Q-Jays are back.
Nov 14, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #421 of 456
On a recent post in the Final Audio thread, someone commented they were able to get a replacement cable for the AKR02 which uses the same SSMCX connectors. Now, owning the AKR02, this is a nice SPC cable, so you may want to call iriver and see what the cost is.

Good luck, and thanks for reporting back.

I've sent a note to Final to see if they will sell a 2.5mm balanced cable (for the FI-BA-SST) directly to me. We'll see.
I'll look in the Final Audio thread to see what they have to say.

Thanks

Nov 14, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #422 of 456
I've sent a note to Final to see if they will sell a 2.5mm balanced cable (for the FI-BA-SST) directly to me. We'll see.
I'll look in the Final Audio thread to see what they have to say.

Thanks

I don’t believe the FI-BA-SST uses SSMCX or any other removable cables. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall reading the SST has fixed cables.

iriver is the parent company of Astell&Kern. The model I alluded to in my earlier post is a custom FI-BA-SS with removable cables. That’s why I suggested contacting iriver.

Nov 14, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #423 of 456
I don’t believe the FI-BA-SST uses SSMCX or any other removable cables. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall reading the SST has fixed cables.

iriver is the parent company of Astell&Kern. The model I alluded to in my earlier post is a custom FI-BA-SS with removable cables. That’s why I suggested contacting iriver.

Well... they seem to be removable as they come with both 3.5 and 2.5 (balanced) cables, but you are probably right about the connector. No images of them, and not sure why I assumed screw-type SSMCX (though the q-Jays screw-type seem to be proprietary).
I'll try iriver...

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #424 of 456

Well... they seem to be removable as they come with both 3.5 and 2.5 (balanced) cables, but you are probably right about the connector. No images of them, and not sure why I assumed screw-type SSMCX (though the q-Jays screw-type seem to be proprietary).
I'll try iriver...

Whoa. I was wrong on both counts. Apparently the 2.5 and 3.5 are for different models, they are NOT removable. Ugh...
OK. Never mind.

Nov 23, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #425 of 456
Jays Headphones has 50% off everything except outlet items with coupon code BLACK. I'm tempted by the q-Jays but have been following the FiiO F9/F9 Pro and feel like I'd get much better price-to-performance there.

Someone shared on the Deals thread. Really nice price w/ that... almost grabed the Anniversary edition as a 2nd set, but sanity prevailed.

This thread is difficult to find with the new site's search.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #426 of 456
Someone shared on the Deals thread. Really nice price w/ that... almost grabed the Anniversary edition as a 2nd set, but sanity prevailed.

This thread is difficult to find with the new site's search.
Which is why I didn't get around to posting the deal here. :beyersmile:

I've eyed these for quite a while but could never pull the trigger. Meanwhile, the FiiO F9s have two BAs and a dynamic in each driver, for under a hundred bucks. I'm probably going to get those instead but I love how the q-Jays look. Just wish they nestled up against the ear like the FiiOs do. Am I nuts for sticking with the FiiO over these? I figure I don't need to have the anniversary edition, even if it's better looking than the standard black. I'm a rock/metal guy.

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #427 of 456
Which is why I didn't get around to posting the deal here. :beyersmile:

I've eyed these for quite a while but could never pull the trigger. Meanwhile, the FiiO F9s have two BAs and a dynamic in each driver, for under a hundred bucks. I'm probably going to get those instead but I love how the q-Jays look. Just wish they nestled up against the ear like the FiiOs do. Am I nuts for sticking with the FiiO over these? I figure I don't need to have the anniversary edition, even if it's better looking than the standard black. I'm a rock/metal guy.

IDK if that's nuts F9 seem well regarded. I don't like to get hung up on driver count, but well done DD bass on a hybrid can be a tangible advantage. I think Brooko has reviewed them all, might try reading his reviews to triangulate them relative to your preference.

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #428 of 456
Received my 50% off Black Friday Q-Jays today... Very early first impressions:

- Superb high end packaging and build quality (nicer than on many TOTL IEMs)
- Ultralight chassis and cable, possibly the most comfortable IEM I´ve ever used
- Best cable connector I´ve ever seen in an IEM (and tiny!)
- Probably the most useful included IEM case as well (perfect size, protects well and stylish too)
- Stock silicon tips have a great seal (initially said they don´t); it looks like I just didn´t insert them deeply enough first
- At this price nice value for money, but I don´t think they are fully competitive vs. most current 300-400 euro IEMs*
- Tonality is good for low/medium volume listening, but breaks down with many records when listening high volume as the treble/bass balance simply tilts too much towards treble (makes sense though, never heard a double balanced armature that can do really deep boosted** bass)
- There´s a treble peak that makes some songs sound piercing/sibilant, but with other songs there´s no problem (depends on recording)
- Bass is better than I expected from such a tiny double BA IEM, but lacks impact and quantity compared to most 3-4 BA IEMs
- Sound good low/medium volume in quiet environments, but the bass is not enough to drown outside noise so not very good for the metro etc.
- Good clarity, resolution, air, driver speed and instrument separation
- Soundstage larger than I expected (in my experience BA IEMs often struggle with this), a sort of a small 3D bubble***

