Prog rock
Jan 13, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #901 of 4,573

The new Pain Of Salavation is on Tidal and I think it's their best album since Remedy Lane.

https://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/2017/01/05/pain-of-salvation-in-the-passing-light-of-day-album-review/

Hmm, I'm half way through it and pretty disappointed so far. What do you like about it? I am struggling to understand how these guys are considered "prog", they sound pretty standard hard rock to me - like Fates Warning. Be curious to get your take on the album.

We don't have the same tastes my friend :wink:

To be honest with you, I have been a fan of POS since their first album in 1997 and I thought that the band was dead after the Scarsick album and all the lineup changes..

The new album is fresh, modern, back to the roots 'heavy' and very emotional at the same time.

Fates Warning is not a standard hard rock band, their songs are much more complex than what you think.  Have you heard their first albums ?  

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #902 of 4,573
The new Pain Of Salavation is on Tidal and I think it's their best album since Remedy Lane.

https://manofmuchmetal.wordpress.com/2017/01/05/pain-of-salvation-in-the-passing-light-of-day-album-review/

Hmm, I'm half way through it and pretty disappointed so far. What do you like about it? I am struggling to understand how these guys are considered "prog", they sound pretty standard hard rock to me - like Fates Warning. Be curious to get your take on the album.

I would have to agree that while it is a nice rock album I would hardly classify it as progressive. To be fair the only POS albums I enjoy are 'The Perfect Element Part I' and 'Be' and the live Transatlantic albums as Daniel Gildenlöw was the touring fifth member.

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #903 of 4,573

There are few songs in this one that are pretty straightforward, but if you don't think that this is prog by the end of the album - I'm not sure what do you expect of prog :)

It took me over a decade after I first heard them to start liking PoS, but Daniel is a great songwriter and a very distinct voice in prog arena. Worth keeping in the back of your mind even if you don't like his music now.

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #908 of 4,573
I am continuing my suggestion of overlooked albums and bands. This time it is from the greatest American progressive band ever. A band that has been around since the mid 1990's and because of the mismanagement of Sony records never achieved the recognition and fame they so justly deserved. Who am I talking about, none other than the Pennsylvania band echolyn. echolyn (yes, you do not capitalize the band) is without question or hesitation the greatest American progressive band ever. Not to slight early Dream Theater and others but echolyn is really special. echolyn should be considered pillars and giants of mordern progressive music but sadly they are not and to me that is a great tragedy.

My album suggestions for anyone interested are 'Suffocating The Bloom', 'echolyn 2012' (also called the windows album because of the album cover) or the 50 minute 'mei' (yes, one album one song 50 minutes long). Honestly, I own their entire catalog and you cannot go wrong with anything from echolyn.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #909 of 4,573
I am continuing my suggestion of overlooked albums and bands. This time it is from the greatest American progressive band ever. A band that has been around since the mid 1990's and because of the mismanagement of Sony records never achieved the recognition and fame they so justly deserved. Who am I talking about, none other than the Pennsylvania band echolyn. echolyn (yes, you do not capitalize the band) is without question or hesitation the greatest American progressive band ever. Not to slight early Dream Theater and others but echolyn is really special. echolyn should be considered pillars and giants of mordern progressive music but sadly they are not and to me that is a great tragedy.

My album suggestions for anyone interested are 'Suffocating The Bloom', 'echolyn 2012' (also called the windows album because of the album cover) or the 50 minute 'mei' (yes, one album one song 50 minutes long). Honestly, I own their entire catalog and you cannot go wrong with anything from echolyn.

I agree with you. I have always found it odd that DT is put up as THE amazing prog metal/rock band and these guys are ignored (basically). 

I don't get everyone's love for DT. Sure, they are brilliant masters of their instruments. However, the song writing levels a lot for my ears to desire.

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #910 of 4,573
  I don't get everyone's love for DT. Sure, they are brilliant masters of their instruments. However, the song writing levels a lot for my ears to desire.

We all have different tastes :wink:

Dream Theater used to be one of my favorite bands from 1992 to 2003 but I barely listen to them these days.  Their last 2 albums are awful.

Jan 17, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #914 of 4,573
Which one of the three would you recommend as the best for a beginner to listen to first?

Crystalline Dream, it's their classic :wink:

If you have Spotify or Tidal, try the album Room V.  (It's their last album before the death of the singer)

The bonus song on Room V is a Pink Floyd medley cover.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #915 of 4,573

Not sure about the greatest American progressive band ever, but an excellent progressive band for sure. Mei is such a good album/track.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back