1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Project Ember Review

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by razrr1275, Aug 7, 2013.
First

Back
65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74
76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85
Next

Last
  1. HOWIE13
    Is there no difference to the scratchiness at all whether you have the input capacitors bypassed or not?

2. amigastar
    Same amount of scratchiness.
    Honestly the scratchiness is driving me crazy. I wouldn't mind a little bit but it's rather loud, the only thing i can do is waiting for one of my channels to die, or hope that it's a normal behaviour.

3. HOWIE13
    What tubes are you using?

4. DavidA
    This is not normal, if I by-pass the caps there is major scratchiness, if the caps are used then there is no scratchiness on my Ember.  I don't think its just the tube but who knows, see if you can get in touch with Garage 1217, Jeremy is great with help and might be able to help you without sending the unit back.

amigastar likes this.
  5. amigastar
    So, my father took a look at the Ember and he also says its the Potentiometer, looks like this causes the scratchiness.
    What would be the best next steps? Clean it by myself or write Jeremy? I think i'm gonna contact jeremy.

6. DavidA
    Write Jeremy, might be the safest/fastest way to resolve the problem.

7. amigastar
    Thanks guys, you all been really helpful.

8. HOWIE13
    I can only echo what DavidA advises. Even 12AX7 tubes don't scratch with the input capacitors invoked in my Ember.
    Something seems wrong and I would contact Jeremy for advice.
    If you start doing things yourself you may invalidate the warranty.

amigastar likes this.
  9. RedBull
    My Ember was more scrathier before when new than now.
    Now it's so soft I couldn't hear it most of the time.

10. Ralf Hutter

Why not try cleaning it by spraying/dribbling some contact cleaner down the shaft and rotating it back and forth for a bit?

amigastar likes this.
  11. Amish
    I have no issues with scratchiness. lol Jeremy is a good guy. Contact him.

I do not bypass the caps myself which though some feel is the purist mode; causes the scratchy sound.

a little pic to share the love of Ember
    20160717_184231_HDR2_zpspprwzoke.jpg

12. ericr

MHDT Labs DAC + Project Ember!

Pretty awesome combo, right?

Which MHDT do you have?

Sorry for being a bit off topic (but very much worth looking into).

13. DavidA
    Its in his signature, a Pagoda

14. husafreak
    Fader or potentiometer lubes are quite common and necessary in the pro audio world. So you could try that or replace the pot. Hopefully that is the problem, but you gotta start somewhere.

15. Sonic Defender Contributor
    I'm curious if I can get a noticeable sound signature change with the Ember over say my iDSD Micro? I actually want a little tube sound to compliment my SS gear. I would be using the ONKYO A800, LCD 2F and a TH 600 so any advice/thoughts would be welcome.

First

Back
65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74
76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85
Next

Last