PSB M4U1 - Thoughts?
Aug 28, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #31 of 630
Well I'm pleased to report that after five days the clamipng pressure seems to have eased up a bit, just enough to move it from noticeable to not really. You can still feel a solid seal from the pressure...i suspect this almost-pressurized seal you get with these things contributes to its amazing sound. But it's not something that is cutting into my listening enjoyment. (Though my 598s feel almost comically light now!)

Either that or i'm just getting used to it, but i'm on the verge of scratching off my only "Con" on the list.

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #32 of 630
Bought the M4U-1's a couple of days ago and by and large I agree with the positive posts. The sound quality is very good but I think I need to get some more hours on mine to be sure. They are a little heavy & to stop them slipping on my head I have to have them fitting rather tight... yeah I listen mostly slumped on the sofa. Sitting up straight there is no problem.

My only major gripe, is one that I noticed within seconds of starting to listen and I haven't seen mentioned anywhere... how incredibly microphonic these thing are.. the slightest brush against anything, including their own cable, produces a loud clunk. I find this really quite irritating and it is, I suppose, due to the currently fashionable wrap around acrylic shell type design with no decoupling of the earcups from the headband. Dunno, but this factor alone means I may not keep these long term, which is a shame. The lead is also too short for my needs, but that's easily fixed. No one else noticed this?

Sep 18, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #33 of 630
Bought the M4U-1's a couple of days ago and by and large I agree with the positive posts. The sound quality is very good but I think I need to get some more hours on mine to be sure. They are a little heavy & to stop them slipping on my head I have to have them fitting rather tight... yeah I listen mostly slumped on the sofa. Sitting up straight there is no problem.

My only major gripe, is one that I noticed within seconds of starting to listen and I haven't seen mentioned anywhere... how incredibly microphonic these thing are.. the slightest brush against anything, including their own cable, produces a loud clunk. I find this really quite irritating and it is, I suppose, due to the currently fashionable wrap around acrylic shell type design with no decoupling of the earcups from the headband. Dunno, but this factor alone means I may not keep these long term, which is a shame. The lead is also too short for my needs, but that's easily fixed. No one else noticed this?

To solve the microphonic sound, you can wrap the entire cable with a thin later of fabric material. Otherwise, you can purchase a after market cable for it that does not have any microphonic issue :)

Sep 18, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #34 of 630
Hi, thanks for the reply, but it's not the cable itself that's the problem.. its the headset, although I do have a spare cable on order because I want longer. 
It literally reproduces any noise from anything touching it to an excessive degree. Now I accept that the ear cups are always going to be "live" to a certain extent but this really leapt out at me. If I move my head & the cable touches the cans, or  I brush against the cushions on the sofa, then it sounds like someone kicking over the trashcans in the alley (ok, that maybe a slight exaggeration 
wink_face.gif
). Even just touching the headband does it. Instead of relaxing & enjoying the music I find myself sitting (or lying) rigid, trying not to move my head. which kinda spoils things. Its less of an issue if I'm sitting at my desk.

I didn't get this on my old SR-125's, or the PC360's I use for gaming.

Sep 18, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #35 of 630
  Hi, thanks for the reply, but it's not the cable itself that's the problem.. its the headset, although I do have a spare cable on order because I want longer. 
It literally reproduces any noise from anything touching it to an excessive degree. Now I accept that the ear cups are always going to be "live" to a certain extent but this really leapt out at me. If I move my head & the cable touches the cans, or  I brush against the cushions on the sofa, then it sounds like someone kicking over the trashcans in the alley (ok, that maybe a slight exaggeration 
wink_face.gif
). Even just touching the headband does it. Instead of relaxing & enjoying the music I find myself sitting (or lying) rigid, trying not to move my head. which kinda spoils things. Its less of an issue if I'm sitting at my desk.

I didn't get this on my old SR-125's, or the PC360's I use for gaming.

I have no issue with that but that's probably because I listen to headphones while sitting and while I am having my half time playing games or surfing the internet :D

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #37 of 630
It literally reproduces any noise from anything touching it to an excessive degree. Now I accept that the ear cups are always going to be "live" to a certain extent but this really leapt out at me. If I move my head & the cable touches the cans, or  I brush against the cushions on the sofa, then it sounds like someone kicking over the trashcans in the alley (ok, that maybe a slight exaggeration :wink_face: ). Even just touching the headband does it. Instead of relaxing & enjoying the music I find myself sitting (or lying) rigid, trying not to move my head. which kinda spoils things. Its less of an issue if I'm sitting at my desk.

