Problem/disappointment with AUdio GD NFB-12 vs Audinst MX1
Sep 22, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #16 of 20

Quote:
It's more like they never spend enough time to get acclimated to using something new; I don't believe the equipment changes.

I believe it does. Ofc I also agree that you get used to the sound of a certain equipment over time.

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #17 of 20
Well mine sounds so-so : XtremeMusic -> Coax (Canare) > NFB-11 Non-USB > HD600s. Couldn't be happy with the unit. I have the newer model, and with the ability to apply the filters, and tailor to your own sound preferences, I find it not so great value (considering it hasn't USB connector either).

FTR - I was coming from an Audinst Hud-MX1 - and IMO the NFB-11 is a real side-stap - (but hey ! NFB11 shipped had cost me twice the price )

Sounds not great with all 3 cans - HD600, DT880 and VSonic GR07.

(Quite narrow soundstage, neutral-bright presentation, overall bright/sibilant amplifier performance, digital sounding device overall). 

Both Teclast T51 and HiFiMan 602 music players perform better. Hell... Even my old XtremeMusic card isn't a real down-grade in my opinion.. Not happy owner... Can not use my chain un-EQ-ed at all. Many times have regretted selling my portable Audinst. I wasn't quite happy with Audinst either, but at least, it was a good deal for the asked price.

Sep 23, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #18 of 20

Quote:
Well mine sounds so-so : XtremeMusic -> Coax (Canare) > NFB-11 Non-USB > HD600s. Couldn't be happy with the unit. I have the newer model, and with the ability to apply the filters, and tailor to your own sound preferences, I find it not so great value (considering it hasn't USB connector either).

FTR - I was coming from an Audinst Hud-MX1 - and IMO the NFB-11 is a real side-stap - (but hey ! NFB11 shipped had cost me twice the price )

Sounds not great with all 3 cans - HD600, DT880 and VSonic GR07.

(Quite narrow soundstage, neutral-bright presentation, overall bright/sibilant amplifier performance, digital sounding device overall). 

Both Teclast T51 and HiFiMan 602 music players perform better. Hell... Even my old XtremeMusic card isn't a real down-grade in my opinion.. Not happy owner... Can not use my chain un-EQ-ed at all. Many times have regretted selling my portable Audinst. I wasn't quite happy with Audinst either, but at least, it was a good deal for the asked price.

Are you from Europe? 

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #20 of 20
My advice (for what it's worth):

Keep the Audinst as a DAC (it's actually rather good!). As you seem to want a tube sound (and realise that "tube" does not equal "warm"), why not actually go out and buy a tube amp!
A Little Dot Mk. III should fit the bill (plus a matched pair of CV4010s on the input to replace the ropey stock tubes, and a decent RCA interconnect, e.g. Canare). You could also look at the Darkvoice 336SE (with some decent NOS tubes).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back