is in the process of being sold.  I have a Schiit Lyr incoming and if the pairing sounds as good as others have described, I'll be done for a while. (except maybe for some tube rolling)  More impressions to follow once it arrives. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back