I know what you mean and I've noticed it too. Doesn't bother me...even doing stuff around the house, unless I actually bump the ear cups i don't hear it. Personally I believe it's a normal function of the really strong seal they make (which to be clear is a major reason why these sound so amazing). I have noticed varying degrees of this transfer of vibrations on ALL closed cans I've used. The better the seal, the more vibration/bump noise you'll get. I think of this as an occupational hazard of using closed cans with a strong seal. Totally a non issue on open cans.

Oct 21, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #38 of 630
HELLO ALL! [Sorry caps, but too happy to see this]

HOOOOOOORRAYYYYYYYYYYY! Yep! M4U2 is definately one of my favorite headphone after trying it at a hi-fi shop. Really really nice! Hopefully someone can compare it to the SoundMagic HP-100! These PSB headphone are actually comparable to the K550 but that is when the K550 paired with an amp. PSB need no amp to sound good. Might as well be my next purchase :D

So my favorite closed headphones are basically AKG K550, PSB M4U2/1. Open: HD598

Billson :D

I know I'm no one special here, but I'll be getting both sometime over the next couple of days and plan on doing reviews of each or at least a comparison :)

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #39 of 630
Hi guys, 

As many have had concerns of how these will endure, I decided to weigh in my experience with the M4U1's.

As we all know, they sound simply amazing, and the comfort isn't the best for every headshape(for me it's good enough), but the plastic frame has started showing signs of heavy wear in form of fracturing all along the headband, especially at the ends of it. 

I've only had mine since end of august 2013, so easily under half a year of use, albeit active use(on average about 4 hours daily), I think this shouldn't be happening at all.

I've treated my pair as well as one might imagine, not like a fragile egg, but I don't throw them around either, I set them down on the table after use gently, and they've never been dropped. I only fold em when I travel with em, and that's been like 10 times max. No large temperature changes either

Here are some pictures for reference, my camera doesn't want to pick up on all of the fractures, because it seems to have trouble picking em up with all that bright red plastic around it, but the biggest ones show well enough, just for reference, all the fractures you see on the pics are through'n'through cracks on the plastic, they continue through the whole headband, but as I mentioned, my camera didn't pick em up well enough.

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #40 of 630
That's a real shame. I've been having my own issue with them as well, which is that they often give me a headache after using them outside and walking around with them (not sure if it's because of the slight increase in volume or because of the thud they make with each footstep). I've also developed some tinnitus since using them regularly. This shouldn't have happened as I always listen around 60-70dB. I might have to look into selling my pair soon, especially considering this news on their physical Longevity. It's a huge shame because they truly sound incredible and I can't imagine being able to find the same kind of sound in another pair. Here's to hoping PSB puts their sound in a different form factor.

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #41 of 630
I know I'm no one special here, but I'll be getting both sometime over the next couple of days and plan on doing reviews of each or at least a comparison
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't have to be special to do a review/comparison :) 

Have you guys tried contacting PSB about the cracking issue? D:

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #42 of 630
  Have you guys tried contacting PSB about the cracking issue? D:

I'd like to know that as well. I am interested in these headphones and I had heard that the plastic cracking issue was supposed to be fixed like a year ago. I am wondering if these headphones may have been old stock (not likely) or if PSB is still having issues (most likely).

I would be interested to hear what PSB has told anyone who has contacted them about this.

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #43 of 630
Does anybody know of good replacement cable (straight-through) for the M4U 1?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #44 of 630
Does anybody know of good replacement cable (straight-through) for the M4U 1?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought these ones: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pcs-1m-5-Colors-Stereo-Jack-To-Jack-3-5mm-Plug-Cable-Cord-Audio-Headphone-/201009652679?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2ecd1be3c7

I haven't had mine long enough to say whether or not they hold up over time, but you get 5 for a good price, they look funky, and they fit well. They may be too short for your needs, though, not sure what you want it for.

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #45 of 630
I bought these ones: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pcs-1m-5-Colors-Stereo-Jack-To-Jack-3-5mm-Plug-Cable-Cord-Audio-Headphone-/201009652679?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2ecd1be3c7

I haven't had mine long enough to say whether or not they hold up over time, but you get 5 for a good price, they look funky, and they fit well. They may be too short for your needs, though, not sure what you want it for.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back