PSB M4U1 - Thoughts?
Dec 31, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #61 of 630
  For $300, it is arguably the best closed back headphone or one of the best [the new NAD HP50 is winning xD] but at $500, there will be a lot more closed headphone that possibly sound better like the B&W P7, SRH-1540 etc. 

Happy new year everyone! 

B&W 7 does not sound better than PSB. HP50's "roomfeel" is unacceptable for me. So yes, PSB made a great pair of headphones:)

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #63 of 630
Hi,

I just listened to them at my local hifi store. Man. I couldn't stop listening to them. I went through my whole testing playlist over and over again. They are amazing. I listened to them unamped from an iphone5 and don't want to now how good they will sound with my home and office setup. These are for sure my next headphones.

They are versatile, detailed and fun. I couldn't find a single song I didn't like with them. After having tested that day the new Harman Kardon (arghh), Sennheiser Momentum and Amperior, the Focal Spirit One (really good), I thought I found my favorite with the Focal One. But no, after listening to the PSB M4U2 1 and 2 I know now that I really want these. They are so good.

So it seems my HD598, HD239 and my Ultrasone Pro 750 won't get so much head time anymore.

By the way, as open headphones go, the Yamaha HPH-200 is an absolutely bargain, aft having it for two weeks I can't stop listening to it.

Now I just need to convince myself fully that I NEED another pair of headphones :wink:

Cheers,
K

I came across a listening station at some store and they have B&W P5, KEF 500, B&O, Focal One, and the PSB. The PSB won me over by a significant margin. Focal is very close. The rest are muddy, undefined, unexciting, & sluggish . I can't believe the raves the KEF M500 gets on HeadFi forum. 

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #64 of 630
Happy black M4U-1 owner here. I've had them since early September and have listened to them almost daily since. I fold them up and toss them in my work bag, take them to work and listen several hours at a time M-F. In my hands, they've taking a good amount of abuse. I don't throw them around, but I certainly don't baby them. I don't use the provided case at all and at this point, after I just inspected them thoroughly, I don't have any cracks anywhere. Seems to me that they've fixed the problem.

Also, I have thoroughly tested them against these headphones:
AKG-K550
Senheiser Momentum over ear
Sennheiser Amperior
Sol republic Tracks Ultra (not even in the same league)

The PSB's IMHO beats them all in every aspect. They're very comfortable for me. I have an average sized head. I actually like the clamping pressure. It's like a hug for my head. :wink:

I listen to them amped pretty much all the time, using either my computer or and ipod classic.

Amps I have:
Aune T1
Centrance Hifi M8
Bio Science Geek 18v CMOY with the Analog Devices AD8620ARZ Chip from JDS labs.

They sound awesome with all of them. 

Just wanted to chime in and start getting more involved with the conversation here. 

One thing I would like to see/find/talk about is possibly finding a better pair of ear pads. I would like them to be just a tad thicker. Anyone have any ideas?

Jan 11, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #65 of 630

Also, I have thoroughly tested them against these headphones:
AKG-K550
Senheiser Momentum over ear
Sennheiser Amperior
Sol republic Tracks Ultra (not even in the same league)

The PSB's IMHO beats them all in every aspect. They're very comfortable for me. I have an average sized head. I actually like the clamping pressure. It's like a hug for my head. :wink:

IMO, the PSB M4U1 indeed easily win all of the above but I would take it on par with K550 xD

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #66 of 630
Possibly true. :wink: My issue with the K550 was that I just couldn't get them to fit my head. I didn't want to deform them too much while testing as I wasn't sure that I was keeping them.In the end, it was too much trouble to get them to fit. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #67 of 630
How's the clearance inside the cup? My ears stick out a bit and I don't want to be stuck to on- ears. Also, where are you guys testing these? I've never even seem them for sale anywhere near me (Illinois)

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #71 of 630
How's the clearance inside the cup? My ears stick out a bit and I don't want to be stuck to on- ears. Also, where are you guys testing these? I've never even seem them for sale anywhere near me (Illinois)

They're quite shallow. There's some cushion between the driver and your ear, but it's thin. You could just order them from Amazon and try them out, if they're no good just return them.

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #72 of 630
They're quite shallow. There's some cushion between the driver and your ear, but it's thin. You could just order them from Amazon and try them out, if they're no good just return them.

Do you own them? Ideally I'd need clearance of 3/4 inch or more (considering that the distance decreases when you wear them as the pads clamp on your head)

Jan 12, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #74 of 630
Personally, I thought they were really shallow. My ears were touching the drivers.

How do they compare to the b&w p5 in sound? The p5's sounded decent to me ( at least better than the beats and bose next to them), and I think I'm better off wearing headphones that are meant to press on your ears as opposed to most over ears that still press on my ears.

Jan 12, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #75 of 630
How do they compare to the b&w p5 in sound? The p5's sounded decent to me ( at least better than the beats and bose next to them), and I think I'm better off wearing headphones that are meant to press on your ears as opposed to most over ears that still press on my ears.
Didn't have P5 for comparison, but from my memory, m4u1 had much better clarity and detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back