1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Project Ember Review

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by razrr1275, Aug 7, 2013.
First

Back
66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75
77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86
Next

Last
  1. DecentLevi

I've tried the iDSD Micro several times, and owned the Ember for a year. I would say overall, the Ember would be a downgrade in overall refinement; the only benefit being able to customize the sound with a tube 'flavor' of choice

A major tube amp upgrade from that would be the Zana Deux or Elise

2. Sonic Defender Contributor
    Thanks, and yes I do get that, but the tube flavor is what I'm after. The Elise does look intriguing, but the shipping would be killer expensive I'm sure.

3. DecentLevi
    Elise shipping was only $68 and took about 10 days to the US anyway

The Ember is faultless for what it is though, and good price/performance ratio

4. Sonic Defender Contributor
    Thanks, that is still a great deal of money, so it would likely be a little more to Canada, at least $100 in Canadian dollars which is way too much as I'm sure there are competitive products closer to home.

5. Tuneslover

...and then there's that miserable 30% exchange rate too.

6. HOWIE13
    Just out of interest when you purchase from N.America do you have to pay any additional taxes on top of the Polish VAT or are you exempt from Polish VAT and only pay American tax?

7. DecentLevi
    I certaintly don't think I was charged any taxes, and shipping / customs was a breeze to the US.

PS, check out my comparison of the three variants of Fostex TH-00 including a new prototype, and the Elise vs. LC, etc.:
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/814762/massdrop-fostex-th-x00-ebony-impressions-thread/75#post_12754668

8. HOWIE13
    That's great. That's saved you 21% of the cost then compared to if you lived in Europe.

9. RedBull

Ember offer a different flavours than the Elise. I still like both equally.

10. Amish
    I've owned and still own an assortment of amps and I always come back to the Ember. It is just a fantastic little amp that does everything well.

I've pitted it against amps in the$300 to $1000 to $1600 range and came away thinking it does music just as well. I've been on a mission to find that amp that makes me put the Ember aside...still looking.

Now if listening to my HD600 headphones then I do prefer my OTL amp. But that is only if using my HD600s.

11. Sonic Defender Contributor
    May I ask if the Ember has that tube sound to some extent? I have never owned a hybrid, and at this point I want a little tube euphonic, especially in the mids. I would be using it with an LCD 2F, ONKYO A800 (32ohm 100db sensitivity) and a TH 600. The only valve amp I owned was a first generation Valhalla so it has been a while. 

12. HOWIE13
    If by tube euphony you mean a warm, clear, easy flowing, vinyl type of sound the answer for me is yes.
    It does depend on the tube and other settings and there are plenty to chose from.
    I achieved a 'tube sound' from my other G1217 amps, Vali2 and LD2/2 at cheaper cost, but none has the versatility of Ember.

You could also consider Polaris, which although SS is tuned to have tube euphony.

13. Amish

Without a doubt it does. The sound changes a lot depending on the tube and I have a lot of tubes for the Ember. I can't express enough how much you can change the sound of the Ember depending on the tube. It is a great hybrid amp for tube rolling.

I have to agree that the Polaris (which I also own) does sound a lot like the Ember (depending on the tube being used in the Ember at the time).

14. SuperU
    That is really saying something as the Elise is FAR more expensive.

I am loving my Ember 2 as well. 

15. RedBull
    Elise deliver different sound as Elise if fully tube amp, except the rectifier of course.  Bass is more rounder in Elise.
    On the other hand, bass in Ember is equally extended, but with flatter, faster response as expected from SS output stage influence.  Pick your poison! [​IMG]

First

Back
66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75
77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86
Next

Last