PSB M4U 2
Aug 5, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #466 of 733
Aug 5, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #467 of 733
Quote:
Noted....

Here's an interview with PSB's Paul Barton that many will find interesting. 

Just read that one....great article on a great pair of headphones. If they were a bit more portable and the NC circuitry was better, I'd still have them for my travel cans. I've since gone back to the QC15s. Nothing is better on a noisy plane for when I travel for work. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #468 of 733
Quote:
Just read that one....great article on a great pair of headphones. If they were a bit more portable and the NC circuitry was better, I'd still have them for my travel cans. I've since gone back to the QC15s. Nothing is better on a noisy plane for when I travel for work. 

Nothing beat Bose when it comes to NC! I have tested one long time ago, the isolation is just crazy but the electrical sound can be uncomfortable to me...

Billson :)

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #469 of 733
I do actually find that using high end / detailed headphones for low quality audio actually sounds worse than using cheaper ones....

For example when I had Dynaudio speakers, they sounded good with DTS / FLAC but when using them to play freeview TV with that horrible compressed 96kbps audio stream they sounded worse than my B&W speakers...

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #470 of 733
They told you things you didn't want to know
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #472 of 733
Hi everyone,
My first post here.

I was given a pair of M4U-2's as a present a while back. I have been loving them ever since, especially on the 2 hours spent on the train where the noise cancelling is a great plus.

Unfortunately, they developed the infamous headband cracking after about two weeks. I wasn't too worried, as I thought that it was aesthetic only which I can live with (thought for AU$400 headphones is disappointing).
However, this morning when I went to put them on they fell apart in my hands. The issue is the hinge relies on the plastic cover of the headband to clamp down, and when the plastic cracks near the hinge it eventually comes apart making the headphones useless without a replacement headband.

I've brought them back to the retail outlet, who advise there is a week wait for new stock. I'm hoping I got unlucky and somehow had a pair from the old stock prior to PSB attending to the cracking issue. My serial number was 1700-203xxx.

Hopefully they do have a fix as they do sound great and I love being able to turn NC off. The shop indicated that these are the only ones they have had returned, so either everyone else has smaller head than I do, or I got a particularly bad pair.

Cheers,

LukeV

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #473 of 733
Hi LukeV,

That's kinda interesting. I think it was the early PSB M4U2s that had the headband cracking if I remember correctly? Maybe the one you had was old stock? Supposedly the headband cracking was resolved sometime mid/late last year if memory serves me correctly.

Better luck in your replacement!

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #474 of 733
Hi everyone,
My first post here.

I was given a pair of M4U-2's as a present a while back. I have been loving them ever since, especially on the 2 hours spent on the train where the noise cancelling is a great plus.

Unfortunately, they developed the infamous headband cracking after about two weeks. I wasn't too worried, as I thought that it was aesthetic only which I can live with (thought for AU$400 headphones is disappointing).
However, this morning when I went to put them on they fell apart in my hands. The issue is the hinge relies on the plastic cover of the headband to clamp down, and when the plastic cracks near the hinge it eventually comes apart making the headphones useless without a replacement headband.

I've brought them back to the retail outlet, who advise there is a week wait for new stock. I'm hoping I got unlucky and somehow had a pair from the old stock prior to PSB attending to the cracking issue. My serial number was 1700-203xxx.

Hopefully they do have a fix as they do sound great and I love being able to turn NC off. The shop indicated that these are the only ones they have had returned, so either everyone else has smaller head than I do, or I got a particularly bad pair.

Cheers,

LukeV

Hey!

I'm guessing it's the factory issue and like they said, it's fixed by now! :)

Good luck with your replacement
Billson :)

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #475 of 733
Thanks, yeah hoping it was just that I somehow got old stock and all will be good. I will update in a few weeks when I have the new pair.

I guess I also wanted to warn those that may think the cracking is only aesthetic that it may not be the case.
I should have taken a picture of the hinge mechanism to show what happened, but I only thought of that after returning them.

Cheers,

LukeV

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #476 of 733
I love my PSB M4U2 but I hate the fact the supplied cable with mic cannot control volume on a iPhone 5. By chance i tested the NAD VISO (PSB and NAD are sister companies) and their cable can control volume when inserted into the PSB. That is a very serious oversight in my view.

Now I've got that off my chest, has anyone tried different ear pads on the PSB? The cups are a little bit small for me.

Thanks

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #478 of 733
Have you thought of the hm5 pads?

I have a pair of HM5 pads. Pretty good but a little bit too big which I could live with. I bought the PSB for amplification when I'm lazy to connect a DAC and amp, not for its Noise Cancellation function which I hardly use. So the HM5 is okay but slightly smaller would be better. I'm wondering if any of the Shure oval pads fit?

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #479 of 733
Just wondering what owners of these headphones would think of pairing these with the newly announced IBasso DX50 portable player.. I am a big fan of the PSB speakers (have a great setup of the Image line of speakers for one of my home theater placements) and have read some very encouraging reviews of these headphones..  My need combines portability and also noise canceling.. so what do you think??

I am a newbie to this site and have just started to experiment with digitizing my CD collection.. so  go easy and make the comments user friendly for this old guy

Thanks for your time

Don J

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #480 of 733
  Just wondering what owners of these headphones would think of pairing these with the newly announced IBasso DX50 portable player.. I am a big fan of the PSB speakers (have a great setup of the Image line of speakers for one of my home theater placements) and have read some very encouraging reviews of these headphones..  My need combines portability and also noise canceling.. so what do you think??

I am a newbie to this site and have just started to experiment with digitizing my CD collection.. so  go easy and make the comments user friendly for this old guy

Thanks for your time

Don J

They are easy to drive, so I would imagine they would pair well with just about any player.  They are one of the few noise cancelling  headphones that sound great in passive mode and even offer a separate amplification mode with no noise cancellation.

This article should be helpful:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-psb-m4u2-momentum-mdr-1r-qc15-beats-executive-dt1350-ue9000-beats-studio-2013-kef-m500-and-skullcandy-aviators

Users who are viewing this thread

Back