Proof that the average consumer can't tell the difference
Dec 9, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #289 of 306

LMAO! Great analogy
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I think having full sized headphones in public is like having sex in public. Good idea but inconvenient and generally not a good idea. 

Dec 9, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #290 of 306
Dec 9, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #291 of 306
Dec 9, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #292 of 306
Dec 9, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #294 of 306
Quote:

Anyways, I don't wear Beats LOL I do wear the Turbine PRO Gold or ATH ESW10JPN which look good and sound nice. Wear a Grado or a Sennheiser HD280 and you look like a hobo. just a warning LOL

That's funny, I actually plan on getting a pair of Grados (well, Alessandros) as portable phones for the street.  I think they look retro-cool and don't collect fingerprints, yet they don't stand out like a sore thumb even though they definitely don't look like every other plastic wonder headphone everyone else uses.

Quote:
I have HD580's. Yeah...not going out in public. I like clothes though. 

I wear my HD 600s every day in public!  Granted, they're quite a bit less obtrusive than the HD 580s thanks to the grille and color change.  They're big but very classy looking.

Quote:
Could you imagine the looks you would get if you wore the K701's in public. Them things are huge.
biggrin.gif

To be honest, for a while I really wanted a pair partially as a fashion statement - even though that's something I never do.  Okay, well I really wanted them for the soundstage, but after hearing the HD 800s I realized I would be wasting my money on the (temporary and incomplete fix of the) K701s.  Funnily, I think they'd be decently well received by friends - but I'd be ridiculed to death by my dad and younger brother.

Quote:
I think having full sized headphones in public is like having sex in public. Good idea but inconvenient and generally not a good idea. 

My only real inconvenience is the inability to use a portable source (okay, maybe I could get a Cmoy), so I have to whip out my laptop + uDAC any time I want to listen.  Not too big of a problem because those two things usually go hand in hand - I'd compare it to having trouble getting it up while you're walking down the street - but as soon as you sit down somewhere it comes up on demand...

Dec 9, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #296 of 306

Quote:
The Beats aren't as bad as many people make it out to be.

A lot of people prefer it because of its sound signature.

Sound quality-wise, it is extremely overpriced. At least with the Studios, I unfortunately can't say the same for Beats Solo.
rolleyes.gif

Of course, a fashionable and alright sounding headphone with noise cancellation might be an alright price. Again, I am not sure if that is applied to the Beats Solo though.

Beats Solo really did sounded like... "nothing special" to me. I felt like if my CX300-II was better. >_>;

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #297 of 306
Once again I'll say the Beats can be had for $175 on Ebay. Head-fiers by used all the time so buying used should be no big deal. At that price, it's really not that bad. Solos are terrible BTW.

However, M50s compete very well at $100, though less the ANC, detachable cord, folding, and general popular design.

Quote:
Sound quality-wise, it is extremely overpriced. At least with the Studios, I unfortunately can't say the same for Beats Solo.
rolleyes.gif

Of course, a fashionable and alright sounding headphone with noise cancellation might be an alright price. Again, I am not sure if that is applied to the Beats Solo though.

Beats Solo really did sounded like... "nothing special" to me. I felt like if my CX300-II was better. >_>;

Dec 9, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #298 of 306

Quote:
Once again I'll say the Beats can be had for $175 on Ebay. Head-fiers by used all the time so buying used should be no big deal. At that price, it's really not that bad. Solos are terrible BTW.

However, M50s compete very well at $100, though less the ANC, detachable cord, folding, and general popular design.

Quote:
rolleyes.gif

My Grado SR225i's I got for $150 could pummel the Studio's. That's what really baffled me. 

Dec 9, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #299 of 306
I don't think it's fair to compare noise canceling headphones to non-noise canceling headphones, so much of the cost goes into the NC that yoru really left with $100 headphones when you listen to the beats.

Against other NC headphones would be a better comparison cause then the prices would be much closer and the quality similiar.

Dec 9, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #300 of 306

Quote:
I don't think it's fair to compare noise canceling headphones to non-noise canceling headphones, so much of the cost goes into the NC that yoru really left with $100 headphones when you listen to the beats.

Against other NC headphones would be a better comparison cause then the prices would be much closer and the quality similiar.

I agree with this... but as I mentioned previously, Beats Solo is nothing special. Actually, it really is quite crappy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back