Prog rock
Jan 2, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #871 of 4,494
Virgil Donati is an extraordinary drummer and a pretty competent composer as well.  He's not publicly well known, although most of his music is not anywhere near pop.  It's probably not what most people here are into, but I figured someone might hear something new and maybe enjoy some of it. 

He's played with Holdsworth, Vai, Steve Walsh, and Tony MacAlpine, as well as recorded with the bands Planet X, Beyond Turbines, and OTV (On The Virg not One True Voice). 

He's currently working on a new album with a band that's being funded on PledgeMusic.  So far there's only a short, one minute snippet available, which is on this promotional video that I've cued up.  Looking forward to the album, of which the guitarist said,  "We will provide a dynamic master, we are against the "loudness war!"  More snippets as they trickle in. 

IceFish promo - about 1-1/2 minutes.

An improve session promo (jazzy) about 3-1/2 minutes. 

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #872 of 4,494
Dudes! Dudettes!

I have always found that there is a large degree of overlap between hard rock/psychedelic rock/Progressive music. I also never know where I am going to find something new (old).

I was watching Ash Vs. Evil Dead just a few minutes ago, and the second this came on I knew I had to share it. This song was being played during the closing credits, and reminds me how much great music from even 40 years ago is probably undiscovered by many of us. This might not be "progressive" per se, but it definitely reminds me of old Hawkwind and a lot of the trippy stuff from the early to mid-seventies.

Anyway, enjoy… Neil Merryweather and "Star Rider".

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/Lnj6qMCnk_0[/VIDEO]

Jan 2, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #874 of 4,494
God, I miss PT

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/p7uMYGhtBuA[/VIDEO]

I'll see you, and raise you one.

My favorite from that era. Makes this old, fat heathen dance!!!

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/fQKfabzI9qo[/VIDEO]

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #875 of 4,494
It would seem that Steven is content to continue his solo career. By now most, if not all, of the ex-members of Porcupine Tree have moved on and are pursuing projects of their own. I don't like it. It's like Roger Waters deciding to break up Pink Floyd right after Wish You Were Here.

Jan 5, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #879 of 4,494
Virgil Donati is an extraordinary drummer and a pretty competent composer as well.  He's not publicly well known, although most of his music is not anywhere near pop.  It's probably not what most people here are into, but I figured someone might hear something new and maybe enjoy some of it. 

He's played with Holdsworth, Vai, Steve Walsh, and Tony MacAlpine, as well as recorded with the bands Planet X, Beyond Turbines, and OTV (On The Virg not One True Voice). 

He's currently working on a new album with a band that's being funded on PledgeMusic.  So far there's only a short, one minute snippet available, which is on this promotional video that I've cued up.  Looking forward to the album, of which the guitarist said,  "We will provide a dynamic master, we are against the "loudness war!"  More snippets as they trickle in. 

IceFish promo - about 1-1/2 minutes.

An improve session promo (jazzy) about 3-1/2 minutes. 

Virgil is an incredible drummer with chops exploding from his pores. I suppose if he had made the cut with dream theater he would be better known, although in the musician's world he is held in high esteem. However, his music is not readily accessable so exposure is limited. I wish he could work with a band whose music is just a bit more engaging.

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #884 of 4,494
I am the only one who misses when Steven Wilson was in Porcupine Tree and his solo career through 'The Raven That Refused To Sing'? His last album 'Hand.Cannot Erase', his return to Blackfield, the fact that two of the new songs were written by the founder of XTC and the clip clearly show Wilson moving in a pop direction. If you combine Porcupine Tree, his solo work and all of his wonderful remixes, there is no doubt he is a giant of progressive music and has left behind a peerless catalog. I don't mind when artists, see Genesis, abandon progressive music to make a buck but let's be honest Wilson can barely be classified as progressive anymore.

p.s. I wrote this while listening to Wilson's 2016 remaster of his first solo album 'Insurgentes'. Great remaster!

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #885 of 4,494
Tidal emailed informing me of their new "Masters" option which streams MQA (whatever that is). Anyway, I took a peak at the "Masters" albums that they currently have available and Aqualung (Steven Wilson mix and master) is near the top of the list. I must admit, it's sounding damned fine! Maybe MQA streaming isn't just a gimmick?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back