PSB M4U 2
Jul 8, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #452 of 733

I have done this comparison.  The M4U2 wins with bass and sub bass.  The bass impact of the M4U2 is more authoritative without ever being overbearing or intrusive and goes deep.  The D600 lacks punch in comparison.  I would say the M4U2 is one of my top 5 closed headphones and I prefer its overall performance with most genres to the D600.  The only area where I give a slight edge to the D600 is vocal detail and resolution.

Are you sure these were burned-in?  My D600 have great punch and detail.

Jul 8, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #454 of 733
Quote:
Btw MacedonianHero, how would you compare these to the 1R and UE9000? More neutral than them? More or less warm? Better bass impact, extension and how are the highs in comparison? Thanks in advance.

I find them more neutral than the 1R, UE9000 or Momentum. These three give you a warm, bassy sound. Very nice, but not neutral with some shaved off the top as well. The M4U 2s are quite a bit more balanced to my ears. 

Quote:
These are much better in all ways compared to the 1r and ue6000 IMO.

^ What he said. 
size]

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #455 of 733
Quote:
Yes, I used for several weeks before returning.  The detail is there, but I didn't feel the impact as I do with other top closed cans that are known for bass performance.

I don't mean to be rude but saying "weeks" doesn't describe how long you burned them in as it doesn't tell anyone how many actual hours were used with them.  They require quite a bit of burn-in.

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #456 of 733
Quote:
I don't mean to be rude but saying "weeks" doesn't describe how long you burned them in as it doesn't tell anyone how many actual hours were used with them.  They require quite a bit of burn-in.

You're not being rude at all, but please keep in mind that the merits of burn-in, as well as time, are regular topics of debate on Head-fi.  Most headphones have a 30-day return which I believe is a fair amout of time to evaluate if one likes a headphone, or not, regardless if burn-in is due to changes in the headphones or the adaptability of the human ear, or some combination of both.  Also, any perceived changes related to burn-in tend to be subtle vs. dramatic, so we may just perceive the D600 differently based on our comparative listening experience and genre preferences.

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #457 of 733
Quote:
You're not being rude at all, but please keep in mind that the merits of burn-in, as well as time, are regular topics of debate on Head-fi.  Most headphones have a 30-day return which I believe is a fair amout of time to evaluate if one likes a headphone, or not, regardless if burn-in is due to changes in the headphones or the adaptability of the human ear, or some combination of both.  Also, any perceived changes related to burn-in tend to be subtle vs. dramatic, so we may just perceive the D600 differently based on our comparative listening experience and genre preferences.

Well it sounds like you know what you're doing so I'll back-off about the burn-in.  Lol that was a damn good response too though.

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #458 of 733
Quote:
I find them more neutral than the 1R, UE9000 or Momentum. These three give you a warm, bassy sound. Very nice, but not neutral with some shaved off the top as well. The M4U 2s are quite a bit more balanced to my ears. 

^ What he said. 
size]

Thank you, that sounds good to me. Looks like I'll have to look into these for sure. :)

Quote:

Seconded, very well said indeed.

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #460 of 733
Quote:
This is from my personal perspective. just a regular guy,not a pro headphone reviewer. I did do some due diligence as best I could online of various headphones. All my tests were coming out of standard iPhone, ipad and Samsung S3

This is for people who are thinking Bluetooth for convenience of being able listen to music and to use the phone, without pulling it out of your pocket or bag and not being hindered by a cord.
Okay, so initially I wanted blue tooth headphones for mobility/convenience reasons, and never "really cared for sound quality."
After testing the Sennheiser mm-550 x, and no luck finding the UE 9000 anywhere (didn't want to spend $500 without trying them out.) I fully intended on being Bluetooth ready and cord free.
I walked into the one of the few high end audio/video places(this store in particular had the largest selection in my area.) hoping to 'B-line' it straight to the 550-x. After walking passed dozens of nice headphones, I made it, slightly tempted ,but focused on the Sennheisers.
Now, as much as I don't know about Hi-fi or mid-fi head phones. For the average person who's patience isn't the greatest with annoying Bluetooth problems. The Senns annoying habit of delay changing the track...waiting...waiting...waiting, finally. Answering calls, hearing the caller just okay, but my wife (who i got to call me) said I sounded muffled and sort of distant. Finally the most crucial reason I avoided the Bluetooth, when paired to my phone I could literally watch my phones battery drain. Which made me think, if my phones going to have to charge constantly, either my phone/music player will be dead,making the headphones useless. Or being attached via the cable. Also, I wasn't all to impressed with the sound, don't know how to describe it but it felt empty and not exciting.
I said screw it, if i am gonna have a cord in my way, i want something affordable and great, and walked over to the other headphones.
I tried some Schur open backed cans, AKGs and others.
THEN, I picked up the PSB M4U2. I was instantly floored, excited, and so impressed. I never really thought I could tell the difference between types of cans. It was like night and day. After 15-20 minutes of trying every type of music, at all different volumes and using the phones EQ(samsung's EQ so, so very much better then iPhone.) I pulled them off, realized I was in PASSIVE mode! Nice deep, not over whelming bass, clear treble, no distortion and great sound isolation as they fit me great.
I then turned them on, activating the built in amp. Put them on, about ready to start the 15 min process all over again, I stumbled upon the mute button on the cord. Which stunned me, pressing the mute amplified the voices around me. Awesome feature I didn't know they had. But as for sound quality, with the AMP on, much deeper bass, overall louder in every aspect. Not in a distorted, pull them of your head way. But clear, crisp sound. Fnally, The NC feature which I would use often, as I use a lot of heavy equipment. The sound quality suffered a little bit, but i walked out to a main road where cars, 18-wheelers are zipping by at 70km/h and they did VERY,VERY well, in my opinion. i have tried my cousins bose QC15, but when the batteries die, so does the music. And since i leave the house without my wallet somedays, i most likely would forget to buy batteries.

