PSB M4U1 - Thoughts?
Dec 27, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #46 of 630
Has anybody contacted PSB about the plastic cracking issue? I am interested in these headphones, but I am hesitant to make a $300.00 investment if there are going to be severe build quality issues like this.

Also, what is the size of the jack that plugs in to the headphones themselves? Is it a 2.5 mm or 3.5 mm jack?

Thanks.

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #49 of 630
Great, thanks! Man, the ONLY thing holding be back from buying these is the suspect build quality (e.g. the cracking plastic issues). If I was assured that was cleared up I would buy a pair for sure. From what I have read, these are outstanding sounding headphones that sound better than models $100-$200 more in price.

Are you planning on using them as portable headphones or home-phones? Because I'd definitely recommend them if it's the latter, but have a couple of points of complaint if the former (though not enough to outweigh the awesome sound for me).

Dec 28, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #50 of 630
Are you planning on using them as portable headphones or home-phones? Because I'd definitely recommend them if it's the latter, but have a couple of points of complaint if the former (though not enough to outweigh the awesome sound for me).

They will be portable headphones running off of an unamped Galaxy S3 (I use Poweramp to play my music). What are your complaints as far as them being portable? I am not crazy about the "Beats ripoff look" and all of the gloss, but they are not at all bad looking headphones. My biggest worry is the plastic cracking issues that PSB seems to refuse to address.

Dec 28, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #51 of 630
They will be portable headphones running off of an unamped Galaxy S3 (I use Poweramp to play my music). What are your complaints as far as them being portable? I am not crazy about the "Beats ripoff look" and all of the gloss, but they are not at all bad looking headphones. My biggest worry is the plastic cracking issues that PSB seems to refuse to address.

Oh okay, well they're easy to drive. I've read people say they need amping to get the best from them, but I haven't heard much difference in their response since getting an amp, to be honest. They should sound great from your GS3 with PowerAmp (the bass and treble tweaks in PowerAmp work great with the M4U1s, especially as they lack a little bass presence, for me anyway).

My main issue with them is something I'm coining as 'Feetback' which is basically where every step you take creates a thudding sound within the headphones. This can be a bit off putting if you're not listening to louder passages of music, and it's ended up giving me a headache once or twice (though in fairness my ears are sensitive these days anyway). I also find their isolation isn't that great. It's not bad, but it's not great. They're quite microphonic as well, but I find it interfering a lot less than the 'feetback'. The thudding sound really is irksome, considering the whole point of portable headphones is that you'll be walking around a fair bit.

Having said that, I love their sound a lot. They strike a perfect balance for me. Good clarity without being bright. Warmth without being bloated. Neutrality without being cold.

Have you ever had a pair of headphones on and pressed them closer against your ears? Did you think they sounded better and wished they always sounded that way? That's exactly what the M4U1s sound like. However this does mean they sit close to your ears and so may be uncomfortable if your ears stick out a little. I find mine get uncomfortable after about 2 hours, maybe more, however I don't really use them longer than this and they're very comfortable up until then.

Oh yeah, I dislike the Beats look as well, and it put me off at first. They are big on the head as well, but again the sound comes first.

Dec 28, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #52 of 630
Oh okay, well they're easy to drive. I've read people say they need amping to get the best from them, but I haven't heard much difference in their response since getting an amp, to be honest. They should sound great from your GS3 with PowerAmp (the bass and treble tweaks in PowerAmp work great with the M4U1s, especially as they lack a little bass presence, for me anyway).

My main issue with them is something I'm coining as 'Feetback' which is basically where every step you take creates a thudding sound within the headphones. This can be a bit off putting if you're not listening to louder passages of music, and it's ended up giving me a headache once or twice (though in fairness my ears are sensitive these days anyway). I also find their isolation isn't that great. It's not bad, but it's not great. They're quite microphonic as well, but I find it interfering a lot less than the 'feetback'. The thudding sound really is irksome, considering the whole point of portable headphones is that you'll be walking around a fair bit.

Having said that, I love their sound a lot. They strike a perfect balance for me. Good clarity without being bright. Warmth without being bloated. Neutrality without being cold.

