Problem/disappointment with AUdio GD NFB-12 vs Audinst MX1
Jul 17, 2011 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

mbkennel

New Head-Fier

I posted this previously on "Full size headphone amp" forum but didn't receive any reply, I guess I was in the wrong place as I think it is really a DAC question.
Sorry, I'm a noob here (though I've been around other audio boards for a while).

I just received a Audio GD NFB-12 from pacific valve. I was hoping for an improvement over my existing audinst hud-mx1, being full size & seriously powered.

Well, physically it looks great, solid with a nice headphone amp. The problem is that 44/16 music (which is 99% of mine and I use Pandora etc where I can't insert a resampler) doesn't sound good. I read things about "tubelike", but it is really quite plump and unclear. (My music is 100% classical).   Tonality was at first somewhat pleasant, but there wasn't much depth or what I thought was true 'high-end' sound.   My speakers are great at resolving complex spatial depth (definitely better than headphones)

At 96/24 it was quite a bit better, but honestly I preferred the Audinst at straight 44/16 over everything. It had the right balance and actual deep bass. Of course it is broken in and the audiogd probably isn't yet. But the portable audinst with a cheapo switching power supply well beat the heavy desktop from a serious designer. Three is only a 30 day window to return to pacific valve. What else can I get at up to near $300 (maybe $500 if it rocks, used is OK!). I am interested in USB only and want a headphone amp and DAC with RCA out. My headphones are Senn. HD580 and Denon D5000. I was planning on comparing the audinst and audiogd and selecting which I wanted to use at home mostly with speakers (magnepan 3.6r) and which at work with headphones. I've read that the audio gd nfb-12 is 'tuned' to be tubelike, and I guess I don't like this tuning.

My precise question: which should I do?

0) wait for burn in? (How long? will it really change?  Components that I really liked, I never needed to 'learn' to like them, they started awesome and got awesome-er, e.g. the audinst was immediately better than my previous emu 0202).  There is a time limit for refunds, I don't want to waste too much time.

1) return AudioGD 12 to Pacific Valve and get Sparrow (probably cheaper B model)---does it have a different sound signature than the -12? @ 44/16

2) return AudioGD 12 for refund, eat the "restocking fee" and buy another Audinst?

3) try something else?  If so, what? where?

many thanks in advance,
matt

Jul 25, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 20
+1 on : return AudioGD 12 for refund, eat the "restocking fee" and buy another Audinst?

In fact I've made a similar upgrade, even higher grade.. I went for an NFB 11 on Sabre..  I ended prefering Audinst HUD-MX1 , but also had sold it hoping burn In would had made Audio GDs DAC better... I failed... 

Audinst Hud MX1 rocks..

Quote:
try something else? If so, what? where?

This is the problem I am bothering roght now.. What and where... Hard question indeed.. At least Audio GD's FUN isn't a worth upgrade over Audinst (tried both real-time A/B ). 

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 20
So you are connecting this only via USB? Well hate to break it to you, the usb implimentation on AGD dacs leaves a lot to be desired. That's why they have the DI which kicks the crap out of the built in USB on their dacs. Try coax and tell us what you think then!

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 20
Interesting to know that the cheaper Audinst had better SQ than the NFB-12, wich I was just about to buy! I wish the Audinst had a better casing.. not that important of course.

Has anyone else auditioned these units and had the same impression? I will be primarily using this over the USB input. Thanks!

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 20
you really need to go digital with audio gd stuff, USB just don't cut it anymore. I'm pretty sure things will get better out of the best connection and some time with the nfb-12 because I'm loving mine right now. Truly a bang for the buck high end dac and strong amp. NFB-12 will run stronger in the long run.

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #6 of 20
Sorry, I'm a bit confused here, so you're saying that it's good if you use it over the optical or coaxial inputs but that it doesn't perform well over USB? If so, what would be a better option for a dac/amp combo in the same price range with a solid USB DAC performance?

Thanks!

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 20
I didnt like the usb connection but it doesnt mean its not good. But if the usb is not cutting it, try optical or coax because i just liked it more. If its just usb, I think the Yulong U100 is not bad.

Quote:
Sorry, I'm a bit confused here, so you're saying that it's good if you use it over the optical or coaxial inputs but that it doesn't perform well over USB? If so, what would be a better option for a dac/amp combo in the same price range with a solid USB DAC performance?

Thanks!

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
you really need to go digital with audio gd stuff, USB just don't cut it anymore. I'm pretty sure things will get better out of the best connection and some time with the nfb-12 because I'm loving mine right now. Truly a bang for the buck high end dac and strong amp. NFB-12 will run stronger in the long run.

USB IS digital. Nothing wrong with using it.

Sep 21, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #10 of 20

Anyway, original poster back here. 

I found that with quite a long breakin the NFB-12 started sounding quite good, so I kept it.  I'm using it in my home hi-fi (speakers), and the Audinst at work with my cans.  Both USB-only plain old  44.1/16.

It's pretty unusual in my experience for bass to change alot during electronics break-in (it's usually harsh high frequencies which get better in electronics), but that's what happened with the NFB-12.  The wooly and fuzzy bass tightened up and sounded more normal.

I haven't rigorously tried a direct comparison recently; the NFB-12 is still a bit mellower in high frequencies in my general impression. 

However, I can't say that the NFB-12 is substantially better in the Audinst sound quality.  The Audinst seems to be a really great performer for the price, though the NFB-12 is not very expensive either as these things go. 

Sep 21, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #11 of 20
Considering the shipping price, NFB12 is at least 50$ more expensive then Audinst (230$ over 180$). And considering the overall costs, NFB12 is about 20% more expensive overall. 

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #12 of 20
20% for more inputs, a real power supply, gain adjustment, 8 filter settings (new model) and a fixed line level out (for separate preamp use). But if the Audinst sounds better to you, that's all that matters. You're about the 10th person I have read about who didn't care for the 12 at first then changed their mind after 100+ hours use. I am only selling mine as I ordered a NFB-10SE to replace it.

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #13 of 20
people just don't undertsnad how much equipment changes over time. Its like a completely different piece. I've seen people selling headphones after 2 hours of listening. Ridiculous

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 20
Well mine sounds fantastic - USB >NFB-12>HD600s.  Couldn't be happier with the unit.  I have the newer model, and with the ability to apply the filters, and tailor to your own sound preferences, I find it incredibly great value.

FTR - I was coming from an E7/E9 combo - and IMO the NFB-12 is a real step up - albeit for almost the same price bracket.

Sounds great with all 3 cans - HD600, DT880 and MS1i.

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
people just don't undertsnad how much equipment changes over time. Its like a completely different piece. I've seen people selling headphones after 2 hours of listening. Ridiculous

It's more like they never spend enough time to get acclimated to using something new; I don't believe the equipment changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back