Project Ember Review
Jul 17, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #1,112 of 1,366
Same amount of scratchiness.
Honestly the scratchiness is driving me crazy. I wouldn't mind a little bit but it's rather loud, the only thing i can do is waiting for one of my channels to die, or hope that it's a normal behaviour.

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #1,114 of 1,366
  Same amount of scratchiness.
Honestly the scratchiness is driving me crazy. I wouldn't mind a little bit but it's rather loud, the only thing i can do is waiting for one of my channels to die, or hope that it's a normal behaviour.

This is not normal, if I by-pass the caps there is major scratchiness, if the caps are used then there is no scratchiness on my Ember.  I don't think its just the tube but who knows, see if you can get in touch with Garage 1217, Jeremy is great with help and might be able to help you without sending the unit back.

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #1,115 of 1,366
So, my father took a look at the Ember and he also says its the Potentiometer, looks like this causes the scratchiness.
What would be the best next steps? Clean it by myself or write Jeremy? I think i'm gonna contact jeremy.

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #1,117 of 1,366
Thanks guys, you all been really helpful.

Jul 17, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #1,118 of 1,366
  So, my father took a look at the Ember and he also says its the Potentiometer, looks like this causes the scratchiness.
What would be the best next steps? Clean it by myself or write Jeremy? I think i'm gonna contact jeremy.

I can only echo what DavidA advises. Even 12AX7 tubes don't scratch with the input capacitors invoked in my Ember.
Something seems wrong and I would contact Jeremy for advice.
If you start doing things yourself you may invalidate the warranty.

Jul 17, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #1,120 of 1,366

Why not try cleaning it by spraying/dribbling some contact cleaner down the shaft and rotating it back and forth for a bit?

Jul 18, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #1,122 of 1,366
I have no issues with scratchiness. lol Jeremy is a good guy. Contact him.

I do not bypass the caps myself which though some feel is the purist mode; causes the scratchy sound.

a little pic to share the love of Ember

MHDT Labs DAC + Project Ember!

Pretty awesome combo, right?

Which MHDT do you have?

Sorry for being a bit off topic (but very much worth looking into).

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #1,125 of 1,366
I'm curious if I can get a noticeable sound signature change with the Ember over say my iDSD Micro? I actually want a little tube sound to compliment my SS gear. I would be using the ONKYO A800, LCD 2F and a TH 600 so any advice/thoughts would be welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back