Q701 impressions thread
Feb 20, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #481 of 9,602

Quote:
I remember liking the Valhalla better with the Q701.  But because I have future needs for the Lyr's power, that would be the one I get when I decide to go Schiit.

That's the beauty of tube rolling. If I don't like the stock tubes, out they'll come.  That option and the potential to power almost any can on the planet, made it a no brainer. I hope :) 

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #482 of 9,602
according to the specs on the box q/k70x max output is 200mw.
why do some people recommend audio gd nfb5 to power it up
and some say the m stage is doesn't drive the q/k70x hard enough.
i just want to heard more varied opinions on this.

another question.
how does the nuforce udac 2 compare to hrt music streamer 2 with matrix m stage and q/k70x setup?

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #483 of 9,602

Quote:
according to the specs on the box q/k70x max output is 200mw.
why do some people recommend audio gd nfb5 to power it up
and some say the m stage is doesn't drive the q/k70x hard enough.
i just want to heard more varied opinions on this.

another question.
how does the nuforce udac 2 compare to hrt music streamer 2 with matrix m stage and q/k70x setup?

My M-Stage could probably blow up my Q701s.  You will always see recommendations for more expensive amps, and gear in general - that's just how Head-Fi goes.  There's always something a bit expensive/better and you just have to drawn your own lines.  This is especially true with the AKG's as some people will say only the most expensive amps will drive them to their true potential.  Well, a better more expensive amp probably sounds better with them because... it's a better amp.  That doesn't mean they won't sound great with a sanely priced amp that performs well.  BTW, I'm not saying the NFB5 is too expensive, but you get my point.

I've read some weird reports on the uDac's measurments that made me stay away from them...

Feb 21, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #488 of 9,602

Quote:
What are the amp requirements for these phones?. Im considering them as my next upgrade but I have only a fiio e7, will it have enough power for the Q701? 

20 mW will drive them to insanely loud volumes.
Even an iPad will drive them to acceptable levels, but the iPad will not show you what great sounding 'phone it is.
Over 200 mW destroys them.

If you are looking at Solid State, look for an amp with very low output impedance, say 5 ohms or less.

Feb 21, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #489 of 9,602
What are the amp requirements for these phones?. Im considering them as my next upgrade but I have only a fiio e7, will it have enough power for the Q701? 

The E7 will drive the Q701, but the E7 is at its limits, with not much headroom. I'd say it struggles in comparison to the E9 and NFB5. It is still enjoyable, though I wouldn't settle for the E7 alone. The Qs deserve more.

As for more than 200mw detroying them... What? The E9 and NFB5 have well over 200mw into the Qs, and they do no such thing. Ridiculous.

As for output impedance, I find it to be completely blown out of proportion as to what it does to headphones.

The E9 has a 10ohm output impedance, the NFB5 has a 2 ohm output impedance. The Q701 still sounds 99% regardless of which I use, the difference between the NFB5 being smoother, and the E9 being a touch brighter. The difference is quite literally a small signature change, and nothing as ridiculous as audible distortion or whatnot. Nothing in the sound goes from bad to worse, regardless of which amp I use.

Hell, I used a 100ohm output impedance Beyer Headzone with my 25ohm D7000, and it didn't sound worlds different from my E7, just a touch more warmth and looser bass, but nothing to call foul play.

People focus waaaay too much on technical data and not what they can actually hear.

The E9 and Q701 is a great and affordable combo. I'm willing to bet the distortion from that mismatched impedance is on the realm of inaudible.

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #490 of 9,602

Quote:
As for more than 200mw detroying them... What? The E9 and NFB5 have well over 200mw into the Qs, and they do no such thing. Ridiculous.

Do anyone actually listen at such a high volume that you actually drive 200 mW per channel into a pair of Q701s? No, they don't.
I never said "Do not use an amp which exceeds 200 mW into a pair of Q701s".
 - The manufacturer states this on the box.
 - The web site states"Maximum input power: 200 mW".
An amp which outputs 500 mW or 2 Watts could potentially destroy a pair of Q701 but you would NOT listen that loud because you would destroy your hearing first. My point is, why would you need a higher powered amp for a pair of Q701s?