Sorry for the detours in my "review" and I don't know why these dont receive much attention online. I love them and am very happy with my purchase! Purchased them 2 days ago, could not be happier.

My opinion for a 1-10 review
Sound- 9
Comfort- 8 comfy ear cups, had them on for 8 hours. No fatigue.
Quality- 7 (sturdy feel, I read some of the headbands get cracks. So I did my best to attempt to stress them out. They held up well.) could have used a less plastic feel for $400
NC- 8.5

Today i decided to try them out sitting in my skidsteer. while revving it out, with the fans on, pushing snow, these did an AWESOME job! I could actually hear the music and my thoughts. finally had the ability to listen to music without going full ear blasting volume, barely being able to hear what I am listening to and still hearing the loud engines and fans.

Hello oilcity

Thank you very much for your review. I am now seriously thinking about getting this headphone. There is only one question that I simply cannot find an aswer. Is it possible to use it to answer skype calls on an iPhone? Or a macbook air also using skype? I understand you can use it to answer phone calls, but maybe skype is a diferent thing......
Best wishes!!
Igor

Aug 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #461 of 733
Wow I didn't know there's a thread for the PSB M4U2. I bought mine in December 2012 and I got them at employee pricing since my father works for PSB :) They are probably one of my favourite headphones as I prefer closed over opened. I have replaced the stock cable with a thicker cable. However, I am trying to find a 3.5mm slim jack that will fit the headphone inputs so I can make myself custom cables.   

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #462 of 733
Quote:
Wow I didn't know there's a thread for the PSB M4U2. I bought mine in December 2012 and I got them at employee pricing since my father works for PSB :) They are probably one of my favourite headphones as I prefer closed over opened. I have replaced the stock cable with a thicker cable. However, I am trying to find a 3.5mm slim jack that will fit the headphone inputs so I can make myself custom cables.   

Hello there gav007.

Would you be so kind to tell me if you can use the PSB M4U2 to answer calls in a phone (iPhone to be precise?) Does it work on a computer also, for use with skype? Thank you!!

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #463 of 733
Quote:
Hello there gav007.

Would you be so kind to tell me if you can use the PSB M4U2 to answer calls in a phone (iPhone to be precise?) Does it work on a computer also, for use with skype? Thank you!!

Hi Sarudia,

Yes you can use the PSB M4U2 to answer phone calls if you use the 4-pole cable that has the 3-Push Button Remote. There are two cables that came with the headphones, one is designed to be use with smartphones while the other is for digital audio players and home sound systems. I have never tried using the headphones and the 4-pole cable on Skype, but you would need a 3.5mm to headphone/microphone splitter because all computers have a separate microphone and headphone input.

You'll need a splitter like this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-3-5mm-SMARTPHONE-HEADSET-TO-COMPUTER-PC-HEADPHONE-MICROPHONE-ADAPTER-CABLE-/141029626582?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item20d60552d6

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #464 of 733
Quote:

Hi Sarudia,

Yes you can use the PSB M4U2 to answer phone calls if you use the 4-pole cable that has the 3-Push Button Remote. There are two cables that came with the headphones, one is designed to be use with smartphones while the other is for digital audio players and home sound systems. I have never tried using the headphones and the 4-pole cable on Skype, but you would need a 3.5mm to headphone/microphone splitter because all computers have a separate microphone and headphone input.

You'll need a splitter like this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-3-5mm-SMARTPHONE-HEADSET-TO-COMPUTER-PC-HEADPHONE-MICROPHONE-ADAPTER-CABLE-/141029626582?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item20d60552d6

That's so kind from you gav007. That's all i needed. I believe it will work on a MacBook Air because there is only one "in" plug for headphone and microphone. For the iPhone probably the same. Again, thank you for your kindness.

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #465 of 733
Stop it guys.

Old guys be nice to new guys - we all started from somewhere.

New guy, don't be too sensitive. You'll have to fit into an established community. Maybe spend some time to read & get accustom to the style of members here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back