PSB M4U1 - Thoughts?
May 3, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #271 of 630
Thanks! Next question, do both ends fit without rubbing the slots in the cups?

:beerchug:

Yes, they don't rub, but is very close, almost like they're designed for each other. Here, took some pics for you:

May 3, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #272 of 630
Yes, they don't rub, but is very close, almost like they're designed for each other. Here, took some pics for you:

Fantastic! And thanks again! I just may pick up the 2.5m one and cut it in half and solder to a 6.35mm plug! Right after I buy some Russian tubes for my new Little Bear P2 (Clear).

beerchug.gif

May 4, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #274 of 630
I've also been looking for an upgrade cable. Where can I get one such as the occ cable? Here's what I've found so far, and this seems like a pretty nice cable:

I don't recommend any silver cable. Get an OCC only cable. OCC cables pretty much sounds the same, so no need for expensive ones, just reasonably good build. I'm using an Oyaide HPC-35 that you can get for around $50, and I highly recommend it.

May 4, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #275 of 630
The sibilance on the PSB M4U 1 is bit more than realistic, and this will be cleaned up totally with an OCC cable. With silver, I'm afraid it will emphasize the sibilance. Perfectly ok if that's your preference. But me, the sibilance is perfect with the stock cable when I want the sound to sound "audiophile-like", more analytical. If I want it to be more realistic, I use the OCC cable. This is another thing I like with the PSBs, very easy to swap cables. It's like tube rolling without the distortions...:)

May 4, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #276 of 630
I don't recommend any silver cable. Get an OCC only cable. OCC cables pretty much sounds the same, so no need for expensive ones, just reasonably good build. I'm using an Oyaide HPC-35 that you can get for around $50, and I highly recommend it.

Where can I get such cable? Don't see it on amazon, do you have a link to the right one?

The sibilance on the PSB M4U 1 is bit more than realistic, and this will be cleaned up totally with an OCC cable. With silver, I'm afraid it will emphasize the sibilance. Perfectly ok if that's your preference. But me, the sibilance is perfect with the stock cable when I want the sound to sound "audiophile-like", more analytical. If I want it to be more realistic, I use the OCC cable. This is another thing I like with the PSBs, very easy to swap cables. It's like tube rolling without the distortions...:)

Hm, interesting. I own a silver cable for my shure se215, I noticed a boost in the sub-bass, and I guess it did give the treble sparkle which I didn't think about since that model has a very warm sound. I'm mainly hoping for sub-bass improvement with my PSB M4U1, and not sibilance.

May 4, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #277 of 630
Another reason I am interested in cables such as the one pictured however, is that they are handmade and they seem to respond to customer requests, so it is possible I could have them custom make it split into two channels, since I dont have materials or extra 3.5mm plugs like the ones they use to do it myself. That would also make upgrading the internal wiring extremely easy.

I would have to think about splitting though since I do like how they are connected channels that way, as running two sources through them works quite nicely.

May 4, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #278 of 630
http://www.amazon.com/OYAIDE-oyaide-HPC-35-stereo-headphone/dp/B002FE0X2Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430793260&sr=8-1&keywords=Oyaide+hpc-35

The OCC improves on lower frequencies, but doesn't alter the higher frequencies. So it would improve the sub-bass. It's like the lower frequencies could pass thru the cable better/faster now.

May 4, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #279 of 630
http://global.rakuten.com/en/search/?tl=&k=Oyaide+hpc-35

May 5, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #280 of 630
This is another thing I like with the PSBs, very easy to swap cables. It's like tube rolling without the distortions...
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, and equally addictive!

The 2.5m Oyaide HPC-35 cable is only $54 + free shipping on Amazon. That is an excellent price for a cable, period, let alone one of such high quality. Think I might order it on Friday. 

beerchug.gif

Edit: Nice, they also sell a version for the HD598!

May 5, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #281 of 630
I guess that's an advantage of the 1 over the 2, because for the 2 you need specific plugs - plain 3.5 to 3.5 mm will only work in passive mode...

May 5, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #282 of 630
I guess that's an advantage of the 1 over the 2, because for the 2 you need specific plugs - plain 3.5 to 3.5 mm will only work in passive mode...
What kind of plug is needed for the 2?

May 5, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #284 of 630
Basically I think it needs a TRRS 4-poles plug. "Plain" 3.5mm cables only work on passive mode, and when you turn on active or NC mode, it goes silent.
I see. How's the 2's ANC in real life? The FR graph at innerfidelity.com when on ANC mode looks wonky especially on the bass to sub-bass.

May 5, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #285 of 630
I see. How's the 2's ANC in real life? The FR graph at innerfidelity.com when on ANC mode looks wonky especially on the bass to sub-bass.

I terms of sound, i think the difference between NC and active modes is much more subtle than the graph may suggest. Maybe slightly more v-shaped sound sig, but not very different at all to my ears at least.

In terms of the NC itself, it's good. Not as good as Bose qc 15/25, but still very good for flights, I fly pretty often and it makes a huge difference!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back