Project Ember Review
Jul 30, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #1,141 of 1,366
  Elise deliver different sound as Elise if fully tube amp, except the rectifier of course.  Bass is more rounder in Elise.
On the other hand, bass in Ember is equally extended, but with flatter, faster response as expected from SS output stage influence.  Pick your poison!
wink.gif

Interesting comment about the Elise and Ember sound signature.  How does the Elise do with the LCD-2? or any planar that you might have tried it with?

Jul 31, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #1,142 of 1,366
  Interesting comment about the Elise and Ember sound signature.  How does the Elise do with the LCD-2? or any planar that you might have tried it with?

Elise sounds good too with my LCD-2 r1, bass is as deep and punchy.  But due the weight and soundtage, I sheldom use my planar anymore.  Only once in awhile when I missed those liquid planar sound
biggrin.gif

Off topics:
Btw, I just ordered Koss ESP 950, waiting for delivery, yippe ...
This hobby drains my wallet and my room space LOL.

I just realized, paired with a very good DAC, BCL is a detail monster.  Watching movies yesterday, vocal texture is so very delicate (not thin or bright).  I am lovin it.

Jul 31, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #1,143 of 1,366
@Amish

'The sound changes a lot depending on the tube' 

That's so true, and explains the difficulty I have trying to describe the sound of any particular tube amp. How can the sound of a tube amp be defined without reference to the tubes?

Jul 31, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #1,144 of 1,366
  @Amish

'The sound changes a lot depending on the tube' 

That's so true, and explains the difficulty I have trying to describe the sound of any particular tube amp. How can the sound of a tube amp be defined without reference to the tubes?

haha yeah...it is a tuff one for sure.

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #1,146 of 1,366
Ember + Sylvania 6SN7W (metal or black base) FTW!

Wonderful euphonic tube sound with the speed and response of a solid state amp.

What impedance are you using?

Aug 4, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #1,149 of 1,366
I did opt for the La Figaro 339, but I still think an Ember 2 is in my future, just seems so darn flexible.

Aug 4, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #1,150 of 1,366
The low setting (,1 Ohms) mostly with my 64 Audio A12 IEMs. Just sold my HE-560, but with those I would use the middle impedance setting.

For the HE-560 I also use the middle setting.

I rarely move the jumpers off the lowest output impedance setting for any of my headphones.

For HD-600, 650, 800, DT-990 and T1 usually use the high setting, for HD-700, HE-400 and LCD-2f its the middle setting and all other headphones are on the low setting for me.

Aug 4, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #1,151 of 1,366
  For the HE-560 I also use the middle setting.

For HD-600, 650, 800, DT-990 and T1 usually use the high setting, for HD-700, HE-400 and LCD-2f its the middle setting and all other headphones are on the low setting for me.

I have all that first group except for the T1.

I must experiment more with output impedances.(once I stop tube rolling 
biggrin.gif
)

Aug 4, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #1,152 of 1,366

I have all that first group except for the T1.

I must experiment more with output impedances.(once I stop tube rolling 
biggrin.gif
)

Stop kidding your self, you will actually stop rolling tubes?
eek.gif
 , all kidding aside, changing the output impedance along with rolling tubes is a big part of the appeal the Ember has for me.  I think the Ember is one of the best starter amps to get since you can control variables (tubes and impedance) and listen to the changes in sound and I found it a great training aid.  If you can't hear the changes when rolling tubes or with different output impedance then you have reached your end game since improvements in sound above this level are even smaller most of the time IMO.

Aug 4, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #1,153 of 1,366
  Stop kidding your self, you will actually stop rolling tubes?
eek.gif
 , all kidding aside, changing the output impedance along with rolling tubes is a big part of the appeal the Ember has for me.  I think the Ember is one of the best starter amps to get since you can control variables (tubes and impedance) and listen to the changes in sound and I found it a great training aid.  If you can't hear the changes when rolling tubes or with different output impedance then you have reached your end game since improvements in sound above this level are even smaller most of the time IMO.

You are absolutely correct and I agree entirely about what you say about Ember being a great training aid.

It's just laziness that's stopped me changing the output impedances. I'll stick a couple of my favourite tubes into Ember and give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back