I have an amp with an output impedance of 120 ohms, the Q701 sounds like shyte plugged into that amp, too much bass, too loose. BTW it is an 80 Watt power amp @ 8 ohms, the headphones seemed to have survived.  Granted, the 120 ohm output impedance severely limits the amount of power delivered to the phones.

OTOH, I think the whole power thing is blown out of proportion, why would you need a high powered amp to drive a pair of Q701s?

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #491 of 9,602

Quote:

OTOH, I think the whole power thing is blown out of proportion, why would you need a high powered amp to drive a pair of Q701s?

Probably because people have other difficult to drive headphones and the Q701 just sounds better out of high powered amps. This has been my experience.
If we listened to all the technical "advice" here or the science guys, we'd be all listening to a K701 out of an E10 only or similar portable device.  Who wants to do that?
The Q701 out of portable amps doesn't sound that good (despite being "properly" driven. My Airhead can drive it with ease, but it's just not the same.

It seems nobody has figured out why the K702/K701 is so hard to drive. Same reason nobody can figure out why the K501 is one of the most difficult to drive headphones. I think the whole power requirements of the K501 are a bit overblown.
I think I once read that no SS amp can drive the K501 properly. What non-sense!

Now, I don't always believe you need amp overkill, but the Q701 almost always sounds better without messing with the sound signature. If I use high gain on my Q701 I only need to put the volume at 40% on my Micro Amp.
I could probably blow up my Q701 if I wanted to.

I haven't been a believer that plugging in my KRKs or other easy to drive headphones will automatically ruin it's sound signature on higher powered desktop amps. People on here lately seem to think this is always going to happen, but I never had this experience.

I do however think many portables sound awful out of the E9. I really do think it's best for the harder to drive headphones. My DJ100 sounds pretty bad from the E9. Very bloated bass etc.

BTW I cringe everytime I hear someone suggest you should not use the Q701 with a desktop amp, but instead use it with an amp with a 1ohm output such as an E5 or E7. Have they even tried this?! That doesn't work very well. IMO the E7 is basically like an E5 with a built in DAC.
Could barely drive my DT-770 Pro 80.

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #492 of 9,602

Quote:

I've read some weird reports on the uDac's measurments that made me stay away from them...

Think the Udac-2 is a bit different. I have the Nuforce Icon Mobile which I believe it's the same as the Udac. It's a nice amp for the money and doesn't sound as bad as it's measurements make it seem.
It seems best for headphones that are very bass heavy and with lots of treble. Quite impressive with the D2000 and M50. I don't find it very neutral at all though. Seems to have very slightly rolled off highs/lows and forward mids
biggrin.gif

It's amp section even seems less powerful than the E5, but includes a DAC. I actually prefer the Icon Mobile to the E7 by far. Hated the E7..yet it's supposed to be neutral, but I wasn't hearing it..

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #493 of 9,602

Quote:

IMO, they aren't as power hung as everyone makes them out to be. The iPhone will drive them pretty well to good volume, however, you won't be getting anywhere near their full potential. You'll need a full size amp and DAC for that.

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #495 of 9,602
Q701 is a great can for vocals and new ages musics. I owned one before and used it mainly for gaming. It sounds sweeter than his brother-K701, and I found this attribute extremely good for vocals. I was used to the sound of dt990 and when I first tried Q701, I found this can is crystal clear and has a way better image. Due to my crappy DAC my dt990 may not be driven to it's maximum potential but from my experience, Q701 will be a better  choice if you do not have enough $$ to get a super expensive set up. Q701 does scale pretty good: I tried Q701 in my friends system: PW P5-PWD-wa22, and this can sounds great. I could hardly tell if it's a $300 level headphone. For some aspects, it even sounds better than HD800,IMO. But I may be biased since I'm not a big fan of HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back