PRO 900 or ...?
Jan 20, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #16 of 21
Using the Pro 900's now. About 400+ hours into them.

I definitely recommend them for everything you've posted.
I managed to get them new for $320.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry, short post!

Jan 20, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #17 of 21
I bought a pair of PRO 900 headphones a couple of months ago (excellent price from IHeadphones in the UK), I'm not sure if this is good or bad thing but these headphones are the closest I have come across which give a listening experience close to my speakers, I think this may be due to their excellent bass response, some have critisied the PRO's as having excessive bass, I have found the bass to be excellent in fact the best bass I have heard from headphones, just right tight and with nice weight(very often lacking in headphones) double bass reproduction is again excellent, my main critisms (not major given their other attributes) are a slightly narrower sound stage and the awful 3.5mm connector to the headphone unit with which I initially had a lot of trouble in getting a good connection, I now leave the cable connected all the time to avoid this problem, although the headphones are well made the plastics don't quite have the quality look and feel of my previous AKG 701 headphones, but as the PROs sound so much better overall than the AKGs I can live with that. I have found the PROs match well with my LIttle Dot MKVII amp(which I also use with my Beyer DT880 in a balanced setup) but not with a MF V3, the PROs can also be driven directly by my Iriver 120 or my Cowon Q5 mobile players to resonable levels with their volumes flat out. Overall an excellent headphone one of the best on the market at the present time.

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #20 of 21
PRO900.  Whoever said they are inefficient either doesn't own them or is trying to power them with an E7.  I have a Hifiman EF2 (low power entry level hybrid amp/dac) and I can't even turn the volume knob up to the first notch (like, 7 o'clock, starting from 6) before they get so loud it's unlistenable.

I love them.  So much so that I sacrificed my XB700 so I could use the pads on the PRO900.  I listen to them a solid 10 hours a day.

Oct 30, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #21 of 21

Quote:
PRO900.  Whoever said they are inefficient either doesn't own them or is trying to power them with an E7.  I have a Hifiman EF2 (low power entry level hybrid amp/dac) and I can't even turn the volume knob up to the first notch (like, 7 o'clock, starting from 6) before they get so loud it's unlistenable.

I love them.  So much so that I sacrificed my XB700 so I could use the pads on the PRO900.  I listen to them a solid 10 hours a day.

Volume level has nothing to do with the drivers being driven at 100% of what they're capable of. You can probably turn up the volume to ear damaging levels with the Pro 900 unamped out of an ipod, but it'll sound like poop.
But you're right that a Hifiman EF2 would do a good job at driving the Pro 900, and the E7 would be lacking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back