Prog rock
Jan 6, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #886 of 4,573
  Tidal emailed informing me of their new "Masters" option which streams MQA (whatever that is). Anyway, I took a peak at the "Masters" albums that they currently have available and Aqualung (Steven Wilson mix and master) is near the top of the list. I must admit, it's sounding damned fine! Maybe MQA streaming isn't just a gimmick?

Who claims that it is a gimmick? It is clearly not. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #887 of 4,573

Nobody claimed it - I was just wondering it. But like you said, it's not :)

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #888 of 4,573

It may not be a gimmick but since only Warner music, to my knowledge, is currently producing MQA files and they have very very little progressive artists I do not see this being a trend. Take a look at post three from Jason Stoddard of the attached thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/819993/what-is-the-state-of-mqa-and-would-it-influence-your-decision-to-purchase-an-expensive-dac-today/0_20#post_12857883

My entire music catalog is the finest available masters and the highest resolution possible and the highest resolution of my artists is 96/24 mostly mixed by Steven Wilson or his albums. The new Opeth was 24/44.1 and the new Neal Morse was only 16/48. MQA is a solution to a problem that does not really exist for progressive music. Take a look at HDTracks for example and notice the dearth of progressive titles.

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #889 of 4,573
It may not be a gimmick but since only Warner music, to my knowledge, is currently producing MQA files and they have very very little progressive artists I do not see this being a trend. Take a look at post three from Jason Stoddard of the attached thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/819993/what-is-the-state-of-mqa-and-would-it-influence-your-decision-to-purchase-an-expensive-dac-today/0_20#post_12857883

My entire music catalog is the finest available masters and the highest resolution possible and the highest resolution of my artists is 96/24 mostly mixed by Steven Wilson or his albums. The new Opeth was 24/44.1 and the new Neal Morse was only 16/48. MQA is a solution to a problem that does not really exist for progressive music. Take a look at HDTracks for example and notice the dearth of progressive titles.

Interesting and divisive thread! Fwiw, my dac (zuperdac) doesn't support MQA decoding, so I suppose I'm listening to Tidal MQA via 96/24. Which is fine. And at least the albums are remastered, so in theory that's good. For someone such as yourself, I can see the limited appeal.

Jan 9, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #890 of 4,573
Interesting and divisive thread! Fwiw, my dac (zuperdac) doesn't support MQA decoding, so I suppose I'm listening to Tidal MQA via 96/24. Which is fine. And at least the albums are remastered, so in theory that's good. For someone such as yourself, I can see the limited appeal.

I know but if I were you I would be a bit worried with MQA as the big question is who is doing the remaster. I remember getting excited for the SACD remasters of the classic Genesis catalog in 2008. Unfortunately, the remasters were an unmitigated disaster or when Peter Mew at the record company's behest brightened the Wilson remix of 'Thick As A Brick'.

I have been reading the MQA thread here at Head-Fi and it appears to come down more on the remaster and less for the new MQA encoding for the improvement of the sound.

Jan 13, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #894 of 4,573
This is also very interesting. Talks about music, film, live in general, new directions for him and states clearly that the band Porcupine Tree no longer exists. Steven Wilson is really a special person and these videos help knowing him better.

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #895 of 4,573
  This is also very interesting. Talks about music, film, live in general, new directions for him and states clearly that the band Porcupine Tree no longer exists. Steven Wilson is really a special person and these videos help knowing him better.

It's nice to hear he is very aware of what I think many of the long term fans of the genre expect of him - change.
Too many good musicians get stuck doing the same thing. As much as I would love new PT record, it probably would not be as interesting as whatever crazy electropop mess SW will put out next :)

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #896 of 4,573

It's nice to hear he is very aware of what I think many of the long term fans of the genre expect of him - change.
Too many good musicians get stuck doing the same thing. As much as I would love new PT record, it probably would not be as interesting as whatever crazy electropop mess SW will put out next :)

Yeah, I also don't mind change if it comes with something good and innovative it can take any direction. I queued for streaming some albums and bands that he talks about in these two videos and are new to me: XTC, The Dukes of Stratosphear, The Blue Nile - Hats, ELO - Out Of The Blue, Nick Drake, No-Man, David Sylvian.

Oh and I'll have to get into that "Donna Summer - Love To Love You Baby" album that along with DSOTM are his cornerstones in music :)

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #898 of 4,573
  New Pain of Salvation is out now on spotify etc.

Nice way to kick off 2017 for prog.

Yes the album is really good 
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #899 of 4,573
  Very interesting interview >>

Thanks for posting. No doubt that SW is not one to waste his brain cells and he's very articulate and direct. I agree with his views on the labeling of music, i.e. Prog Rock. It's really a catch all for music that does not fall into the category of Rock, Jazz or Fusion, but can incorporate all 3 elements. When Theo Travis, sax, clarinets and flutes was a member of the SW band, Steven referred to his music as Industrial Jazz. Whatever it is he calls his music, it sure strikes a cord deep within and I consider "Hand Cannot Erase" a masterpiece and I don't use that reference lightly. Others that come to mind are The Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" and the Beatles "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." 
Steven also mentioned that when he writes the music he likes to control all aspects; that's an understatement. When I saw his band 2 months ago, the guitarist that replaced Guthrie Govan, David Kilminster played note for note the leads that Guthrie had written on the Hand Cannot Erase album. That's unusual as most band leaders will allow some artistic freedom as long as the soloist retains the essence of the music; not that I'm complaining because I don't see how you could improve upon Guthrie's playing. - Really looking forward to his new album. Cheer up Steven.. Ha!

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #900 of 4,573
The new Pain Of Salavation is on Tidal and I think it's their best album since Remedy Lane.

https://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/2017/01/05/pain-of-salvation-in-the-passing-light-of-day-album-review/

Hmm, I'm half way through it and pretty disappointed so far. What do you like about it? I am struggling to understand how these guys are considered "prog", they sound pretty standard hard rock to me - like Fates Warning. Be curious to get your take on the album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back