Have you ever had a pair of headphones on and pressed them closer against your ears? Did you think they sounded better and wished they always sounded that way? That's exactly what the M4U1s sound like. However this does mean they sit close to your ears and so may be uncomfortable if your ears stick out a little. I find mine get uncomfortable after about 2 hours, maybe more, however I don't really use them longer than this and they're very comfortable up until then.

Oh yeah, I dislike the Beats look as well, and it put me off at first. They are big on the head as well, but again the sound comes first.

Thanks for the really detailed impressions. I do think that I could manage with this issues that you are having if the sound is as good as a everyone says it is. Have you had your PSB's a long time and have you experienced the plastic cracking that others have as well? That really is the biggest thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on these, as everything else about them is just what I am looking for: Portability, Included durable hard case, Easy to swap removable cable (no proprietary mess or 2.5mm jacks on one end), Great sound and decent looks.

I just wish the build quality wasn't so potentially questionable.

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #53 of 630

Thanks for the really detailed impressions. I do think that I could manage with this issues that you are having if the sound is as good as a everyone says it is. Have you had your PSB's a long time and have you experienced the plastic cracking that others have as well? That really is the biggest thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on these, as everything else about them is just what I am looking for: Portability, Included durable hard case, Easy to swap removable cable (no proprietary mess or 2.5mm jacks on one end), Great sound and decent looks.

I just wish the build quality wasn't so potentially questionable.

Maybe you should try contracting PSB about it and see what they respond?

Just to add a few thing on what Zenthelld have said;

1) The PSB M4U1 will benefit from an amp, they will shine even better but I am not recommending you to pair it with an amp immediately; use it directly with your smartphone and see how it turns out first

all the best
Billson :)

Dec 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #54 of 630

1) The PSB M4U1 will benefit from an amp, they will shine even better but I am not recommending you to pair it with an amp immediately; use it directly with your smartphone and see how it turns out first

all the best

Yeah, I may have to create an account on the PSB website so that I can visit their support section. I checked their website and that seems like the only way to contact them online, as I didn't see an e-mail address or any kind of live chat feature.

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #55 of 630

all the best

What amp have you tried with them? Because the only improvement I heard with the C5D as an amp only was from the bass boost, but you can easily boost the bass in PowerAmp (more effectively in my opinion, too).

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #56 of 630
What amp have you tried with them? Because the only improvement I heard with the C5D as an amp only was from the bass boost, but you can easily boost the bass in PowerAmp (more effectively in my opinion, too).

E07K :) They make music more alive. 

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #57 of 630

Oh right. The Fiios tend to have a warm sound don't they? Considering the M4U1s are 32Ohm and have a sensitivity over 100dB, do you think it might just be the unique sound-signature the E07K provides that you're hearing the difference in?

Using the C5D as just an amp, without the bass boost on, I can hear no difference between that and the sound straight from my S4 using the M4U1s.

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #58 of 630
Oh right. The Fiios tend to have a warm sound don't they? Considering the M4U1s are 32Ohm and have a sensitivity over 100dB, do you think it might just be the unique sound-signature the E07K provides that you're hearing the difference in?

Using the C5D as just an amp, without the bass boost on, I can hear no difference between that and the sound straight from my S4 using the M4U1s.

Probably. The iPhone 4 that I tested it with as well, sounds rather thin when compared to E07K. 

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #59 of 630

Totally agree. My E07K makes a huge difference in the sound.

And despite hours and months of daily use, I've noticed no cracking or physical issues. I still think these are the most amazing closed cans you can buy sub-500 bucks.

Dec 31, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #60 of 630
Totally agree. My E07K makes a huge difference in the sound.

And despite hours and months of daily use, I've noticed no cracking or physical issues. I still think these are the most amazing closed cans you can buy sub-500 bucks.

For $300, it is arguably the best closed back headphone or one of the best [the new NAD HP50 is winning xD] but at $500, there will be a lot more closed headphone that possibly sound better like the B&W P7, SRH-1540 etc. 

Happy new year everyone! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back