Problem with K701
Apr 11, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by hassan14a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well when i say loud i mean the volume knob on 10:30 - 11'o'clock

I guess i had a feeling it was my source, just seems hard to believe that changing to CDP would make that big of a difference
smily_headphones1.gif
, but i guess ill find out soon enough hopefully.

Maybe i should just buy a cheap nad or cambridge CDP to see how big of a difference it makes before going out and buying something more expensive.
If i can find a used one it would be even better to test out
smily_headphones1.gif

A cheap CDP can still be a "bad" source, in terms of sibilance, etc. I'm not commenting on the Cambridge or NAD players, as I have no substantial experience with them, but the point is that various types of sources may cause the same problem (assuming it's not the recording).

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #17 of 28
After 2 weeks of burn-in, and after trying them with various sources, and amps, I am returning them.
I just never warmed to their sound.
To me the bass is simply not extended enough, and the sound remains sort of distant, thin, sterile, and lifeless.
The leather headpad also hurts my head after awhile of listening.
I tried to love these phones and feel that I gave them more than a fair shot.
As much as I hate to admit it, I actually prefer the sound of my Sennheiser HD 600 and HD 650's by a good margin.
They may not be as spacious or as extended in the highs as the 701's, but I feel that they have more life to them, better dynamics, better tonality, body, and deeper bass.
The AKG's also have a touch of unnatural emphasis to the upper mids/lower treble that did not completely abate with burn-in that the Senns do not exhibit.
I really cannot see why all the magazines are using these as references?
I will probably get flamed for this, but it is how I feel.

Apr 12, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What problem? That's just how the K701 sounds, unless the rest of your equipment alters the signal enough for them to sound more pleasing.

Agreed. It is what it is, the sibilance, thinness, and lack of dynamics are inherent to the K701 and only an overly coloured equipment chain is going to ameliorate that.

Apr 12, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'd be inclined to say it's the onboard sound card. garbage in garbage out

OT, but who is that in your avatar?

Apr 12, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More! I want to hear more complaints about these cups! I've only seen so many positive reviews on these headphones that I was beginning to think these were invincible!!

the bad reviews usually consists of lack of burn-in, an unsuitable amplifier (or none at all), or an unsuitable source.

Apr 12, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More! I want to hear more complaints about these cups! I've only seen so many positive reviews on these headphones that I was beginning to think these were invincible!!

Just take cotdt's advice on the K701s. He is the best source for objective and honest advice about them.
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #24 of 28
Fritz 'll tell ya AKG sux and source don't matter its all a conspiracy...

BTW, that Heed, right, made by a AKG subcontractor ....lol

Sell sell sell.....

BTW hansen we had this long discusion 3 months ago and you haven't tried another source yet? Not that there is anything wrong with that, I believe I suggested for you to send the amp back at that time after 5 pages. Although, it too went off topic....I don't mean to be a know it all, but seriously some ears may not be suitable to Hfs or something. I only know my k701s initial Hfs have rolled off greatly and they do sound great with my Heed. I'm at a loss to explain it. *shrugs*

Sincerely
Best regards

O.T. D-Cee who's the hottie *blush*

/ Maybe do an ever popular AKG giveaway .....lol

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OT, but who is that in your avatar?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O.T. D-Cee who's the hottie *blush*

a counter-striker, i play (well used to) play counter-strike
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What?
confused.gif

(p.s. who's Fritz?)

He misspelled your "moniker'. Why does that bother you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back