Q-Jays are back.
Mar 25, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #391 of 456

Technically a normal SSMCX doesn't have any thread, but with a snap-on design just like MMCX. This kind of threaded SSMCX is unique to q-JAYS 2 and AKR02. Even if you go out and get a cable with normal SSMCX connector, it still won't fit q-JAYS 2. As I recall reading quite awhile ago that A&K doesn't sell replacement cable for AKR02, so the only possible replacement cable for q-JAYS is from JAYS themselves.

Good to know. Perhaps other IEM manufacturers will embrace this connection type in the future ... 

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #392 of 456
What are the advantages of threaded SSMCX vs SSMCX and MMCX?

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #393 of 456
What are the advantages of threaded SSMCX vs SSMCX and MMCX?

Two of the biggest failing points for MMCX connector are (1) the free spinning, snap-on design eventually gets loose / misaligned over time due to frequent motion in use, causing 'blind spot' (*disconnection) to happen and often require a change of cable (*easy) or socket (*hard) to fix. (2) the delicate nature of the snap-in design is also sensitive to dirt / dust / moisture (*rust) built up, which is almost unavoidable as it is in so close a proximity with oily ears. In contrast, a thread SSMCX design does not free spin and therefore won't have any wear and tear like a normal MMCX. The non-spinning nature also allow o-ring to be put in place to seal off any foreign contamination (and also double as friction to stop the cable from unscrewing out of the socket over time)..

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #394 of 456

Two of the biggest failing points for MMCX connector are (1) the free spinning, snap-on design eventually gets loose / misaligned over time due to frequent motion in use, causing 'blind spot' (*disconnection) to happen and often require a change of cable (*easy) or socket (*hard) to fix. (2) the delicate nature of the snap-in design is also sensitive to dirt / dust / moisture (*rust) built up, which is almost unavoidable as it is in so close a proximity with oily ears. In contrast, a thread SSMCX design does not free spin and therefore won't have any wear and tear like a normal MMCX. The non-spinning nature also allow o-ring to be put in place to seal off any foreign contamination (and also double as friction to stop the cable from unscrewing out of the socket over time)..

Agreed.

Mar 27, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #395 of 456
I did get in touch with JAYS about the distortion I was hearing with my recently purchased q-JAYS AE. As I thought, the maximum output of this IEM is limited by the small volume of the stainless steel enclosures.

I'm so used to being able to crank the volume up on my AKR02 and IE 800, I just assumed the q-JAYS would do the same.

Beautiful sound, these q-JAYS have.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #396 of 456
Just a note. I received my q-Jays a couple weeks ago, and was a little disappointed. Picked up some large Shure olives and life (and sound) is very very good. For me it made a gigantic difference. Top end smoothed out a bit, and bottom end firmed up. As always, ymmv.

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #397 of 456
Just a note. I received my q-Jays a couple weeks ago, and was a little disappointed. Picked up some large Shure olives and life (and sound) is very very good. For me it made a gigantic difference. Top end smoothed out a bit, and bottom end firmed up. As always, ymmv.

Try Comply Professional or TX-100

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #398 of 456
Try Comply Professional or TX-100

I tried the silicon tips but got the best bass performance with the included Complys.

May 24, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #399 of 456
I just posted my review of the q-JAYS Anniversary Edition.

May 24, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #400 of 456
I just posted my review of the q-JAYS Anniversary Edition.

Nice review. I finally tried out cranking the volume a bit on my standard Q-Jays and did get some distortion. I would never listen that loud but this threshold is notably lower than other IEMs I own. Definitely a drawback worth highlighting (esp for the hard of hearing).

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #401 of 456
Nice review. I finally tried out cranking the volume a bit on my standard Q-Jays and did get some distortion. I would never listen that loud but this threshold is notably lower than other IEMs I own. Definitely a drawback worth highlighting (esp for the hard of hearing).

Thank you for commenting. I do probably listen to higher levels than many, so this aspect of the design really stood out. I now adjust my listening tastes when using the AE. :ksc75smile:

Jul 6, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #403 of 456
I continue to enjoy my q-JAYS AE, especially the fantastic top end clarity. I'm now using them primarily when I do my hiking, and having such great sound as I walk makes this form of exercise a pleasure for me. :ksc75smile:

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #404 of 456
I continue to enjoy my q-JAYS AE, especially the fantastic top end clarity. I'm now using them primarily when I do my hiking, and having such great sound as I walk makes this form of exercise a pleasure for me. :ksc75smile:

What source do you use on your excursions?
q-Jays and Sony A17 still my killer portable combo after all this time... super small & lightweight, good sound pairing & I still get 30+ hrs after almost 3 years w/ daily or near-daily use of the walkman, great for extended trips, though I think the headphone jack is starting to show some resentment.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #405 of 456
What source do you use on your excursions?
q-Jays and Sony A17 still my killer portable combo after all this time... super small & lightweight, good sound pairing & I still get 30+ hrs after almost 3 years w/ daily or near-daily use of the walkman, great for extended trips, though I think the headphone jack is starting to show some resentment.

I use my iPhone 5s with my q-JAYS. Works really well. If I really want to to hear how good these are, I use my AK240SS.

Glad you are finding your q-JAYS and Sony to be a solid combo. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back