Prog rock
Dec 26, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #856 of 4,573
I wonder how many members of the original band will be there. Sadly we lost Chris Squire, the only bass player they ever had and the longest member. I hope Jon will be there even though there was a bit of a rift between he and the other members as they recently toured with a vocalist from a Yes tribute band. I know Steve Howe and Alan White will be there and hopefully Rick Wakeman or maybe even Trevor Rabin and Tony Kaye. Bill Bruford perhaps. Patrick Moraz? I doubt it even though Relayer was a masterpiece. We shall see. When I first posted this another member of this forum simply posted "so?". I got reprimanded my a moderator of this forum by calling the guy an idiot. I was in the wrong by posting a disparaging remark. To quote James McCmurtry:

I hadn't intended to break the rules
but whiskey don't liars, it just makes fools
I didn't mean to say it, but I meant what I said
Too long in the wasteland must have gone to my head

Anyway how could someone of a prog rock forum make such a remark about Yes, perhaps the band most synonymous with progressive rock? The mind boggles. It would be like someone saying "so" about Woody Guthrie or Bob Dylan in a folk forum.

The "so" comment had nothing whatsoever to do with the music strengths of Yes but the utter irrelevancy and bias of the so called Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. A comment, I heartily endorse.

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #857 of 4,573
That may be true, but it's the only hall of fame rock and roll has and how is Yes being inducted so offensive to you? The points you make are all valid. But chill out my friend! Life is short.

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #858 of 4,573
That may be true, but it's the only hall of fame rock and roll has and how is Yes being inducted so offensive to you? The points you make are all valid. But chill out my friend! Life is short.

Same problem with the academy awards. At one point it was meaningful abd relevant, but sadly today they are both awards that are driven by mainstream consumerism. I am surprised someone that espouses a love of genuine prog would be interested in such rubbish.

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #860 of 4,573

My post was just pointing out the facts and I am calm so I do not need to chill out. Also, I would appreciate if you would read my posts about this issue. I am not offended Yes is being inducted far from it. I happen to be a fan since their classic albums were originally released and own all of the Steven Wilson remixes in 96/24 from 'The Yes Album' through 'Relayer'. So please again do not say I am offended when I am most certainly not.

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #861 of 4,573
My post was just pointing out the facts and I am calm so I do not need to chill out. Also, I would appreciate if you would read my posts about this issue. I am not offended Yes is being inducted far from it. I happen to be a fan since their classic albums were originally released and own all of the Steven Wilson remixes in 96/24 from 'The Yes Album' through 'Relayer'. So please again do not say I am offended when I am most certainly not.

I'm with you here. I think Yes is excellent and the Wilson remixes are fantastic.

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #862 of 4,573
OK man, I understand where you're coming from. We'll just have to agree to disagree. And I think it's time to move on. 

Has anyone listened to Steven Wilson's re-mix of Thick as a Brick? Sounds fantastic. I just wish SW would reform Porcupine Tree.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #863 of 4,573
OK man, I understand where you're coming from. We'll just have to agree to disagree. And I think it's time to move on. 

Has anyone listened to Steven Wilson's re-mix of Thick as a Brick? Sounds fantastic. I just wish SW would reform Porcupine Tree.

I agree with both the reformation of Porcupine Tree and the Wilson remix of 'Thick As A Brick'.

I hope your 'Thick as a Brick' is from HDTracks as the 40th anniversary release supposedly remixed by SW was further brightened after Wilson was finished by Peter Mew. Steven Wilson was so upset he published the flat transfer on HDTracks. You will know if it is the right version as Wilson broke was was a two track album (side one and side two) into eight songs.

https://m.facebook.com/swremixes/posts/1666823980216407

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #866 of 4,573
No I got the 40th anniversary disc from the library. It says remixed by SW. I was not aware of what you said in your post. How would I get the SW mix into 8 songs?

First again, I agree about Facebook. I am 50 years old and I have never had nor do I want a Facebook account.

The proper SW remix of 'Thick As A Brick' is available from HDTracks.

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #868 of 4,573
  New Pain Of Salvation

Interesting, I like the dialogue that starts at 1:03 and the "reasons" at 2:22
Best couple's relation themed song that I heard :) Sounds like Haken & Leprous & Gojira

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #870 of 4,573
I have an account with HD Tracks, but no money on my credit card That I can spend on HD Tracks. First off I bought my DAC(HeadRoom Micro DAC) that has a USB to SPDIF chip that will only play Redbook digital. 44.1K/16 bit years ago. Just like any normal CD or digital music track. HD Tracks are mostly 96K/24bit. An HD track like that would be reduced to 44/16 Redbook. So until I get a DAC or USB to SPDIF converter. The DtoA chip in my DAC can play 96K-24bit via coax or fiber(TOSLINK), but not USB.

However with all the gear I have working together creates incredible sound through my modified HiFiMAN HE-400 headphones. Listening to Steven Wilson's 41/2 disc and it sounds fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back