Problem with K701
Apr 10, 2007 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

hassan14a

Head-Fier
Hello.

I don't really know if it is a problem or if it is ment to be like this, but at high volumes on my K701 the S like words are very sharp and hurt my ears, but with my SR80 its just perfect at the same high volume.
My source is my onboard soundcard and my CanAmp

Anyone know what the problem is?

Apr 10, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by hassan14a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello.

.. at high volumes on my K701 the S like words are very sharp and hurt my ears, ..

I notice something like that with hi-hat cymbals, but mine are still burning in.

Apr 10, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 28
The K701 is much more power hungry than the SR80 -- try a more powerful amp.
wink.gif

EDIT: geardoc makes a good point -- are they brand-new?

Apr 10, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 28
For the record, I love my K701. Since I sold my Micro Stack they haven't seen much use, but soon I will have a very sweet Mid-Fi-approaching-Hi-Fi amp/DAC setup. They sounded wonderful with the Micro Stack and I can't wait to hear how they sound with the new setup.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701 is much more power hungry than the SR80 -- try a more powerful amp.
wink.gif

EDIT: geardoc makes a good point -- are they brand-new?

Well thats the problem, they are about 6 months old and with over 500 hours of use.
And ive been told the CanAmp is perfect for K701, so can it be my source?

Apr 10, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Hello.

I don't really know if it is a problem or if it is ment to be like this, but at high volumes on my K701 the S like words are very sharp and hurt my ears, but with my SR80 its just perfect at the same high volume.

The K701 is the problem. It is horrible at cymbals and similar and exaggerates sibilance. You will notice more flaws with the headphone soon enough.

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Hello.

What problem? That's just how the K701 sounds, unless the rest of your equipment alters the signal enough for them to sound more pleasing.

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #10 of 28
I have both the Heed and the 701s which are high resolution instruments which will match very well. However, as has been said. I too question your source and the material going through it.

It is true , the 701s are extended highly and will deliver what they are fed. If anything, the Heed is slightly rolled off in its HFs and it has pleanty of raw power so that isn't the problem . It has terrific gain and headroom.
In fact, I can't listen over the 1 o'clock position of the vol. pot. dependent upon the output of your source this should be consistant with your experience. Although, I do understand sound cards and ipods have lower preamp capabilitys than my sources.

I would suggest to hook up a CDP (borrowed even) and play a CD as a process of elimination experiment. I suspect then you can judge these statements of mine for yourself.

Although, it is true the k701s hfs are harsh when new. You say yours have 500hrs / check, scratch that.

Also it is true the k701s cymbals reproduction is not as refined as , say my RS-2s (same source) this will be exagerated and perhaps troubling at highest volumes; AND is recorded material dependent!

You say loud. Have you handed these to reasonable people to check for how LOUD you are listening? Just a thought.

Question , what are you using for I/Cs?

Question , what is this music being played , specifically.
Could also be possibly the compression of the material ?

I remain confident the issue is the source and possibly some combination of these above factors.

Best regards and good luck~

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701 is the problem. It is horrible at cymbals and similar and exaggerates sibilance. You will notice more flaws with the headphone soon enough.

You too need a new source~

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #12 of 28
From ferraro25's sig: "I generally leave a thread after I comment in it."

Sounds like a good policy.

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Man, I was bummed and mystified yesterday thinking that some music by Euge Groove had noise in it. Come to find out the noise is likely the sound of the wind instrument (sax) when the air is rushing thru. It sounds like someone talking with water in their lungs - raspy. And worst of all, its really there, made apparent by the K701's.

I do believe that the cymbal crashes and sibilance has eased with burn-in. I couldn't stand it last week. Now its ok.

Apr 11, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

rolleyes.gif
Uh, no. It's almost certainly the source. As someone else mentioned, garbage in, garbage out -- and this adage applies all the more with a high quality phone.

Apr 11, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You say loud. Have you handed these to reasonable people to check for how LOUD you are listening? Just a thought.

Well when i say loud i mean the volume knob on 10:30 - 11'o'clock

I guess i had a feeling it was my source, just seems hard to believe that changing to CDP would make that big of a difference
smily_headphones1.gif
, but i guess ill find out soon enough hopefully.

Maybe i should just buy a cheap nad or cambridge CDP to see how big of a difference it makes before going out and buying something more expensive.
If i can find a used one it would be even better to test out
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back