* Exception maybe if you are looking for something for lowish volume listening, don´t mind treble emphasis and place a high emphasis on build quality/style/comfort
** I think IEMs need at least 3 dB boost in the bass with good extension to emulate the feeling that speakers/open around ear headphones bass has when the air hits you (+ this is especially important if you have extended highs). And also an additional sub bass boost is generally needed to drown out background noise in outside environments.
*** Similar in style to IE 800, but the Sennheiser has a significantly larger bubble

All in all a very positive experience so far, happy with the purchase. I´ll mostly be using these at work for lowish volume background music listening. Easily the best dual BA IEM I´ve heard, but I can´t shake the feeling that two BA´s just aren´t enough for a more balanced tonality if you want extended treble. I´ll be trying these next with the Shure Olives (many here seem to favor those) as soon as I get them. They might just tame the treble enough to make these sound balanced at higher volumes as well.

If JAYS ever completes their famously long delayed/perhaps cancelled quad BA X-Jays I´d definitely be interested in trying those. Their IEMs clearly show some seriously impressive engineering.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #429 of 456
** I think IEMs need at least 3 dB boost in the bass with good extension to emulate the feeling that speakers/open around ear headphones bass has when it air hits you (+ this is especially important if you have extended highs). And also an additional sub bass boost is generally needed to drown out background noise in outside environments.

Have you tried EQ with them? They won't get you the subbass you want but do respond favorably to eq in my experience- usually lift lower bass & upper treble and a slight dip around 5-6khz peak since my canals also prone to sibillance.

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #430 of 456
Have you tried EQ with them? They won't get you the subbass you want but do respond favorably to eq in my experience- usually lift lower bass & upper treble and a slight dip around 5-6khz peak since my canals also prone to sibillance.

Good idea, thanks! I just tried it on my Sony Walkman A35 (built-in EQ) and it works very nicely. I´m not even hearing any added distortion either so I think the drivers can manage it. Much better now...

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #431 of 456
Iv'e had the 1st version q-jays and the 2nd for two years now. I really like them due to hte small size factor and the sound of course. I would like to have som more bass and when I get a proper seal it gets better but I struggle with my ears and tips(Olive) all the time.
I read a review in a Swedish Hifi magazine on custom-fit eartips so I 3d scanned my ear canals earlier this week. Shipment in a couple of weeks and comes with different filters (12-27 dB). Can't wait to try them!:)

Aug 3, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #432 of 456
Iv'e had the 1st version q-jays and the 2nd for two years now. I really like them due to hte small size factor and the sound of course. I would like to have som more bass and when I get a proper seal it gets better but I struggle with my ears and tips(Olive) all the time.
I read a review in a Swedish Hifi magazine on custom-fit eartips so I 3d scanned my ear canals earlier this week. Shipment in a couple of weeks and comes with different filters (12-27 dB). Can't wait to try them!:)

Looking forward to your thoughts ...

Sep 12, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #433 of 456
Hi Guys, looking for your help!

I bought q-jays from their website, I am in Netherlands BTW, a year ago but didn't use it much because it was a bit harsh for my taste.
Recently I decided to give it an another try and realized that my units are imbalanced, the sound from the right unit is quite smaller than the other.
I checked the connections and the protective filters to make sure, then did all kinds of A/B tests, swap left and right, wearing upside, changing the protective filter left and right, try different sources, and compare with other earphones, but the sound from the right unit is always smaller. So, I emailed to Jays and they send me a copy paste reply to check what I already did, replied back that I did but it's same. Then another reply from Jays with the similar story and stopped to responding to my email. I decided to make a phone call but surprisingly they have no phone number on their web site.

Dear Members, what kinds of measure I can take if they don't responding to your service request? Has anyone had a similar experience?

I hope that this is an issue with the person handling my case and not Scandinavian BS.
Have a nice day anyway!

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #434 of 456
Hi Guys, looking for your help!

I bought q-jays from their website, I am in Netherlands BTW, a year ago but didn't use it much because it was a bit harsh for my taste.
Recently I decided to give it an another try and realized that my units are imbalanced, the sound from the right unit is quite smaller than the other.
I checked the connections and the protective filters to make sure, then did all kinds of A/B tests, swap left and right, wearing upside, changing the protective filter left and right, try different sources, and compare with other earphones, but the sound from the right unit is always smaller. So, I emailed to Jays and they send me a copy paste reply to check what I already did, replied back that I did but it's same. Then another reply from Jays with the similar story and stopped to responding to my email. I decided to make a phone call but surprisingly they have no phone number on their web site.

Dear Members, what kinds of measure I can take if they don't responding to your service request? Has anyone had a similar experience?

I hope that this is an issue with the person handling my case and not Scandinavian BS.
Have a nice day anyway!

You should be covered by their 24 months warranty that automatically gives you an exchange for a new q-JAYS. I'll suggest you keep trying their email but also try to contact them via their Facebook page, which is active last I checked.

Sep 12, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #435 of 456
You should be covered by their 24 months warranty that automatically gives you an exchange for a new q-JAYS. I'll suggest you keep trying their email but also try to contact them via their Facebook page, which is active last I checked.
Thanks ClieOS for suggest to contact to Facebook.
I am quite upset because they are putting quite an effort to market themself as a premium brand but only open one communication channel (email with the least obligation), this is not different from the cheap web shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back