PSB M4U1 - Thoughts?
Aug 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #17 of 630
I am currently trying to deccide between these and AKG K550s. I need closed cans for use when my wife is watching tv etc. I've been using Ultrasone 680's for about a year and really like them but am looking to upgrade and get a bit more space in the signature. Heard great things about both cans, but was wondering, if picking between the two, which folks here would lean towards.

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #18 of 630
Id get the m4u! The k550 only fits about 50% of the people that wear it (though it did fit me), and I just thing its too bright. Not enough bass either, but it has a wonderful sound stage. The psb is just the (second) best closed can around, only bested IMO by the kef m500. Id say if you like a little more mid bass then the m4u. Can't go wrong with either.

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #20 of 630
Honestly sounded phenomenal right out of the box. I'd say approximately 100 hours in, highs became more refined, mids became a little bit more forward and bass tightened up even more. In addition I think the soundstage and imaging improved. These are awesome cans and I believe you will love them!

Cheers!

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #22 of 630
Thanks guys. It's on the FedEx truck as I write! Glad to hear i can enjoy out of the box. Wasn't true of my Ultrasones for sure. I'll do at least a full week of pink noise in any event. I'll be sure to report back my thoughts once i live with them for a few days. Already have my "headphone demo" music queue all set up (nothing like the 2011 master of Floyd's The Final Cut to test soundstages!)

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #23 of 630
Quote:
Thanks guys. It's on the FedEx truck as I write! Glad to hear i can enjoy out of the box. Wasn't true of my Ultrasones for sure. I'll do at least a full week of pink noise in any event. I'll be sure to report back my thoughts once i live with them for a few days. Already have my "headphone demo" music queue all set up (nothing like the 2011 master of Floyd's The Final Cut to test soundstages!)

I wouldn't bother with any "pink noise"...just stick 'em on your head and enjoy the music! The sound has not changed for me in over 1 year since I've had mine (M4U 2).

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #24 of 630
I will need more time with them (and time to write) in order to give a full review, but i spent a few hours with them yesterday. Holy crap. A. yes ,they sound smashing right out of the box. (so much so that i find it hard to imagine how much more they could improve from burn in.) B. wow, they sound better, far better than any closed can i've used yet. They sound almost as good as my HD 598's, and the soundstage seems almost as wide. Which is just impossible to believe. But the raves are true. They are amazing. I'm using them with my Fiio E07k with the bass tweaked to +2.

I *am* having some comfort issues. They are heavy, but the issue for me is the clamping pressure..my head is big and on the most open setting of the band they still clamp rather forcefully. this aids the seal, but i'm hoping they ease up a bit with use. However i did fall asleep with them on in bed last night so they can't be *that* uncomfortable!

I will attempt a full review after some time with them, but initially my reaction is WOW...the folks who described them as "shockingly good" are right. I'm shocked by the sound, the clarity, the presence and the soundstage. I can't imagine any other sub-500 (let alone sub 400) dollar closed can sounding this great.

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #26 of 630
Quote:
I *am* having some comfort issues. They are heavy, but the issue for me is the clamping pressure..my head is big and on the most open setting of the band they still clamp rather forcefully. this aids the seal, but i'm hoping they ease up a bit with use. However i did fall asleep with them on in bed last night so they can't be *that* uncomfortable!

The size is my only issue with them. I have a very large head and have to do quite a bit of finagling to get them to fit down over my ears. I don't find the clamping pressure to be too great, but I think it's only a matter of time before the headband cracks based on the sounds it makes when I open them wide enough to get over my head.

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #27 of 630
I like what I hear about these, although it bothers me they are poorly constructed, the AKG k550 is pretty tough and but it's a wacky fit... so everything has it's up and downs.... except the Beyer Dt 990 Pro... ahh such a good can I do enjoy it [sorry listening to some nice Dub Step with em atm, and well they track just dropped]

here listen to it on your psb m4u1, if they are good it should have the same enjoyment ^^ 

The Dt 990 has that deep tight bass, and those delicate and lovely mids! Making this epic tune as epic as it should be 

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #28 of 630
Yeah i wouldn't characterize the construction as poor per se...just that they are heavy and clampy for those of us with big heads. (i haven't heard any kind of cracking in the band when i use them so i must not be stressing them as much as some folks are). I did feel like yesterday the pressure was either eased up a bit, or i'm getting used to them. Overall they feel well built to me.

I had this whole conversation with my wife last night to the tune of "i cannot BELIEVE how great these sound". I'm still in pleasant shock. Looking forward to more test driving today.

Aug 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #29 of 630
Mitchgo,

I agree wholeheartedly (even had the same conversation with The Wife, haha) For me, these are THE headphones for now. I found my perfect, closed phone. I'm not sure what kind of music you're into, but check out Television Marquee Moon on these. Amazing. I could listen to them for days. They do get a little warm, but it is summer and I'm in Arizona. I am looking forward to wearing them with cooler weather.

Happy listening everyone!

Aug 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #30 of 630
Dude i am a huge Television fan! Seen them several times and worship Marquee Moon. (I will give it a spin, thanks for the reminder!) I listen to a lot of metal and prog (and the intersection of the two). Through the PSB's I've been spinning a variety of stuff...Opeth, Floyd, Super Furry Animals, Pallas, Pineapple Thief, Tull, Dream Theater, Kansas, Hawkwind, Nine Inch Nails, Deftones....everything sounds amazing so far. Again, the equal, or nearly, of my HD 598s, which still doesn't seem possible. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back